*Click a link below to jump to the section
Submit a Manuscript
If you want to submit your paper, please send your manuscript to
JDR Editorial Office:
Please submit your paper electronically (PDF file is preferred) by e-mail with submission form below.
If you have any trouble or inquiries, please feel free to contact us via JDR contact form.
Manuscripts are accepted for consideration by the Journal of Disaster Research (JDR) with the understanding that they represent original material, have not been published previously, are not being considered for publication elsewhere, and have been approved by each author.
The language for contributions is English.
Manuscripts may be submitted in Japanese, which are translated by Fuji Technology Press Ltd., at the authors’ expense, and undergo full peer review.
Paper format for submission
Contributors are required to use following LaTeX format or MS WORD format in JDR style.
[LaTeX format for JDR Articles]
The above compressed files also contain manual (texManual.pdf) and template (template.tex) files, in addition to .cls and .clo files.
[MS WORD format for JDR Articles]
To clarify research positioning and purpose, authors should survey international literatures and list 20 or more references before submission. All JDR papers can be freely searched (by title, author, keywords, year etc.) and downloaded for free from this site. It is strongly recommended that authors include relevant JDR publications in references.
*When you refer to JDR papers in references, please use following description as a journal title:
J. Disaster Res.
The following types of JDR contributions are accepted. All submitted manuscripts shall be peer-reviewed. All forms of published corrections may also be peer-reviewed at the discretion of the editors.
- Survey Reports
- Disaster Letters (at the request of JDR editorial board)
- Disaster Reports (at the request of JDR editorial board)
Authors are required to assign all copyrights in the manuscript to the publisher, Fuji Technology Press Ltd. The resulting article shall be published under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/4.0/). For all circumstances not covered above, authors or their institutions must request permission from the publisher.
For further details, please refer to our Copyright Policy.
We have concerns that unfettered re-use allowed under the ‘CC BY’ license could lead to violation of an author’s moral rights and therefore we prefer ‘CC BY-ND’ license.
Instructions for Contributors
Please confirm the following documents in advance. Here is general information of JDR.
About peer-review process
The journal uses single-blind peer review. All submitted manuscripts are sent to two anonymous referees who evaluate them for originality, validity, novelty, methodology, correct citation of relevant work, and the importance of content and conclusions.
The time required for review depends on referee response – usually within about one month. In rare cases taking longer time, it may have been difficult to find a second referee.
When reviews are completed, authors receive referee's comments and a decision of acceptance, conditional acceptance with minor revisions, revision and resubmission due to the need for major revisions, or nonacceptance.
Revised manuscripts are returned to initial referees, who may request further revision. Once referees receive and confirm papers, they make a final decision on acceptance or nonacceptance. This decision is then reported to authors.
Page Charge and Reprints
- Page charge (Publication fee) is required for publication. This is mandatory publication fee for all authors.
- The page charge is considered as so-called article processing charge (APC) and no other charges are required for publication, except color printing fee which is applied only if authors require color page(s) in printed matter. No color printing fee is applied for electronic (pdf) version.
- The page charge of the manuscript written by English is 13,000 yen per printed page.
- The color printing fee is extra 23,000 yen per color page, irrespective of the number of figures contained.
- Reprints can be ordered in multiples of 100 at the price of (120 yen) × (number of reprints), regardless of the number of printed pages and of whether the article contains color pages or not.
- Only when reprints are ordered, oversea shipping cost will be added to the charge.
Required Documents (After Acceptance)
When a manuscript is accepted, author needs to submit the following documents to editorial office (mail).
- Final manuscript submission form
- Page charge agreement and reprint order form: scanned file
- Copyright transfer form: scanned file
- Electronic file of paper manuscript (with reference, keywords, technical terms) format: TeX or MSWord
- Figure files (MSWord, Excel, Powerpoint, JPEG, TIFF or EPS format preferred for TeX.)
- Profile for each author (with photos)
(Template files for 1,2,3,6 can be downloaded below)
Materials for final submission
[MS Word format]