Wearable Robot Arm with Consideration of Weight Reduction and Practicality
Akimichi Kojima, Hirotake Yamazoe, and Joo-Ho Lee
1-1-1 Nojihigashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
In this paper, we propose a wearable robot arm with consideration of weight and usability. Based on the features of existing wearable robot arms, we focused on the issues of weight and usability. The behavior of human hands during physical work can be divided into two phases. In the first, the shoulder and the elbow joints move before commencing the task by using the hands. In the second, the wrist joints move during the actual work. We found that these features can be applied to wearable robot arms. Consequently, we proposed hybrid actuation system (HAS) with a combination of two types of joints. In this study, HAS is implemented into the prototype wearable robot arm, assist oriented arm (AOA). To verify the validity of the proposed system, we implemented three types of robot arms (PasAct, Act, 6DOF) using simulation to compare the weight, working efficiency, and usability. Furthermore, we compared these simulation models with AOA for evaluation.
-  I. Jo and J. Bae, “Design and Control of a Wearable Hand Exoskeleton with Force-controllable and Compact Actuator Modules,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 5596-5601, 2015.
-  N. Kern, B. Schiele, and A. Schmidt, “Multi-sensor Activity Context Detection for Wearable Computing,” European Symp. on Ambient Intelligence, pp. 220-232, 2003.
-  H. Kawamoto and Y. Sankai, “Power Assist System HAL-3 for Gait Disorder Person,” Int. Conf. Computers for Handicapped Persons, pp. 196-203, 2002.
-  R. Khodambashii, G. Weinberg, W. Singhose, S. Rishmawi, V. Murali, and E. Kim, “User Oriented Assessment of Vibration Suppression by Command Shaping in a Supernumerary Wearable Robotic Arm,” IEEE-RAS 16th Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), pp. 1067-1072, 2016.
-  T. Morizono, K. Tahara, and H. Kino, “Choice of Muscular Forces for Motion Control of a Robot Arm with Biarticular Muscles,” J. Robot. Mechatron, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 143-155, 2019.
-  Y. Iwasaki and H. Iwata, “A face vector – the point instruction-type interface for manipulation of an extended body in dual-task situations,” Int. Conf. on Cyborg and Bionic Systems, pp. 662-666, 2018.
-  D. Nimawat, P. Raj, and S. Jailiya, “Requirement of Wearable Robots in Current Scenario,” European J. of Advances in Engineering and Technology, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 19-23, 2015.
-  F. Parietti and H. H. Asada, “Dynamic Analysis and State Estimation for Wearable Robotic Limbs Subject to Human-Induced Disturbances,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 3880-3887, 2013.
-  B. Llorens-Bonilla, F. Parietti, and H. H. Asada, “Demonstration-Based Control of Supernumerary Robotic Limbs,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robotics and Systems, pp. 3936-3942, 2012.
-  F. Parietti, K. C. Chan, B. Hunter, and H. H. Asada, “Design and Control of Supernumerary Robotic Limbs for Balance Augmentation,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 5010-5017, 2015.
-  B. Llorens-Bonilla and H. H. Asada, “A Robot on the Shoulder: Coordinated Human-Wearable Robot Control using Coloured Petri Nets and Partial Least Squares Predictions,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 119-125, 2014.
-  V. Vatsal and G. Hoffman, “At Arm’s Length: Challenges in Building a Wearable Robotic Forearm for Human-Robot Collaboration,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Human Robot Interaction, pp. 271-272, 2018.
-  K. Nakabayashi, Y. Iwasaki, and H. Iwata, “Development of Evaluation Indexes for Human-Centered Design of a Wearable Robot Arm,” Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on Human Agent Interaction (HAI), pp. 305-310, 2017.
-  M. H. D. Y. Saraiji, T. Sasaki, R. Matsumura, K. Minamizawa, and M. Inami, “Fusion: Full Body Surrogacy for Collaborative Communication,” SIGGRAPH Emerging Technologies, Article No.7, pp. 1-2, 2018.
-  T. Sasaki, M. H. D. Y. Saraiji, C. L. Fernando, K. Minamizawa, and M. Inami, “MetaLimbs: Multiple Arms Interaction Metamorphism,” SIGGRAPH Emerging Technologies, Article No.16, pp. 1-2, 2017.
-  M. Abe, T. Yamamoto, and T. Fujinami, “A dynamical analysis of kneading using a motion capture device,” Proc. of 3rd Int. Workshop on Epgenetic Robotics, pp. 41-48, 2003.
-  L. Qin, F. Liu, T. Hou, and L. Liang, “Kinematics Analysis of Serial-Parallel Hybrid Humanoid Robot in Reaching Movement,” J. Robot. Mechatron, Vol.26, No.5, pp. 592-599, 2014.
-  M. Z. Al-Faiz and A. F. Shanta, “Kinect-Based Humanoid Robotic Manipulator for Human Upper Limbs Movements Tracking,” Intelligent Control and Automation, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 29-37, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.