A Yank-Based Variable Coefficient Method for a Low-Powered Semi-Active Power Assist System
Andre Rosendo, Takayuki Tanaka, and Shun’ichi Kaneko
Department of System Science and Informatics, Hokkaido University, Kita 14, Nishi 9, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0814, Japan
In this paper, we developed a power assist system to help users on carrying heavy loads. This system uses the user input force and position to generate an aiding force, reducing the burden on carrying heavy loads. We adopted a semi-active methodology, combining an active with a passive element, aiming to match the best traits from both, and also considering a lighter motor, which makes the system reach its limit force. To control this lightly actuated semi-active system we proposed a proportional controller which has its gain tuned accordingly to the yank value; this is calculated by the derivative of the force. The controller method herein amplifies the system response whenever the user intends to change his movement, producing a better handling of the system and saving actuator power for either periodical or non-periodical movements. Future applications may involve creating a light assist system for portable applications or assist in heavy industrial environments.
-  H. Kazerooni, “Human power extender: an example of humanmachine interaction via the transfer of power and information signals,” 5th Int. Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, 1998.
-  K. Kiguchi, S. Kumar Kundu, and M. Sasaki, “Development of an inner skeleton Power Assist System for forearm motion,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.39, Sup.1, p. 525, 2006.
-  M. Yokoyama, G. Kim, and M. Tsuchiya, “Integral Sliding Mode Control with Anti-windup Compensation and its Application to a Power Assist System,” J. of Vibration and Control, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 506-512, 2009.
-  T. J. Yeh et al., “Control of McKibben pneumatic muscles for a power-assist, lower-limb orthosis,” J. of Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 686-697, 2010.
-  L. Huang, J. R. Steger, and H. Kazerooni, “Hybrid Control of the Berkeley Lower Extremity Exoskeleton (BLEEX),” Proc. of Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2005.
-  Y. Imamura, T. Tanaka, S. Kaneko, M. Yamanaka, and D. Hotta, “Design of Passive Power Assist Device for Care Motions,” ACDDE 2010 Proc., pp. 957-962, 2010.
-  T. Noritsugu, D. Sasaki, M. Kameda, A. Fukunaga, and M. Takaiwa, “Wearable Power Assist Device for Standing Up Motion Using Pneumatic Rubber Artificial Muscles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.6, 2007.
-  T. Doi, H. Yamada, T. Ikemoto, and H. Naratani, “Simulation of a Pneumatic Hand Crane Power-Assist System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.6, 2008.
-  K. Kiguchi, M. Liyanage, and Y. Kose, “Perception-Assist with an Active Stereo Camera for an Upper-Limb Power-Assist Exoskeleton,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.5, 2009.
-  M. Nakano, T. Tanaka, S. Kaneko, K. Yamano, and Y. Tsutsui, “Improving Maneuverability of Power-Assisted Valve for Fire Engines Based on Prediction of Valve Opening Times,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.5, 2009.
-  Y. Kadowaki, T. Noritsugu, M. Takaiwa, D. Sasaki, and M. Kato, “Development of Soft Power-Assist Glove and Control Based on Human Intent,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.23, No.2, 2011.
-  T. Kusaka et al., “Assist Force Control of Smart Suit for Horse Trainers Considering Motion Synchronization,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.6, 2009.
-  M. Uemura, K. Kanaoka, and S. Kawamura, “Power Assist Systems based on Resonance of Passive Elements,” Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4316-4321, 2006.
-  Y. Hayashibara, K. Tanie, and H. Arai, “Design of a power assist system with consideration of actuator’s maximum torque,” Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, 1995.
-  Y. Hayashibara, K. Tanie, and H. Arai, “Development of power assist system with individual compensation ratios for gravity and dynamic load,” Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1997.
-  M. Yokoyama, G. Kim, and M. Tsuchiya, “Integral Sliding Mode Control with Anti-windup Compensation and its Application to a Power Assist System,” J. of Vibration and Control, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 503-512, 2010.
-  A. Rosendo, T. Tanaka, and S. Kaneko, “A Novel Semi-Active Assist System Considering Low-powered Actuator Limitations,” Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, 2010.
-  A. Rosendo, T. Tanaka, and S. Kaneko, “Design of controller for a Semi-Active AssistMechanism considering Low-Powered Actuator Limitation,” Robotics and Mechatronics Conf., 2010.
-  M. Uemura, K. Kanaoka, and S. Kawamura, “Power assist system for sinusoidal motion by passive element and impedance control,” Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3935-3940, 2006.
-  T. Flash and N. Hogan, “The coordination of Arm Movements: An experimentally confirmed Mathematical Model,” The J. of Neuroscience, Vol.5, pp. 1688-1706, 1985.
-  F. Amirabdollahian, R. Loureiro, and W. Harwin, “Minimum Jerk Trajectory Control for Rehabilitation and Haptic Applications,” Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3380-3385, 2002.
-  F. Yates, “Systematic Sampling,” Philosophical Trans. of The Royal Society, Vol.241, No.834, pp. 345-377, 1948.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2012 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.