Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: Development of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle and Stabilization Along Z Axis and About Roll and Pitch Axes
Yusuke Sugahara*1, Yusuke Ikeuchi*1, Ryo Suzuki*2,
Yasuhisa Hirata*1, Kazuhiro Kosuge*1, Yukio Noguchi*2,
Satoshi Kikuchi*3, and Yasuaki Kohama*4
*1Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
*2Department of Industrial Management and Engineering, Tokyo University of Science, 1-3 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-8601, Japan
*3Department of Mechanical and Systems Engineering, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
*4New Industry Creation Hatchery Center, Tohoku University, 6-6-10 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
The goal of this study is to develop levitation stabilization control for an aerodynamically levitated highspeed, high-efficiency train, “Aero-Train.” Levitation occurs due to the wing-in-ground effect acting on a U-shaped guideway. To achieve our goal, we developed a small experimental prototype of the wing-in-ground vehicle, its dynamic model and control for stabilization along the Z axis and about the roll and pitch axes using a linear quadratic regulator, as described in this paper. Control effectiveness is confirmed by experimental results.
Yasuhisa Hirata, Kazuhiro Kosuge, Yukio Noguchi,
Satoshi Kikuchi, and Yasuaki Kohama, “Levitation Control of AEROTRAIN: Development of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle and Stabilization Along Z Axis and About Roll and Pitch Axes,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.3, pp. 338-349, 2011.
-  Y. Kohama, “An Application of ACV to Railway Transportation,” 25th Aircraft Symposium, pp. 128-131, 1987. (in Japanese)
-  H. Tomaru and Y. Kohama, “Wind-Tunnel Investigation of Aerofoil for Wing in Ground Effect,” Nagare, Vol.10, pp. 47-60, 1991. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Kohama, “Mechanical Civilization Induced Earth Pollution Problem, and Aero-Train,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.71, No.707, pp. 1733-1737, 2005. (in Japanese)
-  I. Tani, M. Taima, and S. Simidu, “The Effect of Ground on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Monoplane Wing,” Report of the Aeronautical Research Institute, Tokyo Imperial University, Vol.13, No,156, pp. 22-76, 1937.
-  R. G. Ollola, “Historical Review of WIG Vehicles,” J. of HYDRONAUTICS, Vol.14, No.3, pp. 65-76, 1980.
-  R. K. Nangia, “Aerodynamic and hydrodynamic aspects of high speed water surface craft,” Aeronautical J., June/July, pp. 241-268, 1987.
-  G.W. Jorg, “History and Development of the ‘Aerodynamic Ground Effect craft’ (AGEC) with Tandem Wings,” Symp. Proc. Ram Wing and Ground-Effect Craft, Royal Aeronautical Society, pp. 87-109, 1987.
-  K. V. Rozhdestvensky, “Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicles,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, Vol.42, pp. 211-283, 2006.
-  H. Tomaru and Y. Kohama, “Aerodynamics of Tandem-WIG in Guide Way,” Nagare, Vol.11, pp. 45-52, 1992. (in Japanese)
-  T. Kono, Y. Kohama, and N. Matsui, “Stability of Guide Way Type Wing in Ground Effect Vehicle,” Proc. of the Third JSME-KSME Fluids Engineering Conf., pp. 715-718, 1994.
-  Y. Kohama, T. Hikosaka, and H. Watanabe, “Experimental and Numerical Study of Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Ground Effect Transport System (GETS),” J. of the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences Vol.47, No.541, pp. 79-87, 1999. (in Japanese)
-  M. R. Ahmed and Y. Kohama, “Experimental Investigation on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Tandem Wing Configuration in Close Ground Proximity,” JSME Int. J., Series B, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 612-618, 1999.
-  S. Kikuchi, F. Ota, T. Kato, T. Ishikawa, and Y. Kohama, “Development of a Stability Control Method for the Aero-Train,” J. of Fluid Science and Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 226-237, 2007.
-  Y. Kohama, H, Watanabe, S. Kikuchi, F. Ota, and T. Ito, “Flight Dynamics and Development of the Stability Control Method of the Aero-Train. 1st Report, Flight Test by Pushing,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B, Vol.68, No.665, pp. 102-107, 2002. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Sugahara, Y. Ikeuchi, R. Suzuki, Y. Hirata, K. Kosuge, Y. Noguchi, S. Kikuchi, and Y. Kohama, “Levitation Control of Experimental Wing-in-Ground Effect Vehicle along Z Axis and about Roll and Pitch Axes,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 8-13, 2011.
-  L. V. Schmidt, “Introduction to Aircraft Flight Dynamics,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1998.
-  K. Honda, “Longitudinal Stability of WIG with Tandem Configuration,” Master thesis, Tohoku University, 2002. (in Japanese)
-  T. Ishizuka, “Aerodynamic Characteristics of Aerotrain Wings and Drag Reduction by Separation Control,” Master thesis, Tohoku University, 2002. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.