Software Deployment Infrastructure for Component Based RT-Systems
Noriaki Ando*, Shinji Kurihara*, Geoffrey Biggs*,
Takeshi Sakamoto**, Hiroyuki Nakamoto***,
and Tetsuo Kotoku*
*Intelligent Systems Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba Central 2, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
**Technologic Arts Inc., Cosmos-Hongo 9F, 4-1-4 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033, Japan
***System Engineering Consultants Co., Ltd., Setagaya Business Square, 4-10-1 Yoga, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 158-0097, Japan
In component-based Robotic Technology (RT) systems, launching the system involves installing component binary files to the target computers, instantiation of components, and establishing connections between components. In order to operate RT systems with many CPU nodes effectively, the deployment features provided by the middleware are important. Deployment means system life-cycle management, including software installation, configuring components, and launching components. In this paper, we describe deployment tools for RT systems. The component deployment functionality is realized based on the OMG Robotic Technology Component (RTC) specification . Description formats are defined, a service interface is designed and tools are implemented using the OpenRTM-aist that is the implementation of the OMG RTC specification. The implemented deployment infrastructure is evaluated and discussed, and issues and potential future work are considered.
Takeshi Sakamoto, Hiroyuki Nakamoto, and
and Tetsuo Kotoku, “Software Deployment Infrastructure for Component Based RT-Systems,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.3, pp. 350-359, 2011.
-  Object Management Group, “Robotic Technology Component Specification Version 1.0,” OMG specification, formal/2008-04-04, 2008.
-  M. Aoki and H. Ando, “Modularity: the Nature of Emergent Organizational Architecture (Japanese),” Toyo-keizai Shinposha, 2002.
-  N. Ando, T. Suehiro, K. Kitagaki, T. Kotoku, and W. K. Yoon, “RTMiddleware: Distributed Component Middleware for RT (Robot Technology),” 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2005), pp. 3555-3560, 2005.
-  M. Quigley, K. Conley, B. P. Gerkey, J. Faust, T. Foote, J. Leibs, R. Wheeler, and A. Ng, “ROS: an open-source Robot Operating System,” ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software, 2009.
-  H. Bruyninckx, “Open robot control software: the OROCOS project. In: Robotics and Automation,” 2001 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA2001), Vol.3, pp. 2523-2528, 2001.
-  E.-C. Shin, S.-K. Son, B.-W. Choi, B.-H. Hwang, and D.-H. Lee, “Development of OPRoS Software Components,” The 6th Int. Conf. on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence (URAI 2009), pp. 810-812, 2009.
-  A. Makarenko, A. Brooks, and T. Kaupp, “Orca: Components for Robotics,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2006), Workshop on Robotic Standardization, 2006.
-  S. Thrun, D. Fox, W. Burgard, and F. Dellaert, “Robust Monte Carlo Localization for Mobile Robots,” The Journal Artificial Intelligence, Vol.128, No.1-2, 2000.
-  G. Metta, P. Fitzpatrick, and L. Natale, “YARP: Yet Another Robot Platform,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotics Systems, special issue on Software Development and Integration in Robotics, Vol.3, No.1, 2006.
-  “JSR-000088 J2EE(TM) Application Deployment Specification 1.0 Final Release,” 2002.
-  OSGi Alliance, “OSGi Service Platform Release 4 Version 4.2 Core Specification,” 2009.
-  Object Management Group, “Deployment and Configuration of Component-based Distributed Applications,” OMG specification, formal/2006-04-02, 2006.
-  A. Carzaniga, A. Fuggetta, R. S. Hall, D. Heimbigner, A. v. d. Hoek, and A. L. Wolf, “A Characterization Framework for Software Deployment Technologies,” Technical Report Department of Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, April 1998.
-  Object Management Group, “Interoperable Naming Service,” OMG specification, formal/00-11-01, 2000.
-  G. Biggs, N. Ando, and T. Kotoku, “Run-time management of component-based robot software from a command line,” 2010 Second Int. Conf. on Simulation, Modeling and Programming for Autonomous Robots (SIMPAR2010), pp. 192-203, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.