Real-Time Decision Making for Autonomous City Vehicles
Andrei Furda and Ljubo Vlacic
Intelligent Control Systems Laboratory (ICSL), Institute of Integrated and Intelligent Systems, Griffith University, Brisbane, QLD 4111, Australia
This paper addresses the topic of real-time decision making by autonomous city vehicles. Beginning with an overview of the state of research, the paper presents the vehicle decision making & control system architecture, explains the subcomponents which are relevant for decision making (World Model and Driving Maneuver subsystem), and presents the decision making process. Experimental test results confirmthe suitability of the developed approach to deal with the complex real-world urban traffic.
-  P. L. McCarney, “World Urban Forum III – an international unhabitat event on urban sustainability,” background paper, Technical report, World Urban Forum, 2006.
-  M. Parent and G. Gallais, “Intelligent transportation in cities with CTS,” In ITS World Congress, Chicago, USA, 2002.
-  M. Parent, “New technologies for sustainable urban transportation in Europe,” In 4th Asia Pacific Conf. on Transportation and the Environment, Xi’An, China, 2005.
-  J. Baber, J. Kolodko, T. Noel, M. Parent, and L. Vlacic, “Cooperative autonomous driving – intelligent vehicles sharing city roads,” IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, March 2005.
-  Global Innovation Centre and Griffith University, “Background research on conduct of national/international market analysis – cybernetic transportation systems development&demonstration projects,” Technical report, 2007.
-  J. Kolodko and L. Vlacic, “Cooperative autonomous driving at the Intelligent Control Systems Laboratory,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 8-11, 2003.
-  M. Parent and G. Gallais, “Cybercars: Review of first projects,” In Ninth Int. Conf. on Automated People Movers, Singapore, 2003.
-  M. Yang, C. Wang, R. Yang, and M. Parent, “Cyberc3: Cybercars automated vehicles in China,” In Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting 2006, Washington DC, US, 2006.
-  DARPA, “Urban challenge rules,” 2006.
-  A. Bacha, C. Bauman, R. Faruque, M. Fleming, and C. Terwelp, “Odin: Team VictorTangos entry in the DARPA Urban Challenge,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.25, No.8, 2008.
-  J. Leonard, J. How, S. Teller, M. Berger, S. Campbell, G. Fiore, L. Fletcher, E. Frazzoli, A. Huang, S. Karaman, O. Koch, Y. Kuwata, D. Moore, E. Olson, S. Peters, J. Teo, R. Truax, and M. Walter, “A perception-driven autonomous urban vehicle,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.25, No.10, pp. 727-774, 2008.
-  C. Urmson et al., “Autonomous driving in urban environments: Boss and the Urban Challenge,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.25, No.8, 2008.
-  M. Montemerlo, J. Becker, S. Bhat, H. Dahlkamp, D. Dolgov, S. Ettinger, and D. Haehnel, “Junior: The Stanford entry in the Urban Challenge,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.25, No.9, 2008.
-  DARPA, “Sample route network definition file (RNDF),” Jul. 29, 2008.
-  A. Furda and L. Vlacic, “An object-oriented design of a world model for driverless city vehicles,” In 2010 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV 2010), San Diego, California, USA, 2010.
-  S. Thrun, M. Montemerlo, H. Dahlkamp, D. Stavens, A. Aaron, J. Diebel, P. Fong, J. Gale, M. Halpenny, G. Hoffmann, K. Lau, C. Oakley, M. Palatucci, V. Pratt, and P. Stang, “Stanley: The robot that won the DARPA Grand Challenge,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.23, No.9, pp. 661-692, 2006.
-  Team TerraMax, “Team TerraMax DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 – technical paper, 2005,” TerraMax technical paper Grand Challenge 2005.
-  D. Reichardt, “Kontinuierliche Verhaltenssteuerung eines autonomen Fahrzeugs in dynamischer Umgebung,” Ph.D. thesis, Universitaet Kaiserslautern, 1996.
-  G. Christos, “Cassandras and Stephane Lafortune. Introduction to discrete event systems,” second edition, Springer, 2008.
-  J. L. Peterson, “Petri net theory and the modeling of systems,” Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1981.
-  A. Furda and L. Vlacic, “Towards increased road safety: Real-time decision making for driverless city vehicles,” In 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, San Antonio, TX, USA, 2009.
-  A. Furda and L. Vlacic, “Multiple Criteria-Based Real-Time Decision Making by Autonomous City Vehicles,” To appear in the Proc. of 7th IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (IAV 2010), Lecce, Italy, Sept. 8-10, 2010.
-  B. Molinete, L. Bouraui, E. Naranjo, H. Kostense, F. Hendriks, J. Alonso, R. Lobrino, and L. Isasi, “CyberCars-2: Close Communications for Cooperation between CyberCars,” Technical Report Project No IST-2004-0228062, 2009.
-  G. Baille, P. Garnier, H. Mathieu, and R. Pissard-Gibollet, “Le cycab de l’inria rhone-alpes,” Technical Report 0229, Intitut National de Recherce en Informatique et en Automatique (INRIA), France, 1999.
-  C. Pradalier, J. Hermosillo, C. Koike, C. Braillon, P. Bessire, and C. Laugier, “The Cycab: a car-like robot navigating autonomously and safely among pedestrians,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 51-68, 2005.