Fabrication of Line and Grid Patterns with Cells Based on Negative Dielectrophoresis
Tomoyuki Yasukawa*,**, Masato Suzuki***, Hitoshi Shiku***,
and Tomokazu Matsue***
*Graduate School of Material Science, University of Hyogo, 3-2-1 Kouto, Kamigori, Ako, Hyogo 678-1297, Japan
**JST-CREST, 5 Sanbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0075, Japan
***Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Tohoku University, 6-6-11 Aramaki, Aoba, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  J. J. Pancrazio, J. P. Whelan, D. A. Borkholder, W. Ma, and D. A. Stenger, “Development and application of cell-based biosensors,” Anna. Biomed. Eng., Vol.27, pp. 697-711, 1999.
-  D. A. Stenger, G. W. Gross, E. W. Keefer, K. M. Shaffer, J. D. Andreadis, W. Ma, and J. J. Pancrazio, “Detection of physiologically active compounds using cell-based biosensors,” Trends Biotechnol., Vol.19, pp. 304-309, 2001.
-  S. Raghavan and C. S. Chen, “Micropatterned environments in cell biology,” Adv. Mater., Vol.16, pp. 1303-1313, 2004.
-  D. Falconnet, , G. Csucs, H. M. Grandin, and M. Textor, “Surface engineering approaches to micropattern surfaces for cell-based assaysm,” Biomaterials 2006, Vol.27, 3044-3063.
-  R. S. NKane and S. Takayama, E. Ostuni, and D. E. Ingber, and G. M. Whitesides, “Patterning proteins and cells using soft lithography,” Biomaterials, Vol.20, pp. 2363-2376, 1999.
-  A. Khademhosseini, K. Y. Suh, S. Jon, G. Eng, J. Yeh, G. J. Chen, and R. Langer, “A soft lithographic approach to fabricate patterned microfluidic channels,” Anal. Chem., Vol.76, pp. 3675-3681, 2004.
-  W. Tan, and T. A. Desai, “Microfluidic patterning of cells in extracellular matrix biopolymers: Effects of channel size, cell type, and matrix composition on pattern integrity,” Tissue Eng., Vol.9, pp. 255-267, 2003.
-  R. Singhvi, A. Kumar, G. P. Lopez, G. N. Stephanopoulos, D. I. Wang, G. M. Whitesides, and D. E. Ingber, “Engineering cell shape and function,” Science, Vol.264, pp. 696-698, 1994.
-  C. S. Chen, M. Mrksich, S. Huang, G. M. Whitesides, and D. E. Ingber, “Geometric control of cell life and death,” Science, Vol.276, pp. 1425-1428, 1997.
-  X. Y. Jiang, R. Ferrigno, M. Mrksich, and G. M. Whitesides, “Electrochemical desorption of self-assembled monolayers noninvasively releases patterned cells from geometrical confinements,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol.125, pp. 2366-2367, 2003.
-  Y. Li, B. Yuan, H. Ji, D. Han, S. Chen, F. Tian, and X. Jiang, “A method for patterning multiple types of cells by using electrochemical desorption of self-assembled monolayers within microfluidic channels,” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Vol.46, pp. 1094-1096, 2007.
-  M. N. Yousaf, B. T. Houseman, and M. Mrksich, “Turning on cell migration with electroactive substrates,” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Vol.40, pp. 1093-1096, 2001.
-  M. N. Yousaf, B. T. Houseman, and M. Mrksich, “Using electroactive substrates to pattern the attachment of two different cell types,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA., Vol.98, pp. 5992-5996, 2001.
-  H. Kaji, K. Tsukidate, M. Hashimoto, T. Matsue, and M. Nishizawa, “Patterning the surface cytophobicity of an albumin-physisorbed substrate by electrochemical means,” Langmuir, Vol.21, pp. 6966-6969, 2005.
-  H. Kaji, K. Tsukidate, T. Matsue, and M. Nishizawa, “In situ control of cellular growth and migration on substrate using microelectrodes,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol.126, pp. 15026-15027, 2004.
-  H. Kaji, M. Kanada, D. Oyamatsu, T. Matsue, and M. Nishizawa, “Microelectrochemical approach to induce local cell adhesion and growth on substrates,” Langmuir, Vol.20, pp. 16-19, 2004.
-  J. Edahiro, K. Sumaru, Y. Tada, K. Ohi, T. Takagi, M. Kameda, T. Shinbo, T. Kanamori, and Y. Yoshimi, “In situ control of cell adhesion using photoresponsive culture surface,” Baiomacromolecules, Vol.6, pp. 970-974, 2005.
-  H. Morgan and N. G. Green, “AC Electrokinetics: Colloids and Nanoparticles,” Research Studies Press Ltd., Baldock, UK, 2002.
-  T. Yamamoto, O. Kurosawa, H. Kabata, N. Shimamoto, and M. Washizu, “Molecular surgery of DNA based on electrostatic micromanipulation,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol.36, pp. 1010-1017, 2000.
-  K. E. Sung and M. A. Burns, “Optimization of dielectrophoretic DNA stretching in microfabricated devices,” Anal. Chem., Vol.78, pp. 2939-2947, 2006.
-  S. B. Asokan, L. Jawerth, R. L. Carroll, R. E. Cheney, S.Washburn, and R. Superfine, “Two-dimensional manipulation and orientation of actin-myosin systems with dielectrophoresis,” Nano. Lett., Vol.3, pp. 431-437, 2003.
-  R. Holzel, N. Calander, Z. Chiragwandi, M. Willander, and F. F. Bier, “Trapping single molecules by dielectrophoresis,” Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.95, pp. 128102-1-4, 2005.
-  M. P. Hughes, H. Morgan, F. J. Rixon, J. P. H. Burt, and R. Pethig, “Manipulation of herpes simplex virus type 1 by dielectrophoresis,” Biochim. Biophys. Acta, Vol.1425, pp. 119-126, 1998.
-  Y. Huang, K. L. Ewalt, M. Tirado, T. R. Haigis, A. Forster, D. Ackley, M. J. Heller, J. P. O’Connell, and M. Krihak, “Electric manipulation of bioparticles and macromolecules on microfabricated electrodes,” Anal. Chem., Vol.73, pp. 1549-1559, 2001.
-  B. H. Lapizco-Encinas, B. A. Simmons, E. B. Cummings, and Y. Fintschenko, “Insulator-based dielectrophoresis for the selective concentration and separation of live bacteria in water,” Electrophoresis, Vol.25, pp. 1695-1704, 2004.
-  P. R. C. Gascoyne, and J. Vykoukal, “Particle separation by dielectrophoresis,” Elelctrophoresis, Vol.23, pp. 1973-1983, 2002.
-  F. F. Becker, X. B. Wang, Y. Huang, R. Pethig, J. Vykoykal, and P. R. C. Gascoyne, “Separation of human breast cancer cells from blood by differential dielectric affinity,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol.92, pp. 860-864, 1995.
-  D. Holmes, N. G. Green, and H. Morgan, “Microdevices for dielectrophoretic flow-through cell separation,” IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Mag., Vol.22, pp. 85-90, 2003.
-  X. Y. Hu, P. H. Bessette, J. R. Qian, C. D. Meinhart, P. S. Daugherty, and H. T. Soh, “Marker-specific sorting of rare cells using dielectrophoresis,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, Vol.102, pp. 15757-15761, 2005.
-  M. Suzuki, T. Yasukawa, Y. Mase, D. Oyamatsu, H. Shiku, and T. Matsue, “Dielectrophoretic micropatterning with microparticle monolayers covalently linked to glass surfaces,” Langmuir, Vol.20, pp. 11005-11011, 2004.
-  M. Suzuki, T. Yasukawa, H. Shiku, T. Matsue, “Negative-dielectrophoretic patterning with colloidal particles and encapsulation into a hydrogel,” Langmuir, Vol.23, pp. 4088-4094, 2007.
-  N. Matsumoto, T. Matsue, and I. Uchida, “Paired cell alignment using jagged microarray electrode,” Bioelectrochem. Bioenerg., Vol.34, pp. 199-202, 1994.
-  M. Suzuki, T. Yasukawa, H. Shiku, and T. Matsue, “Negative dielectrophoretic patterning with different cell types,” Biosens. Bioelectron., Vol.24, pp. 1043-1047, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.