Rapid and Direct Cell-to-Cell Adherence Using Avidin-Biotin Binding System: Large Aggregate Formation in Suspension Culture and Small Tissue Element Formation Having a Precise Microstructure Using Optical Tweezers
Nobuhiko Kojima*,**, Ken Miura*, Tomoki Matsuo*,
Hidenari Nakayama*, Kikuo Komori*, Shoji Takeuchi*,**,
and Yasuyuki Sakai*,**
*Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Life BEANS Center, BEANS Project, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
Effectively organizing isolated cells to tissue elements having an appropriate microstructure is a fundamental issue in future tissue engineering, but biological cell-to-cell adhesion is too weak to assemble single cells directly. In order to overcome the difficulty, we applied an Avidin-Biotin Binding System (ABBS) to cell surfaces, and avidinylated and biotinylated cells could mutually bind in the short time they were mixed together. Unlike conventional intact cells, ABBS helped make larger spheroids. Interestingly, avidinylated and biotinylated cell adherence occurred within 1 sec using laser trapping, enabling single cell manipulation. We showed precise, direct single-cell-based tissue assembly using ABBS and optical tweezers, followed by damage-free tissue culture. The combination of ABBS and single cell manipulation has considerable potential for use in application such as tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, and drug screening system.
Hidenari Nakayama, Kikuo Komori, Shoji Takeuchi, and
and Yasuyuki Sakai, “Rapid and Direct Cell-to-Cell Adherence Using Avidin-Biotin Binding System: Large Aggregate Formation in Suspension Culture and Small Tissue Element Formation Having a Precise Microstructure Using Optical Tweezers,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.22, No.5, pp. 619-622, 2010.
-  R. C. Bates, N. S. Edwards, and J. D. Yates, “Spheroids and cell survival,” Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, Vol.36, pp. 61-74, 2000.
-  Y. S. Chu, W. A. Thomas, O. Eder, F. Pincet, E. Perez, J. P. Thiery, and S. Dufour, “Force measurements in E-cadherin-mediated cell doublets reveal rapid adhesion strengthened by actin cytoskeleton remodeling through Rac and Cdc42,” J. Cell Biol, Vol.167, pp. 1183-1194, 2004.
-  N. M. Green, “Avidin,” Adv Protein Chem, Vol.29, pp. 85-133, 1975.
-  N. Kojima, T. Matsuo, and Y. Sakai, “Rapid hepatic cell attachment onto biodegradable polymer surfaces without toxicity using an avidin-biotin binding system,” Biomaterials, Vol.27, pp. 4904-4910, 2006.
-  H. Huang, S. Oizumi, N. Kojima, T. Niino, and Y. Sakai, “Avidinbiotin binding-based cell seeding and perfusion culture of liverderived cells in a porous scaffold with a three-dimensional interconnected flow-channel network,” Biomaterials, Vol.28, pp. 3815-3823, 2007.
-  A. Ashkin, “Acceleration and Trapping of Particles by Radiation Pressure,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.24, 156-159, 1970.
-  H. Zhang and K. K. Liu, “Optical tweezers for single cells,” J R Soc Interface, Vol.5, pp. 671-690, 2008.
-  K. Ramser and D. Hanstorp, “Optical manipulation for single-cell studies,” J. Biophotonics, 2009.
-  P. Jordan, J. Leach, M. Padgett, P. Blackburn, N. Isaacs, M. Goksor, D. Hanstorp, A. Wright, J. Girkin, and J. Cooper, “Creating permanent 3D arrangements of isolated cells using holographic optical tweezers,” Lab Chip, Vol.5, pp. 1224-1228, 2005.
-  G. M. Akselrod, W. Timp, U. Mirsaidov, Q. Zhao, C. Li, R. Timp, K. Timp, P. Matsudaira, and G. Timp, “Laser-guided assembly of heterotypic three-dimensional living cell microarrays,” Biophys J., Vol.91, pp. 3465-3473, 2006.
-  U. Mirsaidov, J. Scrimgeour, W. Timp, K. Beck, M. Mir, P. Matsudaira, and G. Timp, “Live cell lithography: using optical tweezers to create synthetic tissue,” Lab Chip, Vol.8, pp. 2174-2181, 2008.
-  U. Wojda, P. Goldsmith, and J. L. Miller, “Surface membrane biotinylation efficiently mediates the endocytosis of avidin bioconjugates into nucleated cells,” Bioconjug Chem, Vol.10, pp. 1044-1050, 1999.
-  W. B. Tsai and M. C. Wang, “Effects of an avidin-biotin binding system on chondrocyte adhesion and growth on biodegradable polymers,” Macromol Biosci, Vol.5, pp. 214-221, 2005.
-  M. Nakamura, A. Kobayashi, F. Takagi, A. Watanabe, Y. Hiruma, K. Ohuchi, Y. Iwasaki, M. Horie, I. Morita, and S. Takatani, “Biocompatible inkjet printing technique for designed seeding of individual living cells,” Tissue Eng, Vol.11, pp. 1658-1666, 2005.
-  M. P. MacDonald, G. C. Spalding, and K. Dholakia, “Microfluidic sorting in an optical lattice,” Nature, Vol.426, pp. 421-424, 2003.
-  W. H. Tan and S. Takeuchi, “A trap-and-release integrated microfluidic system for dynamic microarray applications,” Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol.104, pp. 1146-1151, 2007.
-  J. Voldman, “Electrical forces for microscale cell manipulation,” Annu Rev Biomed Eng, Vol.8, pp. 425-454, 2006.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.