Rapid and Direct Cell-to-Cell Adherence Using Avidin-Biotin Binding System: Large Aggregate Formation in Suspension Culture and Small Tissue Element Formation Having a Precise Microstructure Using Optical Tweezers
Nobuhiko Kojima*,**, Ken Miura*, Tomoki Matsuo*,
Hidenari Nakayama*, Kikuo Komori*, Shoji Takeuchi*,**,
and Yasuyuki Sakai*,**
*Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Life BEANS Center, BEANS Project, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
-  R. C. Bates, N. S. Edwards, and J. D. Yates, “Spheroids and cell survival,” Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, Vol.36, pp. 61-74, 2000.
-  Y. S. Chu, W. A. Thomas, O. Eder, F. Pincet, E. Perez, J. P. Thiery, and S. Dufour, “Force measurements in E-cadherin-mediated cell doublets reveal rapid adhesion strengthened by actin cytoskeleton remodeling through Rac and Cdc42,” J. Cell Biol, Vol.167, pp. 1183-1194, 2004.
-  N. M. Green, “Avidin,” Adv Protein Chem, Vol.29, pp. 85-133, 1975.
-  N. Kojima, T. Matsuo, and Y. Sakai, “Rapid hepatic cell attachment onto biodegradable polymer surfaces without toxicity using an avidin-biotin binding system,” Biomaterials, Vol.27, pp. 4904-4910, 2006.
-  H. Huang, S. Oizumi, N. Kojima, T. Niino, and Y. Sakai, “Avidinbiotin binding-based cell seeding and perfusion culture of liverderived cells in a porous scaffold with a three-dimensional interconnected flow-channel network,” Biomaterials, Vol.28, pp. 3815-3823, 2007.
-  A. Ashkin, “Acceleration and Trapping of Particles by Radiation Pressure,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.24, 156-159, 1970.
-  H. Zhang and K. K. Liu, “Optical tweezers for single cells,” J R Soc Interface, Vol.5, pp. 671-690, 2008.
-  K. Ramser and D. Hanstorp, “Optical manipulation for single-cell studies,” J. Biophotonics, 2009.
-  P. Jordan, J. Leach, M. Padgett, P. Blackburn, N. Isaacs, M. Goksor, D. Hanstorp, A. Wright, J. Girkin, and J. Cooper, “Creating permanent 3D arrangements of isolated cells using holographic optical tweezers,” Lab Chip, Vol.5, pp. 1224-1228, 2005.
-  G. M. Akselrod, W. Timp, U. Mirsaidov, Q. Zhao, C. Li, R. Timp, K. Timp, P. Matsudaira, and G. Timp, “Laser-guided assembly of heterotypic three-dimensional living cell microarrays,” Biophys J., Vol.91, pp. 3465-3473, 2006.
-  U. Mirsaidov, J. Scrimgeour, W. Timp, K. Beck, M. Mir, P. Matsudaira, and G. Timp, “Live cell lithography: using optical tweezers to create synthetic tissue,” Lab Chip, Vol.8, pp. 2174-2181, 2008.
-  U. Wojda, P. Goldsmith, and J. L. Miller, “Surface membrane biotinylation efficiently mediates the endocytosis of avidin bioconjugates into nucleated cells,” Bioconjug Chem, Vol.10, pp. 1044-1050, 1999.
-  W. B. Tsai and M. C. Wang, “Effects of an avidin-biotin binding system on chondrocyte adhesion and growth on biodegradable polymers,” Macromol Biosci, Vol.5, pp. 214-221, 2005.
-  M. Nakamura, A. Kobayashi, F. Takagi, A. Watanabe, Y. Hiruma, K. Ohuchi, Y. Iwasaki, M. Horie, I. Morita, and S. Takatani, “Biocompatible inkjet printing technique for designed seeding of individual living cells,” Tissue Eng, Vol.11, pp. 1658-1666, 2005.
-  M. P. MacDonald, G. C. Spalding, and K. Dholakia, “Microfluidic sorting in an optical lattice,” Nature, Vol.426, pp. 421-424, 2003.
-  W. H. Tan and S. Takeuchi, “A trap-and-release integrated microfluidic system for dynamic microarray applications,” Proc. Natl Acad Sci USA, Vol.104, pp. 1146-1151, 2007.
-  J. Voldman, “Electrical forces for microscale cell manipulation,” Annu Rev Biomed Eng, Vol.8, pp. 425-454, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.