Frequency Analysis for Biped Walking via Leg Length Variation
Tetsuya Kinugasa, Shoichi Miwa, and Koji Yoshida
Okayama University of Science, 1-1 Ridai-cho, Okayama 700-0005, Japan
We analyzed the frequency response property of a biped realized with a sinusoidal leg length variation. Legs are not activated in the swing phase but excited through length variation, and walking is categorized as “Passive Dynamic Walking.” We provide dynamic and impact models to formulate walking, and define gain and phase properties as the frequency response. Leg length is controlled by a PD method and tracks to reference sinusoidal time functions. In some simulations, a resonance point exists for gain, gain corresponds to efficiency in the sense of consumed energy, and body inclination yields higher walking gain. We discuss the validity of frequency analysis comparing experimental results and simulation results.
-  T. McGeer, “Passive Dynamic Walking,” Int. Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.9, pp. 62-82, 1990.
-  K. Ono, T. Furuichi, and R. Takahashi, “Self-excited walking of a biped mechanism with Feet,” Int. Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 55-68, 2004.
-  S. Collins, A. Ruina, R. Tedrake, and M. Wisse, “Efficient Bipedal Robots Based on Passive-Dynamic Walkers,” Science, No.5712, pp. 1082-1084, 2005.
-  T. McGeer, “Stability and control of two-dimensional biped walking,” Technical report CSS-IS TR 88-01. Simon Fraser University, Centre for Systems Science, Burnaby, BC, CANADA, 1998.
-  H. Minakata and S. Tadakuma, “An Experimental Study of Passive Dynamic Walking with Non-rotate Knee Joint Biped,” Proc. of ICASE/SICE Workshop Intelligent Control and Systems, pp. 298-303, 2002.
-  H. Asano and Zhi-Wei Luo, “Parametrically Excited Dynamic Walking Control of Telescopic Legged Robots,” Journal of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.7, pp. 144-152, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  S. Miyakoshi and Gordon Cheng, “Examining Human Walking Characteristics with a Telescopic Compass-like Biped Walker Model,” Proc. of IEEE SMC, pp. 1538-1543, 2004.
-  T. Kinugasa, Y. Hashimoto, and H. Fuhimi, “Passive Walking of Biped Emu with Attitude Control of Body,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems 2003, pp. 346-359, 2003.
-  T. Kinugasa, K. Osuka, and S. Miwa, “Biped Walking by Variations of Knee Lengths and Attitude Control of a Body and its Frequency Analysis,” Journal of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.3, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. Wisse, “Three additions to passive dynamic walking; actuation, an upper body, and 3D stability,” Proc. of Humanoids 2004, pp. 113-132, 2004.
-  M. Haruna, M. Ogino, K. Hosoda, and M. Asada, “Yet Another Humanoid Walking –Passive Dynamic Walking with Torso under Simple Control–,” Proc. of Intelligent Robots and Systems 2001, CD-ROM, 2001.
-  K. Yamafuji and T. Kawamura, “Postural Control of a Monoaxial Bicycle,” Journal of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 74-79, 1988 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.segway.com/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.