Effect of Mechanical Environment of Focal Adhesions on Remodeling of Endothelial Cells Subjected to Cyclic Stretching Using Microsubstrates
Naoya Sakamoto, Yoshimasa Yamazaki, Toshiro Ohashi,
and Masaaki Sato
Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba-yama, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  P. F. Davis, “Flow-Medicated Endothelial Mechanotransduction,” Physiol. Rev., Vol.75, pp. 519-560, 1995.
-  A. M. Makek, S. L. Alper, and S. Izumo, “Hemodynamic Shear Stress an its Role in Atherosclerosis,” JAMA, Vol.285, pp. 2035-2042, 1999.
-  T. Takemasa, T. Yamaguchi, Y. Yamamoto, K. Sugimoto, and K. Yamashita, “Oblique Alignment of Stress Fibers in Cells Reduces the Mechanical Stress in Cyclically Deforming Fields,” Eur. J. Cell Biol., Vol.77, pp. 91-99, 1998.
-  H. C. Wang, W. I. Ip, R. Boissy, and E. S. Grood, “Cell Orientation Response to Cyclically Deformed Substrates: Experimental Validation of a Cell Model,” J. Biomech., Vol.7, pp. 130-138, 1995.
-  J. H. Wang, “Substrate Deformation Determines Actin Cytoskeleton Reorganization: A Mathematical Modeling and Experimental Study,” J. Theor. Biol., Vol.202, pp. 33-41, 2000.
-  H. Yamada, T. Takemasa, and T. Yamaguchi, “Theoretical Study of Intracellular Stress Fiber Orientation Under Cyclic Deformation,” J. Biomech., Vol.33, pp. 1501-1505, 2000.
-  S. K. Sastery and K. Burridge, “Focal Adhesions: A Nexus for Intracellular Signaling and Cytoskeletal Dyamics,” Exp. Cell Res., Vol.261, pp. 25-36, 2000.
-  P. Girard and R. M. Nerem, “Shear Stress Modulates Endothelial Cell Morphology and F-Actin Organization Through the Regulation of Focal Adhesion-Associated Proteins,” J. Cell. Physiol., Vol.163, pp. 179-193, 1995.
-  Y. Shikata, A. Rios, K. Kawkitinarong, N. DePaola, J. G. N. Garcia, and K. G. Birukov, “Differential Effects of Shear Stress and Cyclic Stretch on Focal Adhesion Remodeling, Site-Specific FAK Phosphorylation, and Small GTPases in Human Lung Endothelial Cells,” Exp. Cell Res., Vol.304, pp. 40-49, 2005.
-  M. R. Mofrad, N. A. Abdul-Rahim, H. Karcher, P. J. Mack, B. Yap, and R. D. Kamm, “Exploring the Molecular Basis for Mechanosensation, Signal Transduction, and Cytoskeletal Remodeling,” Acta Biomater., Vol.1, pp. 281-293, 2005.
-  D. Lehnert, B. Wehrle-Haller, C. David, U. Weiland, C. Ballestem, B. A. Imhof, and M. Bastmeyer, “Cell Behaviour on Micropatterned Substrata: Limits of Extracellular Matix Geometry for Spreading Adhesion,” J. Cell Sci., Vol.117, pp. 41-52, 2004.
-  J. M. Goffin, P. Pittet, G. Csucs, J. W. Lussi, J. J. Meister, and B. Hinz, “Focal Adhesion Size Controls Tension-Dependent Recruitment of α-Smooth Muscle actin to Stress Fibers,” J. Cell Biol., Vol.172, pp. 259-268, 2006.
-  T. Takemasa, K. Sugimoto, and K. Yamashita, “Amplitude-Dependent Stress Fiber Reorientation in Early Response to Cyclic Stretch,” Exp. Cell Res., Vol.230, pp. 407-410, 1997.
-  K. Naruse, T. Yamada, and M. Sokabe, “Involvement of SA Channels in Orienting Response of Cultured Endothelial Cells to Cyclic Stretch,” Am. J. Physiol., Vol.274, pp. H1532-H1538, 1998.
-  J. H. Wang, P. Goldschmidt-Clermont, J. Wille, and F. C. Yin, “Specificity of Endothelial Cell Reorientation in Response to Cyclic Mechanical Stretching,” J. Biomech., Vol.34, pp. 1563-1572, 2001.
-  A. D. Bershadskey, C. Ballestrem, L. Carramusa, Y. Ziberman, B. Gilquin, S. Khochbin, A. Y. Alexandrove, A. B. Verkhovsky, T. Shemesh, and M. M. Kozlov, “Assembly and Mechanosensory Function of Focal Adhesions: Experimental and Models,” Eur. J. Cell Biol., Vol.85, pp. 165-173, 2000.
-  A. E. Aplin, A. Howe, S. K. Alahari, and R. L. Juliano, “Signal Transduction and Signal Modulation by Cell Adhesion Receptors: The Role of Integrins, Cadherins, Immunogloblin-Cell Adhesion Molecules, and Selectins,” Pharmacol. Rev., Vol.50, pp. 197-263, 1998.
-  B.-H. Luo and T. A. Springer, “Integrin Structure and Conformational Signaling,” Curr. Opin. Cell Biol., Vol.18, pp. 579-586, 2006.
-  M. Thèry, A. Pèpin, E. Dressaire, Y. Chen, and M. Bronens, “Cell Distribution of Stress Fibres in Response to the Geometry of the Adhesive Environment,” CellMotil. Cytoskel., Vol.63, pp. 341-355, 2006.
-  J. L. Tan, J. Tein, D. M. Pirone, D. S. Gray, K. Bhadriraju, and C. S. Chen, “Cells Lying on a Bed of Microneedles: An Approach to Isolate Mechanical Force,” PNAS, Vol.100, pp. 1484-1489, 2003.
-  C. S. Chen, J. L. Alonso, E. Ostuni, G. M. Whitesides, and D. E. Ingber, “Cell Shape Provides Global Control of Focal Adhesion Assembly,” Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm., Vol.307, pp. 355-361, 2003.
-  F. S. M. Ismail, R. Rohanizadeh, S. Atwa, R. S.,Mason, A. J. Ruys, P. J. Matin, and A. Bendavid, “The influence of Surface Chemistry and Topography on the Contact Guidance of MG63 Osteoblast Cells,” J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., Vol.18, pp. 705-714, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.