Optically Driven Micromanipulators with Rotating Arms
Shoji Maruo*,** and Yojiro Hiratsuka*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya, Yokohama, Kanagawa 240-8501, Japan
**Researcher of Precursory Research for Embryonic Science and Technology (PRESTO), Japan Science and Technology Agency, 5 Sanbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0075, Japan
-  M. A. Burns, B. N. Johnson, S. N. Brahmasandra, K. Handique, J. R. Webster, M. Krishnan, T. S. Sammarco, P. M. Man, D. Jones, D. Heldsinger, C. H. Mastrangelo, and D. T. Burke, “An Integrated Nanoliter DNA Analysis Device,” Science, Vol.282, pp. 484-487, 1998.
-  T. Thorsen, S. J. Maerkl, and S. R. Quake, “Microfluidic large-scale integration,” Science, Vol.298, pp. 580-584, 2002.
-  A. Y. Fu, H. P. Chou, C. Spence, F. H. Arnold, and S. R. Quake, “An integrated microfabricated cell sorter,” Anal. Chem., Vol.74, pp. 2451-2457, 2002.
-  S. Takayama, E. Ostuni, P. LeDuc, K. Naruse, D. E. Ingber, and G. M. Whitesides, “Laminar flows Subcellular positioning of small molecules,” Nature, Vol.411, p. 1016, 2001.
-  G. Hashiguchi, T. Goda, M. Hosogi, K. Hirano, N. Kaji, Y. Baba, K. Kakushima, and H. Fujita, “DNA Manipulation and Retrieval from an Aqueous Solution with Micromachined Nanotweezers,” Anal. Chem., Vol.75, pp. 4347-4350, 2003.
-  Y. W. Lua and C. J. Kim, “Microhand for biological applications,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.89, 164101, 2006.
-  A. Ashkin, J. M. Dziedzic, J. E. Bjorkholm, and S. Chu, “Observation of a single-beam gradient force optical trap for dielectric particles,” Opt. Lett., Vol.11, pp. 288-290, 1986.
-  S. Maruo, K. Ikuta, and H. Korogi, “Submicron manipulation tools driven by light in a liquid,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.82, pp. 133-135, 2003.
-  S. Maruo, K. Ikuta, and H. Korogi, “Force-controllable, optically driven micromachines fabricated by single-step two-photon microstereolithography,” J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol.12, pp. 533-539, 2003.
-  Y. Hiratsuka and S. Maruo, “Development of optically controlled micromanipulation systems by using two-photon microstereolithography,” The Transactions of The Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, Vol.125-E, No.12, pp. 473-478, 2005.
-  S. Maruo and Y. Hiratsuka, “All optically controlled micromanipulation systems,” Proc. of Micro Total Analysis Systems 2005, pp. 1206-1208, 2005.
-  S. Maruo, O. Nakamura, and S. Kawata, “Three-dimensional microfabrication with two-photon absorbed photopolymerization,” Opt. Lett., Vol.22, pp. 132-134, 1997.
-  S. Kawata, H. B. Sun, T. Tanaka, and K. Takada, “Finer features for functional microdevices,” Nature, Vol.412, pp. 697-698, 2001.
-  P. Galajda and P. Ormos, “Complex micromachines produced and driven by light,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.78, pp. 249-251, 2001.
-  S. Maruo and H. Inoue, “Optically driven micropump produced by three-dimensional two-photon microfabrication,” Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.89, 144101, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.