Novel Human Interface for Game Control Using Voluntarily Generated Biological Signals
Keisuke Shima*, Masaru Okamoto*, Nan Bu**, and Toshio Tsuji*
*Graduate School of Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
**On-Site Sensing and Diagnosis Research Laboratory, National Institute of AIST, 807-1 Shuku-machi, Tosu, Saga 841-0052, Japan
-  Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “The fiscal year 2001 survey on actual condition of disabled child and person,” (in Japanese).
-  M. Suzuki, Y. Niida, G. Kamiyama, S. Yamashita, Y. Shiota, T. Tamagaki, and E. Ito, “The interface of a consumer game for a handicapped parson,” Transactions of the Japanese Society for Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol.42, Suppl.2, p. 140, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  J. B. Lopes, “Designing User Interfaces for Severely Handicapped Persons,” Workshop on Universal Accessibility of Ubiquitous Computing: Providing for the Elderly, pp. 100-106, 2001.
-  E. Ito, “Multi-modal Interface with Voice and Head Tracking for Multiple Home Appliances,” Proceedings of INTERACT2001 8th IFIP TC. 13 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, pp. 727-728, 2001.
-  O. Fukuda, S. Fujita, and T. Tsuji, “A Substitute Vocalization System Based on EMG Signals,” The IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, D-II, Vol.J88, No.1, pp. 105-112, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  S. Iga and F. Higuchi, “Kirifuki: Inhaling and Exhaling Interaction for Entertainment Systems,” Transaction of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 445-452, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Betke, J. Gips, and P. Fleming, “The Camera Mouse: Visual Tracking of Body Features to Provide Computer Access for People With Severe Disabilities,” IEEE Transactions on Neural System and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 1-10, 2002.
-  C. S. Lin, C. C. Huan, C. N. Chan, M. S. Yeh, and C. C. Chiu, “Design of a computer game using an eye-tracking device for eye’s activity rehabilitation,” Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol.42, No.1, pp. 91-108, 2004.
-  R. Krepki, B. Blankertz, G. Gurio, and K. R. Muller, “The Berlin Brain-Computer Interface (BBCI): towards a new communication channel for online control of multimedia applications and computer games,” 9th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems (DMS’03), pp. 237-244, 2003.
-  D. Specht, “Probabilistic Neural Networks,” Neural Networks, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 109-118, 1990.
-  T. Tsuji, O. Fukuda, H. Ichinobe, and M. Kaneko, “A Log-Linearized Gaussian Mixture Network and Its Application to EEG Pattern Classification,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol.29, No.1, pp. 60-72, 1999.
-  T. Tsuji, H. Ichinobe, K. Ito, and M. Nagamachi, “Discrimination of Forearm Motions from EMG Signals by Error Back Propagation Typed Neural Network Using Entropy,” Transactions of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.29, No.10, pp. 1213-1220, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  Measurand Inc., S700/S720 Joint Angle SHAPE SENSOR INSTRUCTION MANUAL, pp. 4-6, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.