Development of Rockfall Prevention Net Climbing Robot Using a Quadric Chain
Hidekazu Kajiwara, Makoto Arai, Takafumi Noguchi,
and Takashi Nakamura
Kushiro National College of Technology, Nishi 2-32-1, Otanoshike, Kushiro, Hokkaido 084-0916, Japan
We developed a robot that moves freely over rockfall prevention nets along national roads in Hokkaido. We start by discussing functions required of robots for rock mass investigation. We propose two robots – a climbing robot that climbs to install wires on rockfall prevention nets and an investigation robot that uses these wires to move to the investigation locations to be checked. We then introduce our climbing robot (prototype V), which uses a quadric chain driven by a single motor to climb rockfall prevention nets at 5m/min.
and Takashi Nakamura, “Development of Rockfall Prevention Net Climbing Robot Using a Quadric Chain,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.3, pp. 312-317, 2006.
-  H. Kajiwara, M. Arai, T. Noguchi, and T. Nakamura, “Development of Rock-net Climbing Robot,” Proceedings of the 2004 JSME Conference on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2P1-L2-17, 2004.
-  Special issue: Development of a Wall-Climbing Robot, The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 557-620, 1992.
-  A. Nishi, Y. Wakasugi, and K. Watanabe, “Design of a Robot Movable on Vertical Wall,” The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 215-221, 1984.
-  Y. Kawaguchi, T. Sogi, N. Kai, H. Morisaki, and H. Hayakawa, “Development of an Inspection Robot for Spherical Storage Tanks,” The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.7, pp. 770-775, 2003.
-  A. Nishi, and H. Miyagi, “AWall-Climbing Robot using Propulsive Force of Propeller: 1st Report, Mechanism and Control in a Weak Wind,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, 57-543, pp. 3583-3591, 1991.
-  T. Nishi, and H. Miyagi, “A Wall-Climbing Robot using Propulsive Force of Propeller: 2nd Report, Mechanism and Control System in a Strong Wind,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, 58-547, pp. 837-843, 1992.
-  http://www.kushiro-ct.ac.jp/kajiwara/rocknet/
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.