Development of Practical 3-Dimensional Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R4
Hiroya Yamada, and Shigeo Hirose
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
Despite the many studies on snake-like robots and long, thin super-redundant manipulators targeting their potential applications in complex environments, e.g., containing obstacles such as water and/or dust that impede robot movement, most have limited their investigation to robot maneuverability within the laboratory and few have attempted to develop robots in practical environments. We propose a practical, dust- and water-proof snake-like robot and its prototype. We start by discussing the practical functions required and the mechanism developed. We then discuss joint control and an experiment testing the prototype.
-  S. Hirose, “Biologically Inspired Robots,” Oxford University Press, 1993.
-  M. Mori, and S. Hirose, “Three-dimensional serpentine motion and lateral rolling by Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 829-834, 2002.
-  M. Mori, H. Yamada, and S. Hirose, “Design and Development of Active Cord Mechanism “ACM-R3” and its 3-dimensional Locomotion Control,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.7, pp. 886-897, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  C. Birkenhofer, M. Hoffmeister, J. M. Zollner, and R. Dillmann, “Compliant Motion of a Multi-segmented Inspection Robot,” Proc. of 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3353-3358, 2005.
-  T. Kamegawa, T. Yamasaki, H. Igarashi, and F. Matsuno, “Development of The Snake-like Rescue Robot “KOHGA”,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 5081-5086, 2004.
-  A. Masayuki, T. Takayama, and S. Hirose, “Development of “Souryu-III”: connected crawler vehicle for inspecfion inside narrow and winding spaces,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.1, pp. 52-57, 2004.
-  H. Yamada, and S. Hirose, “The Study on Space Trajectory Generation of Active Cord Mechanism,” The proc. of 22nd Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, CI17, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yamada, S. Chigisaki, M. Mori, K. Takita, K. Ogami, and S. Hirose, “Development of Amphibious Snake-like Robot ACM-R5,” The Proc. of 36th Int. Symposium on Robotics, TH3C4, 2005.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.