Development of Quadruped Walking Robot TITAN XI for Steep Slopes – Slope Map Generation and Map Information Application –
Takahiro Doi*, Ryuichi Hodoshima**, Yasushi Fukuda***,
Shigeo Hirose**, Toshihito Okamoto****, and Junichi Mori****
*School of Life System Science and Technology, Chukyo University, 101 Tokodachi, Kaizu-cho, Toyota city, Aichi 470-0393, Japan
**Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
***Department of Mechanical Systems, Faculty of Engineering, Tamagawa University
****Taisho Kensetu Corporation
We discuss the generation of maps of steep slopes covered with concrete frames and map information application for a quadruped walking robot, TITAN XI. Suspended by a pair of tethers, the robot requires map information of the environment, localization for walking and tether control for weight compensation. After introducing TITAN XI, we propose map generation using Topcon’s Total Station range-finder, robot self localization, and weight compensation by tether control based on map information using one Total Station. We conclude with a review of the results of walking experiments on an undulated slope using TITAN XI.
Shigeo Hirose, Toshihito Okamoto, and Junichi Mori, “Development of Quadruped Walking Robot TITAN XI for Steep Slopes – Slope Map Generation and Map Information Application –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.3, pp. 318-324, 2006.
-  S. Hirose et al., “TITAN VII: Quadruped walking and manipulating robot on a steep slope,” Proceedings of International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 494-500, April, 1997.
-  R. Hodoshima et al., “Development of TITAN XI: a Quadruped-Walking Robot to Work on Slopes – Design of system and mechanism,” Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 792-797, August, 2004.
-  R. Volpe et al., “Enhanced Mars Rover Navigation Techniques,” Proceedings of International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 926-931, April, 2000.
-  J. E. Bares, and D. S. Wettergreen, “Dante II: technical description, results, and lessons learned,” International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.18, No.7, pp. 621-649, 1999.
-  http://www.roboclimber.com/
-  T. Murashima et al., “Thin Cable System for ROV and AUV in JAMSTEC,” Proceedings of Oceans 2003, pp. 2695-2700, September, 2003.
-  H. Tsukagoshi, and S. Hirose, “Intermittent crawl gait for quadruped walking vehicles on rough terrain,” Proceedings of International Conference Climbing andWalking Robots, pp. 323-328, November, 1998.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.