Numerical Model for Bank Erosion in the Brahmaputra River
Robin K. Biswas*,**,†, Atsuhiro Yorozuya**, and Shinji Egashira**
*Disaster Management Program (DMP), National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS)
7-22-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-8677, Japan
**International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM),
Public Works Research Institute (PWRI), Ibaraki, Japan
-  K. Hasegawa, “Bank erosion discharge based on a non-equilibrium theory,” Proc. JSCE, Tokyo, Vol.316, pp. 37-50 (in Japanese), December 1981.
-  ASCE Task Committee on Hydraulics, Bank Mechanics, and Modelling of River Width Adjustment, “River Width Adjustment. I: Process and Mechanisms,” J. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.124, No.9, pp. 881-902, September 1998.
-  ASCE Task Committee on Hydraulics, Bank Mechanics, and Modelling of River Width Adjustment, “River Width Adjustment. II: Modelling,” J. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.124, No.9, pp. 903-917, September 1998.
-  H. Nakagawa, and T. Tsujimoto, “Sand bed instability due to bed load motion,” J. of Hydraulic Division, ASCE, Vol.106, No.12, pp. 2029-2051, 1980.
-  N. Nagata, T. Hosoda, and Y. Muramoto, “Numerical analysis of river channel processes with bank erosion,” J. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.126, No.4, pp. 243-252, April 2000.
-  C.Jang, and Y. Shimizu, “Numerical simulation of relatively wide, shallow channels with erodible banks,” J. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.131, No.7, pp. 565-575, July 2005.
-  J. G. Duan and P. Y. Julien “Numerical simulation of meander evolution,” J. of Hydrology, Vol.391, pp. 34-46, July 2010.
-  S. E. Darby, A. M. Alabyan, and M. J. Van de Wiel, “Numerical simulation of bank erosion and channel migration in meandering rivers,” Water Resources Research, Vol.38, No.9, 1163, pp. 2-1-2-12, September 2002.
-  J. D. Anderson, Computational Fluid Dynamics: The Basic with Application, McGraw-Hill, Inc., NY, USA, 1995.
-  R. K. Biswas, S. Egashira and A. Yorozuya, “Influence of lateral bed slope on erosion deposition process in suspended-sediment dominated river,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B1 (Hydraulic Engineering), Vol.71, No.4, pp. 871-876, 2015.
-  H. Takebayashi, S. Egashira, and T. Okabe, “Braided streams formed on bed beds with non-uniform sediment,” Proc. 3rd IAHR Symposium on River, Coastal and Estuarine Morphodynamics, pp. 787-798, 2003.
-  K. Ashida, and M. Michiue, “Study on hydraulic resistance and bedload transport rate in alluvial streams,” Transactions of JSCE, Vol.206, pp. 59-69, 1972.
-  K. Ashida, S. Egashira, and B. Y. Liu, “Numerical method on sediment sorting and bed variation in meander channel,” Annual J. of. Hydr. Engg., JSCE, Vol.35, pp. 383-390, 1991.
-  Y. Shimizu and T. Itakura, “Calculation of flow andbed deformation with a general non-orthogonal coordinate system,” Proc. of XXIV IAHR Congress, Madrid, Spain, C-2, pp. 41-48, 1991.
-  W. W. Rubey, “Settling velocities of gravel, sand and silt particles,” American J. of Science, Vol.25, pp. 325-338, 1933.
-  E. W. Lane, and A. A. Kalinske, “Engineering calculation of suspended sediment,” Trans. A.G.U., Vol.22, 1941.
-  H. Takebayashi and S. Egashira, “Formative process and domain of a self-formed cannel,” Proc. of JSCE, No. 677/II-55, pp. 75-86, 2001.
-  L. X. Luu, S. Egashira, and H. Takebayashi, “Investigation of Tan Chau reach in lower Mekong using field data and numerical simulation,” Annual J. of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, Vol.48, 2004.
-  H. Takebayashi, “Instability of stream geometry,” Proc. of the Fourth Int. Conf. on Scour and Erion, pp. 134-139. 2008.
-  S. Egashira, M. Kuroki, K. Sawai, and M. Yamasaka, “Methods to evaluate the bed shear stress in open channel flow,” Proc. of the 32nd Japanese Conf. on Hydraulics, pp. 503-521, 1988.
-  K. Hasegawa and A. Mochizuki, “Formation process of an equilibrium cross section in a straight channel of sand-silt river,” 4th Int. Seminar on River Sedimentation, Beijing, China, pp. 417-424, 1989.
-  M. Kuroki and T. Kishi, “Regime criteria on bars and braids in alluvial straight channel,” Proc. JSCE, Vol.42, pp. 87-96, 1984 (in Japanese).
-  F. Engelund, “Flow and bed topography in channel bends,” J. of Hydraulic Division, ASCE, Vol.100, No.HY11, pp. 1631-1648, 1974.
-  A. Yorozuya, M. S. Islam, M. Kamoto, and S. Egashira, “Influence of Jamuna Bridge on River Morphology,” Advances in River Sediment Research, Fukuoka etal.(eds), Taylor & Francis Group, London, pp. 299-308, 2015.
-  S. Egashira, K. Ashida, J. Takahama, and S. Tanonaka, S. “Derivation of bed-load formula from a view point of continuum body,” Proc. of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, Vol.35, pp. 441-446, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  R. K. Biswas, A. Yorozuya, and S. Egashira, “ Modified Grdient Based Method for Mapping Sandbars in Mega-sized Braided River using MODIS Image,” Annual J. of Hydraulic Engineering, JSCE, Vol.60, pp. 931-936, 2016.
-  J. G. Klaassen and G. Masselink, “Planform changes of a braided river with fine sediment as bed and bank materials,” 5th Int. Symposium on River Sedimentation, Karlsruhe, Germany, 1992.
-  S. Okada, A. Yorozuya, H. Koseki, S. Kudo, and K. Muraoka, “Comprehensive measurement techniques of water flow, bedload and suspended sediment in large river using Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler,” Proc. of the Int. Symposium on River Sedimentation, September 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.