Application of the Probability Evaluation for the Seasonal Reservoir Operation on Flood Mitigation and Water Supply in the Chao Phraya River Watershed, Thailand
Daisuke Komori*, Cherry May Mateo*, Akane Saya*,
Shinichiro Nakamura*, Masashi Kiguchi*, Phonchai Klinkhachorn**,
Thada Sukhapunnaphan**, Adisorn Champathong**, Kimio Takeya***,
*Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Office of Water Management and Hydrology, Royal Irrigation Department (RID), 811 Samsen Rd, Dusit, Bangkok 10300, Thailand
***Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Nibancho Center Building, 5-25 Niban-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8012, Japan
This research focuses on dam reservoir operation effective in flood mitigation and water resource reservation on a seasonal scale. Based on the relationship between discharge characteristics in the upper watershed of Chao Phraya River and flood occurrences in the lower watershed, it was clarified that the dam reservoir operation most effective in the rainy season was determining the lowest reservoir volume in August for the Sirikit Dam reservoir and in July for the Bhumibol Dam reservoir, and storing water until November. Furthermore, by the probability evaluation on the free reservoir capacities of both dams estimated from the predetermined lowest reservoir volume and inflow volume in both dams, the dam reservoir operation considering the importance of flood mitigation and water resource reservation on a seasonal scale can be achieved.
Shinichiro Nakamura, Masashi Kiguchi, Phonchai Klinkhachorn,
Thada Sukhapunnaphan, Adisorn Champathong, Kimio Takeya, and
and TaikanOki, “Application of the Probability Evaluation for the Seasonal Reservoir Operation on Flood Mitigation and Water Supply in the Chao Phraya River Watershed, Thailand,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.3, pp. 432-446, 2013.
-  CRED, “EM-DATTheInternationalDisasterDatabase,” 2013,
http://www.emdat.be/ [accessed Jan. 17, 2013]
-  Japan Meteolorogical Agency, 2012,
http://www.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/cpd/monitor/annual/ [accessed Jan. 31, 2012]
-  T. Tebakari, J. Yoshitani, and P. Suvanpimol, “Impact of largescale reservoir operation on flow regime in the Chao Phraya River basin, Thailand,” Hydrological Processes, Vol.26, pp. 2411-2420, DOI:10.1002/hyp.9345, 2012.
-  T. Tebakari, J. Yoshitani, C. Suvanpimol, M. Miyamoto, and T. Yamada, “Assessment of Flood Control and Water Supply Abilities of Large Scale Reservoir using Numerical Experiment – A Case Study in the Chao Phraya River Basin, Kingdom of Thailand –,” J. Japan Soc. Hydrol. & Water Resour., Vol.20, No.3, pp. 145-155, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  D. Komori, S. Nakamura, M. Kiguchi, A. Nishijima, D. Yamazaki, S. Suzuki, A. Kawasaki, K. Oki, and T. Oki, “Characteristics of the 2011 Chao Phraya River Flood in Central Thailand,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.6, pp. 41-46, 2012.
-  T. Tebakari and J. Yoshitani, “Effect of Large-scale Dams on the Hydrological Regime; A Case Study in the Chao Phraya River Basin, Kingdom of Thailand,” J. Japan Soc. Hydrol. & Water Resour., Vol.18, No.3, pp. 281-292, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  C. May Mateo, N. Hanasaki, D. Komori, K. Yoshimura, M. Kiguchi, A. Champathong, D. Yamazaki, T. Sukhapunnaphan, and T. Oki, “A Simulation Model for Assessing Impacts of Modifyingh Reservoir Operation Rules on Flood Mitigation and Water Supply,” IAHS, 2013 (submitted).
-  N. Hanasaki, S. Kanae, T. Oki, K. Masuda, K. Motoya, N. Shirakawa, Y. Shen, and K. Tanaka, “An integrated model for the assessment of global water resources – Part 1: Model description and input meteorological forcing,” Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.12, pp. 1007-1025, doi:10.5194/hess-12-1007-2008, 2008.
-  D. Yamazaki, S. Kanae, H. Kim, and T. Oki, “A physically based description of floodplain inundation dynamics in a global river routing model,” Water Resour. Res., Vol.47, W04501, DOI: 10.1029/2010WR009726., 2011.
-  J. Matsumoto, “Seasonal transition of summer rainy season over Indochina and adjacent monsoon region,” Adv. Atmos. Sci., Vol.14, pp. 231-245, 1997.
-  M. Kiguchi and J. Matsumoto, “The rainfall Phenomena during the Pre-monsoon Period over the Indochina Peninsula in the GAMEIOP Year,” J. of theMeteorological Society of Japan, Vol.83, pp. 89-106, 2005.
-  Japan Institute of Country-ology and Engineering, 2003 (Japanese),
http://www.jice.or.jp/sim/t1/200608150.html [accessed Jan. 20, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.