Numerical Analysis of Liquefaction in a River Levee on Soft Cohesive Ground
Ryosuke Uzuoka and Keita Semba
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The University of Tokushima, 2-1 Minamijyousanjima-cho, Tokushima 770-8506, Japan
During the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake, liquefaction at the bottom of embankments extensively damaged river levees in the Tohoku and Kanto areas. This study presents preliminary numerical simulation of liquefaction in a river levee on soft cohesive ground along the Eai River during the earthquake. Static analysis reproduced the initial state of stress and moisture in such an embankment before the earthquake. Static analysis showed a decrease in mean effective stress and an increase in water content at the bottom of the embankment due to the settlement of soft cohesive ground. The effect of initial stress and moisture conditions on the seismic responses of the river levee are discussed through dynamic threephase coupled analysis with an initially deformed configuration and moisture distribution. Numerical results showed that stress relaxation in the embankment caused an increase in settlement at the crest of embankment.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), 2011,
http://www.mlit.go.jp/river/basic_info/english/touhoku.html [accessed Nov. 22, 2012]
-  Y. Sasaki, H. Oshiki, and J. Nishikawa, “Embankment failure caused by the Kushiro-oki earthquake of January 15, 1993,” Performance of Ground and Soil Structure during Earthquakes, 13th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, pp. 61-68, 1993.
-  M. Kaneko, Y. Sasaki, J. Nishikawa, M. Nagase, and K. Mamiya, “River dike failure in Japan by earthquakes in 1993,” 3rd International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics, pp. 495-498, 1995.
-  W. D. L. Finn and Y. Sasaki, “Simulation of response of the Kushiro river dike to the 1993 Kushiro-oki and 1994 Hokkaido Toho-oki earthquakes,” 14th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, pp. 99-102, 1997.
-  R. Uzuoka and R. I. Borja, “Dynamics of unsaturated poroelastic solids at finite strain,” International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol.36, pp. 1535-1573, 2012.
-  R. de Boer, “Contemporary progress in porous media theory,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, Vol.53, No.12, pp. 323-369, 2000.
-  B. A. Schrefler, “Mechanics and thermodynamics of saturated/unsaturated porous materials and quantitative solutions,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, Vol.55, No.4, pp. 351-388, 2002.
-  D. Gallipoli, A. Gens, R. Sharma, and J. Vaunat, “An elastoplastic model for unsaturated soil incorporating the effects of suction and degree of saturation on mechanical behavior,” Geotechnique, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 123-135, 2003.
-  Y. Kohgo, M. Nakano, and T. Miyazaki, “Theoretical aspects of constitutive modeling for unsaturated soil,” Soils and Foundations, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 49-63, 1993.
-  X. S. Li, “Thermodynamics-based constitutive frame-work for unsaturated soils. 1: Theory,” Geotechnique, Vol.57, No.5, pp. 411-422, 2007.
-  D. Muir Wood, “Soil behaviour and critical state soil mechanics,” Cambridge University Press, 1991.
-  R. I. Borja and C. Tamagnini, “Cam-Clay plasticity. Part III: Extension of the infinitesimal model to include finite strains,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.155, pp. 73-95, 1998.
-  R. Uzuoka, M. Kazama, and N. Sento, “Soil-water-air coupled analysis on seepage and overtopping behavior of river levee,” 14th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 2011.
-  R. I. Borja, C. Tamagnini, and A. Amorosi, “Coupling plasticity and energy-conserving elasticity models for clays,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.123, No.10, pp. 948-957, 1997.
-  T. Mori, R. Uzuoka, T. Chiba, K. Kamiya, and M. Kazama, “Numerical prediction of seepage and seismic behavior of unsaturated fill slope,” Soils and Foundations, Vol.51, No.6, pp. 1075-1090, 2011.
-  P. J. Armstrong and C. O. Frederick, “A mathematical representation of the multiaxial Bauschinger effect,” C.E.G.B. Report RD/B/N731, Berkeley Nuclear Laboratories, Berkeley, UK, 1966.
-  J. C. Simo and R. L. Taylor, “Consistent tangent operators for rateindependent elastoplasticity,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol.48, pp. 101-118, 1985.
-  National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED), 2011,
http://www.kik.bosai.go.jp/kik/ [accessed Nov. 22, 2012]