Requirements and Verification Methodology for the Design Performance of Tsunami-Hinan Buildings (Temporary Tsunami Refuge Building)
Shinji Yagi* and Yuji Hasemi**
*AXS SATOW Inc., 2-10-12 AXS Bldg. Yokoami, Sumida-ku, Tokyo 130-0015, Japan
**Department of Architecture, Waseda University, 3-4-1 55th Bldg. Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
With the increasing possibility of large offshore earthquakes in Japan, the government is considering whether middle to high-rise structures could be used as temporary tsunami refuge buildings. This report presents a recent study on refuge-process modeling within such buildings and their utility seen through parametric analysis. Analysis showed a strong dependence of refuge effectiveness on the time when evacuation start and building occupancies. Design guidelines are proposed to improve evacuation performance for different types of occupancy.
-  “Tsunami Evacuation Buildings Guidelines,” Committee on Tsunami Evacuation Building Examination, Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2005.6.
-  T. Saito and Hiroshi Kagami, “Simulation of Evacuation Behavior from Tsunami Utilizing multi-agent System: A Case Study of Aonae,” Okushiri island, J. Archit. Plan. AIJ, No.597, pp. 229-234, 2005.11.
-  D. Ohata, N. Takai, and H. Kagami, “Spacial Evacuation of Tsunami Refuge Facilities in the Center Kushiro city: Simulation of Evacuation Behavior from Tsunami Utilizing multi-agent System part 2,” J. Archit. Plan. AIJ, No.612, pp. 87-91, 2007.2.
-  H. Goto, E. Harada, Y. Maruyama, K. Takahashi, and K. Oba, “Contribution Crowd Refuge Simulator to Town Planning against Tsunami Flood,” J. of Coastal Engineering, Vol.55, pp. 1371-1375, 2008.
-  Building Center of Japan, “Research Report on the Tsunami Hinan Buildings,” 2005.3.
-  Building Center of Japan, “Technical Study Report on the Tsunami Hinan Buildings,” 2006.3.
-  A. Ook and N. Tanaka, “A Sstudy of Tsunami Rrefuge Building that Assumed the Refuge of Weak People in the Disaster : A Case Study of Aki city, Kochi,” J. Archit. Plan. AIJ, No.641, pp. 1523-1529, 2009.7.
-  K. Tosshitaka, N. Kuwasawa, M. Kanai, and K. Hosoi, “Disarster Education for Owase Citizen by using Tsunami Senario Simulator and Evaluation that Method,” SOCIOTECHNICA, Sociotechnology Research Network, Vol.2, pp. 199-208, 2004.
-  K. Watanabe and M. Kondo, “Development of Tsunami Evacuation Simulation Model to Support Community Planning for Tsunami Disaster Mitigation,” J. Archit. Plan. AIJ, 74(637), pp. 627-634, 2009.3.30.
-  S. Kato, T. Simozono, and A. Okayasu, “Hybrid Simulation for Tsunami Evacuation in Consideration of Individual Behaviors,” J. of Civil Engineering B2 (Coastal Engineering) (Trans. of JSCE), Vol.B2-65, No.1, pp. 1316-1320, 2009.
-  H. Yashiro, S. Nishikawa, and T. Chinoi, “A Case Study on Drawing up a Plan for Evacuation in Tsunami at Community Level,” Architectural Institute of Japan J. of Technology and Design No.19, pp. 359-364, 2004.6.
-  “New Fire Protection Design Guidelines (Technical Guide),” BCJ, 1995.
-  “2001 Comments on verification methodology of safe evacuation and some examples of calculation,” MLIT, BRI, BCJ, et al, 2001.3.
-  S. Tsuchiya, S. Moriyama, Y. Hasemi et al., “Experimental Characterization of Upward Evacuation on Stairs of Tsunami Hinan (temporary refuge) Buildings Part 1,” Summaries of Technical Papers Annual Meeting of Architectural Institute of Japan 2006, E-1, pp. 905-906, 2006.9.
-  S. Moriyama, S. Tsuchiya, Y. Hasemi et al., “Experimental Characterization of Upward Evacuation on Stairs of Tsunami Hinan (temporary refuge) Buildings Part 2,” Summaries of Technical Papers Annual Meeting of Architectural Institute of Japan 2006, E-1, pp. 907-908, 2006.9.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.