Prediction of Strong Ground Motion and Building Damage in Urban Areas and Development of a Disaster Mitigation Strategy
Nobuo Fukuwa*, Jun Tobita*, Masafumi Mori*, and Hiroto Takahashi**
*Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
**OYO Corporation, Chubu Branch, 2-907 Sekohigashi, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya 463-8541, Japan
Considering the increased population and functionality of urban areas, we have studied the prediction of damages to and disaster mitigation strategies for urban areas which may be devastated when large disaster strikes. We have developed high-precision, high-resolution subsurface soil structure models in Chukyo Area including Nagoya city, by which strong ground motions are first predicted for every site of the area using a pseudo-empirical Green’s function method. Next, major damages are predicted based on earthquake response analyses of various structures such as energy facilities in reclaimed areas, industrial plants in alluvial plains, and high-rise buildings and ordinary school buildings in urban areas. We then have attempted to quantify disaster response capabilities of urban areas to set the target level for disaster mitigation countermeasures. Moreover, we have explained newly developed simulation tools for guiding individual residents to take disaster mitigation precautions by themselves.
-  H. Takahashi, N. Fukuwa, H. Senga, K. Hayashi, M. Mori, and J. Tobita, “Strong ground motion prediction by using new analysis method named ‘Pseudo empirical Green’s function procedure’,” Proceedings of 14th world conference of earthquake engineering, Beijing, 2008 (DVD-ROM).
-  R. W. Graves, “Simulating seismic wave propagation in 3D elastic media using staggered-grid finite differences,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.86, pp. 1091-1106, 1996.
-  D. M. Boore, “Stochastic simulation of high frequency ground motions based on seismological models of the radiated spectra,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.73, pp. 1865-1894, 1983.
-  K. Irikura, “Prediction of acceleration motions using empirical Green’s function,” Proc. 7th Japan Earthq. Eng. Symp., pp. 151-156, 1986.
-  J. Tobita, H. Kojima, and N. Fukuwa, “Web Based Online Monitoring and Database Systems for Dynamic Response of Structures and Ground,” Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Advances in Experimental Structural Engineering, pp. 703-710, Nagoya, 2005.
-  Aichi Prefecture, “Report of the investigation of subsurface structure about the Mikawa basin,” 2005 (in Japanese).
-  H. Takahashi and N. Fukuwa, “Proposal and verification of modeling of the surface layers for strong motion prediction,” J. Struct. Constr. Eng. AIJ., No.599, pp. 51-59, 2006 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  N. Fukuwa and X. Wen, “An Efficient Soil Structure Interaction Analysis Method of a Large Scale Pile Group,” Fourth US-Japan Workshop on Soil Structure Interaction, Tsukuba, 2007 (DVD-ROM).
-  M. Mori, N. Fukuwa, and X. Wen, “Evaluation of a large scale pile group for a nonlinear earthquake response analysis of pile-supported building by using frame models,” Fourth US-Japan Workshop on Soil Structure Interaction, Tsukuba, 2007 (DVD-ROM).
-  N. Fukuwa and J. Tobita, “Key Parameters Governing the Dynamic Response of Long-Period Structures,” Journal of Seismology, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 295-306, 2008.
-  T. Nagae, Y. Chung, Y. Shimada, K. Fukuyama, K. Kajiwara, T. Inoue, M. Nakashima, T. Saito, H. Kitamura, N.Fukuwa, and T. Hitaka, “Construction of Large Scale Test System to Assess Seismic Performance of High-rise Building - E-Defense Shaking Table Test -,” J. Struct. Constr. Eng. AIJ., 2009.6 (to be published, in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y. Shirase, S. Takeo, Y. Hiramatsu, N. Fukuwa, and J. Miyakoshi, “A Study on Prediction of Damage Ratio of Low-rise RC School Buildings due to Earthquake Based on Seismic Performance Index," J. Struct. Constr. Eng. AIJ., No.607, pp. 63-71, 2006 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  J. Tobita, N. Fukuwa, M. Mori, H. Sakaue, H. Takahashi, and T. Hanai, “WebGIS Simulator for Promotion of Seismic Retrofitting and Community Disaster Mitigation Activities,” Proceedings of 14th World Conference of Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, 2008 (DVD-ROM).
-  N. Fukuwa, J. Tobita, M. Mori, E. Koide, and T. Hanai, “Developement of Vibration Experiment Education Material for Structural and Soil Dynamics, Proceedings of 14th World Conference of Earthquake Engineering,” Beijing, 2008 (DVD-ROM).