Characteristics and Mitigation Measures for Tsunamis Generated Along the Nankai Trough
Fumihiko Imamura* and Kentaro Imai**
*Disaster Control Research Center, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Earthquake Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi, Bunkyo 113-0032, Tokyo, Japan
Historical information related to tsunamis generated in the Nankai Trough was compiled to examine their frequency and associated destruction. Types of damage in a wide area throughout western Japan from Boso to Kyushu, Susaki, Kochi, and Osaka were selected to elucidate tsunami behavior and damage to areas where multiple damage to facilities was reported, such as that to floated ships, bridge destruction, and road blockage by strong current and floating materials such as destroyed house and ships. After reviewing the tsunami physics and damage from recent events including that related to 2004 Sumatra, suggestions are offered to mitigate future disasters.
-  Central Disaster Prevention Council (CDPC), “Report of the Special Investigation Committee,” 2009 on the following WEB site:
-  T. Usami, “Earthquake damage in Japan,” Univ. Tokyo Press, p. 493, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  H. Watanabe, “ Tsunami damage in Japan,” Univ. Tokyo Press, p. 238, 1998.
-  T. Hatari, “Sources of Large Tsunamis in Southwest Japan,” J. Japan Seismological Society - JIshin, 27, pp. 10-24, 1974 (in Japanese).
-  Kochi Susaki City, “Record of Nankai and Chile tsunamis – caution from the sea,” p. 151, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  Osaka Tsunami Ukio-e-zu, Osaka Castle Museum.
-  N. Shuto, “Old records on the tsunami sand sedimentation,” Technical Report on Tsunami Engineering, Tohoku University, 15, pp. 1-36, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  S. Koshimura, T. Oie, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Developing fragility functions for tsunami damage estimation using numerical model and post-tsunami data from Banda Ache, Indonesia,” Coastal Engineering Journal, JSCE, 2009 (accepted).
-  Y. Tanioka, “Evaluation of slip distribution estimated from tsunami wave forms for 1944 and 1946 Nankai earthquake,” Journal of Japan Geography, 110-4, pp. 491-497, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Tsuji, “Nankai earthquake and the ensuing tsunami,” Gekkan Chikyu, 24, pp. 36-49, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ishibashi, “Status of historical seismology in Japan,” Annals of Geophysics, 47, pp. 339-368, 2004.