Evaluation of Virtual Tactile Dots on Touchscreens in Map Reading: Perception of Distance and Direction
Tetsuya Watanabe*, Hirotsugu Kaga**, and Tsubasa Yagi***
*Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
2-8050 Ikarashi, Nishi-ku, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
**Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University
2-8050 Ikarashi, Nishi-ku, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
***NEC Solution Innovators, Ltd.
1-18-7 Shinkiba, Koto-ku, Tokyo 136-8627 Japan
-  Mobile Contents Forum, “Smart Phone White Paper 2015,” Impress R&D, Tokyo, 2015.
-  E. Schafer, “Dot Matrix Display – An interactive system for graphics and text,” Pin, No.15, pp. 68-73, 1994.
-  T. Volkel, G. Weber, and U. Baumann, “Tactile graphics revised: The novel BrailleDis 9000 pin-matrix device with multitouch input,” 11th Int. Conf. on Computers Helping People with Special Needs: ICCHP 2008, LNCS 5105, pp. 835-842, 2008.
-  M. Ivanchev, F. Zinke, and U. Lucke, “Pre-journey visualization of travel routes for the blind on refreshable interactive tactile display,” 14th Int. Conf. on Computers Helping People with Special Needs: ICCHP 2014, Part II, LNCS 8548, pp. 81-88, 2014.
-  T. Watanabe, T. Yamaguchi, and K. Minatani, “A survey on the use of personal computers and the Internet among blind and visually impaired people in 2013,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.114, No.217, pp. 25-30, 2014.
-  S. Choi and K. Kuchenbecker, “Vibrotactile display: perception, technology, and application,” Proc. IEEE, Vol.101, No.9, pp. 2093-2104, 2013.
-  O. Metatla, F. Martin, T. Stockman, and N. Bryan-Kinns, “Non-visual menu navigation: the effect of an audio-tactile display,” Proc. BCS HCI 2014, 2014.
-  B. Leporini and S. Chiti, “Investigating the use of vibro-tactile feedback for mobile interaction by blind users: the numeric keypad case,” CHI 2013 Mobile Accessibility Workshop, 2013.
-  C. Jayant, C. Acuario, W. A. Johnson, J. Hollier, and R. E. Ladner, “VBraille: Haptic Braille perception using a touch-screen and vibration on mobile phones,” Proc. ASSETS ’10, 2010.
-  D. Ternes and K. E. MacLean, “Desgning large sets of haptic icons with rythm,” EuroHaptics 2008, Vol.5024, pp. 199-208, 2008.
-  H. Nicolau, K. Montague, T. Guerreiro, A. Rodorigues, and V. L. Hanson, “HoliBraille: Multipoint vibrotactile feedback on mobile devices,” Proc. W4A 2015, May 2015.
-  Create System Development Co., Ltd., DocumentTalkerTouchMap, http://www.createsystem.co.jp/DTalkerAndroidTouchMap.html [Accessed May 18, 2016].
-  Y. Sato, “Psychology of the Blind and Visually Impaired,” Gakugei tosho, Tokyo, 1988.
-  P. Duran and S. Tufenkjian, “Tactile-kinesthetic methods for measuring length used by congenitally blind children,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, Vol.28, pp. 395-400, 1969.
-  M. Hollins and A. K. Goble, “Perception of the length of voluntary movements,” Somatosensory Research, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 335-348, 1988.
-  A. Kumazaki, K. Terada, and A. Ito, “Integration of cutaneous and proprioceptive sensation on human perception of haptic length,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.105, No.358, pp. 101-106, 2005.
-  H. Wang, J. Wu, and M. Kitazawa, “Difference of human tactile lenghth perception between two and three finger grasping,” Trans. JSME (C), Vol.76, No.764, pp. 152-157, 2010.
-  B. G. Green, “The perception of distance and location for dual tactile pressures,” Perception & Psychophysics, Vol.31, No.4, pp. 315-323, 1982.
-  R. W. Cholewiak, “The perception of tactile distance: Influences of body site, space, and time,” Perception, Vol.28, pp. 851-875, 1999.
-  B. T. Gleeson, S. K. Horschel, and W. R. Provancher, “Perception of direction for applied tangential skin displacement: Effects of speed, displacement and repetition,” IEEE Trans. Haptics, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 177-188, 2010.
-  D. V. Keyson and A. J. M. Houtsma, “Directional sensitivity to a tactile point stimulus moving across the fingerpad,” Perception & Psychophysics, Vol.57, No.5, pp. 738-744, 1995.
-  G. Placencia, M. Rahimi, and B. Khoshnevis, “Effects of distance and direction on tangential tactile perception of the index finger pad,” Robotica, Vol.31, pp. 679-685, 2013.
-  M. Zampini, C. Harris, and C. Spence, “Effect of posture change on tactile perception: impaired direction discrimination performance with interleaved fingres,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.166, No.3-4, pp. 498-508, 2005.
-  K. Ishibashi, T. Kabata, T. Oda, K. Watanabe, T. Watanabe, Y. Takaoka, and S. Kita, “Easy detectable symbol’s size in tactile maps: A study with persons familiar and unfamiliar with Braille,” Japanese J. Vision Rehabilitation, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 1-10, 2013.
-  Section of Braille Production, Japan Braille Library, “Introduction to Tactile Graphics for Braille Transcription,” 2nd Edition, Japan Braille Library, Tokyo, 1988.
-  J. Rowell and S. Ungar, “Feeling our way: tactile map user requirements – a survey,” Proc. 22nd Int. Cartographic Conf., A Coruna, Spain July 2005.
-  T. Hashimoto and T. Watanabe, “A Study on the Factors which Affect the Expansion of Tactile Symbols on Swell Paper – The Effect of the Position and Area of Tactile Symbols and the heat Setting –,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.114, No.512, pp. 79-82, March 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.