Development of Tactile-Proprioceptive Display and Effect Evaluation of Local Area Vibration Presentation Method
Tadahiro Sakai*, Takuya Handa**, Masatsugu Sakajiri***, Toshihiro Shimizu**, Nobuyuki Hiruma**, and Junji Onishi***
*NHK Engineering System, Inc.
1-10-11 Kinuta, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
**NHK Science&Technology Research Laboratories
1-10-11 Kinuta, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
***Tsukuba University of Technology
4-3-15 Amakubo, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, Japan
We propose a new method of presenting two-dimensional information, such as figures and graphs, on a tactile display so that visually impaired people are able to perceive them quickly and accurately. The new presentation method is developed for a tactile-proprioceptive display, which can present information on not only conventional “concave–convex” tactile display, but also vibration presentation in arbitrary area on a tactile display and mechanical leading presentation by mechanically leading user’s fingers using haptic device. In this paper, we outline the abovementioned two presentation method and the developed tactile-prop display, and objectively evaluate the effects of the local area vibration presentation method as an integral part of the tactile-prop display in comparison with the conventional “concave–convex” presentation method. We conducted experiments to evaluate the effects of the proposed local area vibration presentation method using two typical content patterns. In Experiment 1, discreetly dispersed objects are searched, and in Experiment 2, the cross graphs of line segments are distinguished and perceived. The experiments have proved that the method is effective in reducing search and cognitive time as well as identifying the correct cognition of cross graphs, as compared to the “concave–convex” tactile presentation method.
-  F. Vidal-Verdu and M. Hafez, “Graphical Tactaile Displays for Visually-Imparired People,” IEEE Trans. on Neural Syst. & Rehabilitation, Vol.15, No.1, 2007.
-  T. Watanabe, T. Yamaguchi, K. Watanabe, J. Akiyama, K. Minatani, M. Miyagi, and S. Oouchi, “Development and Evaluation of a Tactile Map Automated Creation System Accessible to Blind Persons,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems (Japanese edition), Vol.J94-D, No.10, pp. 1652-1663, 2011.
-  T. Handa, T. Sakai, M. Misono, T. Morita, and T. Itoh, “Braille Presentation Method for Tactile Display,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.107, No.555, pp. 23-26, 2008.
-  S. Yamamoto, Y. Uchida, S. Shimada, M. Shinohara, and M. Shimojo, “Improvement of User Interface for Interactive Tactile Graphic Display and It’s Application,” Trans. of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan (Japanese edition) Vol.13, No.1, pp. 49-57, 2008.
-  S. Shimada, Y. Murase, and M. Shimojo, “Acquisition System of Wide region for Interactive Tactile Graphic Display,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.113, No.195, pp. 91-95, 2013.
-  M. Rotard, S. Knodler, and T. Erkt, “A tactile web browser for the visually disabled,” 16th ACM Conf. on Hypertext and Hypermedia, pp. 15-22, 2005.
-  M. Uchida, Yamamoto, S. Shimada, M. Shinohara, M. Shimojo, and Y. Shimizu, “Conveyance of the tactailr pattern information by the sound support,” Proc. of the 33rd Sensory Subsutitution Symp., pp. 51-54, 2007.
-  M. Misono, T. Sakai, and T. Handa, “Search for Table Contents by Speech synthesis and Tactile Presentation,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.110, No.164, pp. 41-46, 2010.
-  T. Yoshikawa, H. Twigesty, and T. Satoi, “Virtual tactual map using sense of power presentation equipment for visually impaired,” Trans. of Human Interface Society (Japanese edition), Vol.11, No1, pp. 155-162, 2009.
-  H. Tatsumi, M. Miyakawa, and Y. Murai, “Haptic Interface for the Recognition of Shapes and Space (Part1),” National University Corporation Tsukuba University of Technology Technical Report, Vol.13, 2006.
-  M. Shimojo, M. Shinohara, and Y. Fukui, “Shape Recognition Performance Depending on Pin-Matrix Density for 3D Tactile Display,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems (Japanese edition), Vol.J80-D-2, No.5, pp. 1202-1208, 1997.
-  http://geoph-mountain.tumblr.com/ [Accessed November 2015].
-  K. Hiwatashi, “Human Information Science,” Corona Publishing Co. Ltd., pp. 54-55 etc.
-  T. Watanabe, and M. Kobayashi, “A Evaluation of Electronic Raised-Line Drawing System - MIMIZU - at Schools for the Blind,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Thought and Language, Vol.103, No.114, pp. 7-12, 2003.
-  J. G. Linvill and J. C. Bliss, “A direct translation reading aud for the Blind,” Proc. IEEE, Vol.54, pp. 40-51, 1966.
-  R. T. Verrillo, “Subjective Magninitude Functions for Vibrotation,” IEEE Trans. on Mam-Machine Syst., No.1, pp. 19-24, 1970.
-  W. M. Rabinowitz, A. J. M. Houtsma, N. I. Durlach, and L. A. Delhorne, “Multidimensional tactile displays identification of vibratory intensity, frequency, and contactor area,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol.82, No.4, pp. 1243-52, 1987.
-  H. Z. Tan, N. I. Durlach, C. M. Reed, and W. M. Rabinowitz, “Information transmission with a multifinger tactual display,” Perception & Psychophysics, Vol.61, No.6, pp. 993-1008, 1999.
-  T. Sakai, T. Handa, T. Shimizu, and S. Murayama, “Development of vibration presentation method to represent arbitrary local area in tactile display,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.113, No.195, pp. 85-90, 2013.
-  T. Sakai, T. Handa, and T. Shimizu, “Evaluation of effect for space position recognition of presentation conditions on powered mechanical leading method,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.113, No.481, pp. 127-132, 2014.
-  T. Sakai, M. Sakajiri, T. Handa, T. Shimizu, J. Oonish, S. Ogata, and S. Murayama, “Development of practical use type Prop-Tactile display and evaluation for the possibility of the education use,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information technology (Japanese edition), Vol.115, No.491, pp. 121-126, 2016.
-  J. Ohnishi et al., “Auto-Assisting Figure Presentation System for Inclusion Education,” 2016 IEEE SMC (Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics), 2016.
-  T. Massie,“Initial Explorations with the phantom: Virtual Touch Through Point Interaction,” BS, Electrical Engineering M.I.T, 1993.
-  N. Tino, “The Misuses of Repeated Measures Design ANOVA in Behavioral Research (1),” Aichi Gakuin University bulletin of the Faculty of Psychological & Physical Science, Vol., pp. 45-54, 2013.
-  Y. Satoh, “Visual impairment psychology,” Gakugei Tosho Co. Ltd., pp. 57-58, 1988.
-  T. Sakai, T. Ishihara, T. Itoh, and H. Isono, “A study of Tactile Impressions from Vibration Stimuli,” J. of the Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers, Vol.55, No.11, pp. 1506-1514, 2001.
-  D. J. Murray et al., “Tactile short-term memory in relation to the two-point threshold,” Quartery J. of Experimental Psychology, Vol.27, pp. 303-312, 1975.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.