Development of Tactile-Proprioceptive Display and Effect Evaluation of Local Area Vibration Presentation Method
Tadahiro Sakai*, Takuya Handa**, Masatsugu Sakajiri***, Toshihiro Shimizu**, Nobuyuki Hiruma**, and Junji Onishi***
*NHK Engineering System, Inc.
1-10-11 Kinuta, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
**NHK Science&Technology Research Laboratories
1-10-11 Kinuta, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
***Tsukuba University of Technology
4-3-15 Amakubo, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki, Japan
-  F. Vidal-Verdu and M. Hafez, “Graphical Tactaile Displays for Visually-Imparired People,” IEEE Trans. on Neural Syst. & Rehabilitation, Vol.15, No.1, 2007.
-  T. Watanabe, T. Yamaguchi, K. Watanabe, J. Akiyama, K. Minatani, M. Miyagi, and S. Oouchi, “Development and Evaluation of a Tactile Map Automated Creation System Accessible to Blind Persons,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems (Japanese edition), Vol.J94-D, No.10, pp. 1652-1663, 2011.
-  T. Handa, T. Sakai, M. Misono, T. Morita, and T. Itoh, “Braille Presentation Method for Tactile Display,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.107, No.555, pp. 23-26, 2008.
-  S. Yamamoto, Y. Uchida, S. Shimada, M. Shinohara, and M. Shimojo, “Improvement of User Interface for Interactive Tactile Graphic Display and It’s Application,” Trans. of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan (Japanese edition) Vol.13, No.1, pp. 49-57, 2008.
-  S. Shimada, Y. Murase, and M. Shimojo, “Acquisition System of Wide region for Interactive Tactile Graphic Display,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.113, No.195, pp. 91-95, 2013.
-  M. Rotard, S. Knodler, and T. Erkt, “A tactile web browser for the visually disabled,” 16th ACM Conf. on Hypertext and Hypermedia, pp. 15-22, 2005.
-  M. Uchida, Yamamoto, S. Shimada, M. Shinohara, M. Shimojo, and Y. Shimizu, “Conveyance of the tactailr pattern information by the sound support,” Proc. of the 33rd Sensory Subsutitution Symp., pp. 51-54, 2007.
-  M. Misono, T. Sakai, and T. Handa, “Search for Table Contents by Speech synthesis and Tactile Presentation,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.110, No.164, pp. 41-46, 2010.
-  T. Yoshikawa, H. Twigesty, and T. Satoi, “Virtual tactual map using sense of power presentation equipment for visually impaired,” Trans. of Human Interface Society (Japanese edition), Vol.11, No1, pp. 155-162, 2009.
-  H. Tatsumi, M. Miyakawa, and Y. Murai, “Haptic Interface for the Recognition of Shapes and Space (Part1),” National University Corporation Tsukuba University of Technology Technical Report, Vol.13, 2006.
-  M. Shimojo, M. Shinohara, and Y. Fukui, “Shape Recognition Performance Depending on Pin-Matrix Density for 3D Tactile Display,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems (Japanese edition), Vol.J80-D-2, No.5, pp. 1202-1208, 1997.
-  http://geoph-mountain.tumblr.com/ [Accessed November 2015].
-  K. Hiwatashi, “Human Information Science,” Corona Publishing Co. Ltd., pp. 54-55 etc.
-  T. Watanabe, and M. Kobayashi, “A Evaluation of Electronic Raised-Line Drawing System - MIMIZU - at Schools for the Blind,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Thought and Language, Vol.103, No.114, pp. 7-12, 2003.
-  J. G. Linvill and J. C. Bliss, “A direct translation reading aud for the Blind,” Proc. IEEE, Vol.54, pp. 40-51, 1966.
-  R. T. Verrillo, “Subjective Magninitude Functions for Vibrotation,” IEEE Trans. on Mam-Machine Syst., No.1, pp. 19-24, 1970.
-  W. M. Rabinowitz, A. J. M. Houtsma, N. I. Durlach, and L. A. Delhorne, “Multidimensional tactile displays identification of vibratory intensity, frequency, and contactor area,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol.82, No.4, pp. 1243-52, 1987.
-  H. Z. Tan, N. I. Durlach, C. M. Reed, and W. M. Rabinowitz, “Information transmission with a multifinger tactual display,” Perception & Psychophysics, Vol.61, No.6, pp. 993-1008, 1999.
-  T. Sakai, T. Handa, T. Shimizu, and S. Murayama, “Development of vibration presentation method to represent arbitrary local area in tactile display,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.113, No.195, pp. 85-90, 2013.
-  T. Sakai, T. Handa, and T. Shimizu, “Evaluation of effect for space position recognition of presentation conditions on powered mechanical leading method,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information Technology, Vol.113, No.481, pp. 127-132, 2014.
-  T. Sakai, M. Sakajiri, T. Handa, T. Shimizu, J. Oonish, S. Ogata, and S. Murayama, “Development of practical use type Prop-Tactile display and evaluation for the possibility of the education use,” IEICE Technical Report (Japanese edition), Welfare Information technology (Japanese edition), Vol.115, No.491, pp. 121-126, 2016.
-  J. Ohnishi et al., “Auto-Assisting Figure Presentation System for Inclusion Education,” 2016 IEEE SMC (Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics), 2016.
-  T. Massie,“Initial Explorations with the phantom: Virtual Touch Through Point Interaction,” BS, Electrical Engineering M.I.T, 1993.
-  N. Tino, “The Misuses of Repeated Measures Design ANOVA in Behavioral Research (1),” Aichi Gakuin University bulletin of the Faculty of Psychological & Physical Science, Vol., pp. 45-54, 2013.
-  Y. Satoh, “Visual impairment psychology,” Gakugei Tosho Co. Ltd., pp. 57-58, 1988.
-  T. Sakai, T. Ishihara, T. Itoh, and H. Isono, “A study of Tactile Impressions from Vibration Stimuli,” J. of the Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers, Vol.55, No.11, pp. 1506-1514, 2001.
-  D. J. Murray et al., “Tactile short-term memory in relation to the two-point threshold,” Quartery J. of Experimental Psychology, Vol.27, pp. 303-312, 1975.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.