A Spherical Motor Driven by Electro-Magnets Based on Polyhedrons
Akio Gofuku*,†, Kazuki Adachi*, Yuta Okido*, and Tomoaki Yano**
*Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University
3-1-1 Tsushima-Naka, Kita-ku, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
**Research Institute of Fundamental Technology for Next Generation, Kinki University
1 Umenobe, Takaya, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-2116, Japan
This paper describes the development of a spherical motor, hereinafter called “14-12 spherical motor.” This spherical motor utilizes two polyhedrons – a truncated regular octahedron and a regular dodecahedron – for the arrangement of permanent magnets on the rotor and electro-magnets on the stator. The 14-12 spherical motor has two types of rotation axes and six rotation axes in all. Five-phase alternating current was applied to the electro-magnets to rotate the rotor. This study also developed a simulation model for the 14-12 spherical motor to numerically simulate the dynamic behavior of the motor. Basic performance was measured and simulated to evaluate (1) the relation between rotation speed and maximum output rotation torque and (2) cogging torque. Waveforms of the five-phase alternating current were improved using the simulation model in order to increase output rotation torque for the rotation axis with the smaller torque.
-  T. Maeno, “Ultrasonic Motors,” Journal of the Robotic Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 10-14, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Yano and T. Suzuki, “Basic Characteristics of the Small Spherical Stepping Motor,” Proc. of 2002 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS’02), pp. 1980-1985, 2002.
-  A. Tanaka, M. Watada, S. Torii, and D. Ebihara, “Proposal and Design of Multi-Degree of Freedom Actuator,” Proc. of 11th MAGDA Conf., pp. 169-172, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  B. Dehez, G. Galary, D. Greiner, and B. Raucent, “Development of a Spherical Induction Motor With Two Degrees of Freedom,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.42, No.8, pp. 2077-2089, 2006.
-  G. S. Chirikjian and D. Stein, “Kinematic Design and Commutation of a Spherical Stepper Motor,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 342-353.B, 1999.
-  L. Yan, I. M. Chen, G. Yang, and K. M. Lee, “Analytical and Experimental Investigation on the Magnetic Field and Torque of a Permanent Magnet Spherical Actuator,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 409-419, 2006.
-  T. Yano and Y. Um, “Performance Evaluation of a Hexahedron-Octahedron Based Spherical Stepping Motor,” Journal of Japan Society of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 116-121, 2010.
-  S. Ikeshita, A. Gofuku, T. Kamegawa, and T. Nagai, “Development of a Spherical Motor Driven by Electro-magnets,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 43-46, 2010.
-  W. Shan, A. Gofuku, M. Shibata, T. Yano, and T. Kamegawa, “A Stirrer Driven by a Spherical Stepping Motor,” PRZEGLAD ELEKTROTECHNICZNY (Electrical Review), Vol.88, Issue 7B, pp. 48-51, 2012.
-  W. Shan, A. Gofuku, T. Kamegawa, and M. Shibata, “Development of a Holonomic Omnidirectional Vehicle Driven by a Spherical Motor and Proposal of a Spherical Deceleration Driving Method,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), No.2011-JCR-0035, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  A. Gofuku, R. Sasaki, T. Yano, Y. Wada, and M. Shibata, “Development of a Spherical Stepping Motor Rotating around Six Axes,” Int. J. Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.39, pp. 905-911, 2012.
-  R. Sasaki, A. Gofuku, T. Yano, and M. Shibata, “Basic experimental results of a 14-12 spherical motor,” Proc. 2012 Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation & Motion, pp. 832-836, 2012.
-  A. Gofuku, Y. Okido, and T. Yano, “Evaluation of Basic Performances of a 14-12 Spherical Motor,” Proc. 2014 Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation & Motion, pp. 1277-1281, 2014.
-  K. Adachi, A. Gofuku, and T. Yano, “Simulation of rotation behavior of a 14-12 Spherical Motor,” Proc. 2014 Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation & Motion, pp. 1282-1286, 2014.