Age of Compensation – Challenge and Chance for Machine Tool Industry
Konrad Wegener*,†, Sascha Weikert**, and Josef Mayr*
*Institute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, ETH Zürich
Leonhardstrasse 21, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
*Inspire, Transfer Institute for Mechatronic Systems and Manufacturing Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
This paper firstly gives an introduction to the development of machining accuracy, and the contemporarily feasible compensations in the field of machine tools. The metrological means used for primarily static and kinematic compensations are discussed. Furthermore the focus is laid on the kinematic, dynamic and thermal compensation approaches, using various examples for these fields. The different phenomena to be compensated and the associated models are discussed in detail. As conclusions to be drawn, the repeatability of the systems, the ability of the models used in the CNC to represent the systematic behavior and the capabilities of the CNC can be seen as significant prerequisite for a successful application of compensation means.
-  R. Donaldson, “The Deterministic Approach to Machining Accuracy,” SME Fabrication Technology Symp., 1972.
-  N. Taniguchi, “Current Status in, and Future Trends of, Ultraprecision Machining and Ultrafine Materials Processing,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.32, No.2, pp. 573-582, 1983.
-  J. J. Craig, “Introduction to Mechanics and Control,” 2nd Edition, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1989.
-  J. Bryan, “International Status of Thermal Error Research,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 645-656, 1990.
-  S. Sartori, “Geometric Error Measurement and Compensation of Machines,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 599-609, 1995.
-  M. Weck, P. McKeown, R. Bonse, and U. Herbst, “Reduction and Compensation of thermal Errors in machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 589-598, 1995.
-  ISO 230-2:1997, “Test code for machine tools – Part 2: Determination of accuracy and repeatability of positioning numerically controlled axes,” 1997.
-  M. Honegger, “Konzept einer Steuerung mit Adaptiver Nichtlinearer Regelung für einen Parallelmanipulator,” Dissertation No.13162, ETH Zurich, 1999.
-  S. Weikert, “R-Test, a New Device for Accuracy Measurements on Five Axis Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Model-based ‘Chase-the-Ball’ Calibration of a 5-Axes Machining Center,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 531-534, 2006.
-  ISO 10791-10:2006, “Test code for machining centers – Part 10: Evaluation of thermal distortions,” 2006.
-  B. Bringmann, “Improving Geometric Calibration Methods for Multi-Axis Machining Centers by Examing Error Interdependencies Effects,” Dissertation No.17266, ETH Zurich, 2007.
-  ISO 230-3:2007, “Test code for machine tools – Part 3: Determination of thermal effects,” 2007.
-  H. Schwenke, “Geometric error measurement and compensation of machines – An update,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.57, pp. 660-675, 2008.
-  T. Liebrich, B. Bringmann, and W. Knapp, “Calibration of a 3D-ball plate,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  M. Steinlin, S. Weikert, and K. Wegener, “Open loop inertial cross-talk compensation based on measurement data,” 25th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Precision Engineering, ASPE, 2010.
-  M. Ess, “Simulation and Compensation of Thermal Errors of Machine Tools,” Dissertation, No.20300, ETH Zurich, 2012.
-  ISO-230-1:2012, “Test code for machine tools – Part 1: Geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or quasi-static conditions,” 2012.
-  J. Mayr, J. Jedrzejewski, E. Uhlmann, M. Donmez, W. Knapp, F. Härtig, K. Wendt, T. Moriwaki, P. Shore, R. Schmitt, C. Brecher, T. Würz, and K. Wegener, “Thermal issues in machine tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 771-791, 2012.
-  S. Thoma and S. Weikert, “Compensation strategies for axis coupling effects,” CIRP HPC 2012, Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 255-259, 2012.
-  M. H. Nguyen, S. Weikert, and K. Wegener, “Evaluation Method of Acceleration Correlated Position Errors in Machine Tools,” Proc. of ASPE, Vol.27, 2012.
-  M. Gebhardt, M. Ess, S. Weikert, W. Knapp, and K. Wegener, “Phenomenological Compensation of Thermally caused Position and Orientation Errors of Rotary Axes,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Available online 9 July 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2013.05.007, 2013.
-  M. Gebhardt, “Thermal Behaviour and Compensation of Rotary Axes in 5-Axis Machine Tools,” Dissertation, No.21733, ETH Zurich, 2014.
-  M. Gebhardt, J. Mayr, N. Furrer, T. Widmer, S. Weikert, and W. Knapp, “High precision grey-box model for compensation of thermal errors on five-axis machines,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.63, No.1, pp. 509-512, 2014.