Age of Compensation – Challenge and Chance for Machine Tool Industry
Konrad Wegener*,†, Sascha Weikert**, and Josef Mayr*
*Institute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing, ETH Zürich
Leonhardstrasse 21, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
**Inspire, Transfer Institute for Mechatronic Systems and Manufacturing Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
-  R. Donaldson, “The Deterministic Approach to Machining Accuracy,” SME Fabrication Technology Symp., 1972.
-  N. Taniguchi, “Current Status in, and Future Trends of, Ultraprecision Machining and Ultrafine Materials Processing,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.32, No.2, pp. 573-582, 1983.
-  J. J. Craig, “Introduction to Mechanics and Control,” 2nd Edition, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1989.
-  J. Bryan, “International Status of Thermal Error Research,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 645-656, 1990.
-  S. Sartori, “Geometric Error Measurement and Compensation of Machines,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 599-609, 1995.
-  M. Weck, P. McKeown, R. Bonse, and U. Herbst, “Reduction and Compensation of thermal Errors in machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 589-598, 1995.
-  ISO 230-2:1997, “Test code for machine tools – Part 2: Determination of accuracy and repeatability of positioning numerically controlled axes,” 1997.
-  M. Honegger, “Konzept einer Steuerung mit Adaptiver Nichtlinearer Regelung für einen Parallelmanipulator,” Dissertation No.13162, ETH Zurich, 1999.
-  S. Weikert, “R-Test, a New Device for Accuracy Measurements on Five Axis Machine Tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 429-432, 2004.
-  B. Bringmann and W. Knapp, “Model-based ‘Chase-the-Ball’ Calibration of a 5-Axes Machining Center,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.55, pp. 531-534, 2006.
-  ISO 10791-10:2006, “Test code for machining centers – Part 10: Evaluation of thermal distortions,” 2006.
-  B. Bringmann, “Improving Geometric Calibration Methods for Multi-Axis Machining Centers by Examing Error Interdependencies Effects,” Dissertation No.17266, ETH Zurich, 2007.
-  ISO 230-3:2007, “Test code for machine tools – Part 3: Determination of thermal effects,” 2007.
-  H. Schwenke, “Geometric error measurement and compensation of machines – An update,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.57, pp. 660-675, 2008.
-  T. Liebrich, B. Bringmann, and W. Knapp, “Calibration of a 3D-ball plate,” Precision Engineering, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 1-6, 2009.
-  M. Steinlin, S. Weikert, and K. Wegener, “Open loop inertial cross-talk compensation based on measurement data,” 25th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Precision Engineering, ASPE, 2010.
-  M. Ess, “Simulation and Compensation of Thermal Errors of Machine Tools,” Dissertation, No.20300, ETH Zurich, 2012.
-  ISO-230-1:2012, “Test code for machine tools – Part 1: Geometric accuracy of machines operating under no-load or quasi-static conditions,” 2012.
-  J. Mayr, J. Jedrzejewski, E. Uhlmann, M. Donmez, W. Knapp, F. Härtig, K. Wendt, T. Moriwaki, P. Shore, R. Schmitt, C. Brecher, T. Würz, and K. Wegener, “Thermal issues in machine tools,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 771-791, 2012.
-  S. Thoma and S. Weikert, “Compensation strategies for axis coupling effects,” CIRP HPC 2012, Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 255-259, 2012.
-  M. H. Nguyen, S. Weikert, and K. Wegener, “Evaluation Method of Acceleration Correlated Position Errors in Machine Tools,” Proc. of ASPE, Vol.27, 2012.
-  M. Gebhardt, M. Ess, S. Weikert, W. Knapp, and K. Wegener, “Phenomenological Compensation of Thermally caused Position and Orientation Errors of Rotary Axes,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Available online 9 July 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2013.05.007, 2013.
-  M. Gebhardt, “Thermal Behaviour and Compensation of Rotary Axes in 5-Axis Machine Tools,” Dissertation, No.21733, ETH Zurich, 2014.
-  M. Gebhardt, J. Mayr, N. Furrer, T. Widmer, S. Weikert, and W. Knapp, “High precision grey-box model for compensation of thermal errors on five-axis machines,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.63, No.1, pp. 509-512, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.