3-DOF Outer Rotor Electromagnetic Spherical Actuator
Yusuke Nishiura†, Katsuhiro Hirata, and Yo Sakaidani
Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Conventionally, many single-degree-of-freedom (single-DOF) actuators have been used to realize devices with multiple-degrees-of-freedom (multi-DOF). However, this makes their structures larger, heavier, and more complicated. In order to remove these drawbacks, the development of spherical actuators with multi-DOF is necessary. In this paper, we propose a new 3-DOF outer rotor electromagnetic spherical actuator with high torque density and wide rotation angles. The dynamic characteristics are computed employing 3-D FEM and its effectiveness is verified by carrying out measurements on a prototype. Then, in order to realize further high torque density, the electromagnetic pole arrangement is optimized using Genetic Algorithm (GA) and the effectiveness of the optimized stator poles arrangement is verified.
-  Y. Takeda, “Kinematic Structure and Characteristics of Parallel Manipulators,” Jounal of the Robotics society of Japan, Vol.30, No.20, pp. 124-129, 2012.
-  H. Asada, T Kaneda, and R. Reddy, “Design Concept of Direct-Drive Manipulators Using Rare-Earth DC Torque Motors,” Proc. of 11th ISIR, pp. 629-636, 1981.
-  N. Fukaya, K. Sawada, H. Oku, H. Wada, and S. Toyama, “Development of An Artificial Arm by Using a Spherical Ultrasonic Motor,” Jounal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.67, No.4, pp. 654-659, 2001.
-  R. Sakamoto, T, Ueno, Y. Ikehata, and S. Yamada, “Study on 3-DOF drive for Micro Spherical Motor using Magnetostrictive Material,” Annual Meeting of the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan Vol.2, pp. 148-149, 2011.
-  J. Wang, G. W. Jewell, and D. Howe, “A Novel Spherical Actuator: Design and Control,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.33, No.5, pp. 4209-4211, 1997.
-  J. Wang, K. Mitchell, G. W. Jewell, and D. Howe, “Multi-Degree-of-Freedom Spherical Permanent Magnet Motors,” Proc.s of the 2001 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1798-1805, 2001.
-  W. Wang, J. Wang, G. W. Jewell, and D. Howe, “Design and Control of a Novel Spherical Permanent Magnetic Actuator With Three Degrees of Freedom,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 457-468, 2003.
-  E. H. M. Weck, T. Reinartz, G. Henneberger, and R. W. De Doncker, “Design of a Spherical Motor with Three Degrees of Freedom,” CIRP Annals, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 289-294, 2000.
-  K. Kahlen, I. Voss, C. Priebe, and R. W. De Doncker, “Torque Control of a Spherical Machine With Variable Pole Pitch,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 1628-1634, 2004.
-  L. Yang, I-Meng Chen, C. K. Lim, G. Yang, W. Lin, and Kok-Meng Lee, “Torque Modeling of a Spherical Actuator Based on Lorentz Force Low,” Procs of the 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3646-3651, 2005.
-  H. Son and Kok-Meng Lee, “Open-Loop Controller Design and Dynamic Characteristics of a Spherical Wheel Motor,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.57, No.10, pp. 3475-3482, 2010.
-  W. Chen, L. Zhang, L. Yan, and J. Liu, “Design and control of a three degree-of-freedom permanent magnet spherical actuator,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, pp. 75-86, 2012.
-  C. Xia, H. Li, and T. Shi, “3-D Magnetic Field and Torque Analysis of a Novel Halbach Array Permanent-Magnet Spherical Motor,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.44, No.8, pp. 2016-2020, 2008.
-  B. van Ninhuijs, J. W. Jansen, B. L. J. Gysen, and E. A. Lomonova, “Topology Comparison of Slotless Permanent Magnet Semispherical Actuators,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.50, No.11, 2014.
-  B. van Ninhuijs, J. W. Jansen, B. L. J. Gysen, and E. A. Lomonova, “Comparison of Harmonic and Magnetic Charge Model for Spherical Magnetic Structures with a Neumann Boundary,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.51, No.11, 2015.
-  T. Yamamoto, K. Hirata, and Y. Hasegawa, “Proposal of Multi-degree Electromagnetic Actuators,” 16th MAGDA Conf., PS-1, P07, pp. 229-231, 2007.
-  S. Ikejiri and K. Hirata, “Torque Characteristic Evaluation on Spherical Electromagnetic Actuator with 3 Degree-of-Freedom,” The paper of Technical Meeting on Linear Drives, IEE Japan, LD-08-54, pp. 19-24, 2008.
-  Y. Sakaidani, K. Hirata, N. Niguchi, and S. Maeda, “Experimental vertification of feedback control of a 2-DOF spherical actuator,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.50, No.11, 2014.
-  M. Kumagai and R. L. Hollis, “Development and Control of a Three DOF Spherical Induction Motor,” Proc.s of the 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1520-1525, 2013.
-  A. Bhatia, M. Kumagai, and R. Hollis, “Six-Stator spherical induction motor for balancing mobile robots,” Proc. of the 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 226-231, 2015.
-  A. Gofuku, R. Sasaki, T. Yano, Y. Wada, and M. Shibata, “Development of a spherical stepping motor rotating around six axes,” Int. Jounal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol.39, pp. 905-911, 2012.
-  J. P. Cohoon and W. Paris, “Genetic placement,” IEEE Trans. on Computer-aided design of integrated circuits and systems, Vol.6, pp. 956-964, 1987.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.