A Process Decision Making Strategy Based on Sustainability Evaluation
Keiji Ogawa*1, Toshiki Hirogaki*2, Shreyes N. Melkote*3,
and Sachiko Ogawa*4
*1The University of Shiga Prefecture, 2500 Hassaka-cho, Hikone-shi, Shiga 522-8533, Japan
*2Doshisha University, 1-3 Tatara Miyakodani, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0394, Japan
*3Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0405, USA
*4Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-7-5 Toyosu, Koto, Tokyo 135-8548, Japan
This paper describes an approach achieving process design based on sustainability evaluation by Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). The case study focuses on quenching steel products, which was evaluated by comparing laser quenching to conventional furnace quenching based on the proposed approach. We found that the break-even point depends on production volume as one of product features. The proposed approach shows promise as a strategy for decision making in process design.
-  S. Touma, S. Ohmori, K. Kokubo, and M. Tateno, “Evaluation of Environmental Burden in Eco-friendly Machining Method using Life Cycle Assessment Method : Estimation of Carbon Dioxide Emission in Eco-friendly Turning Method (in Japanese),” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.6, pp. 825-830, 2003.
-  H. Narita and H. Fujimoto, “Analysis of environmental Impact due to machine Tool Operation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 49-55, 2009.
-  H. Narita, H. Kawamura, T. Norihisa, L. Chen, H. Fujimoto, and T. Hasebe, “Development of Prediction System of Environmental Burden for Machine Tool Operation: (2nd Report, Proposal of evaluation indicator for eco-efficiency),” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.49, No.4, pp. 1188-1195, 2006.
-  T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, K. Ogawa, T. Niiyama, M. Suzuki, and M. Iwama, “Environmental Impact of Desktop-sized Five-Axis CNC Machine Tool Estimated with LCA,” J. of Environment and Engineering, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 242-252, 2011.
-  B.D. Jeffrey and G.G. Timothy, “An Environmental Analysis of Machining,” Proc. of IMECE2004, IMECE2004-62600, pp. 1-10, 2004.
-  G.G. Timothy, B.D. Jeffrey, and T. Alex, “Electrical Energy Requirements for Manufacturing Processes,” 13th CIRP Int. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, pp. 1-5, 2006.
-  E. O’Driscoll, D. Ó. Cusack, and G. E. O’Donnell, “The Characterisation of Energy Consumption in Manufacturing Facilities – A Hierarchical Approach,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 727-734, 2013.
-  K.R. Haapala, F. Zhao, J. Camelio, J.W. Sutherland, S.J. Skerlos, D.A. Dornfeld, I.S. Jawahir, H.C. Zhang, and A.F. Clarens, “A Review of Engineering Research in Sustainable Manufacturing,” Proc. of MSEC2011, MSEC2011-50300, pp. 1-21, 2011.
-  K.R. Haapala, F. Zhao, J. Camelio, J.W. Sutherland, S.J. Skerlos, D.A. Dornfeld, I.S. Jawahir, H.C. Zhang, A.F. Clarens, and J.R. Rickli, “A Review of Engineering Research in Sustainable Manufacturing,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.135, 041013-3, pp. 1-16, 2013.
-  M. Garetti and M. Taisch, “Sustainable manufacturing: trends and research challenges,” Production Planning and Control, Vol.23, No.2-3, pp. 83-104, 2012.
-  Y. Umeda, T. Nishiyama, Y. Yamasaki, Y. Kishita, and S. Fukushige, “Proposal of sustainable society scenario simulator,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.1, Issue 4, pp. 272-278, 2009.
-  G. Finnveden, M.Z. Hauschild, T. Ekvall, J. Guinée, R. Heijungs, S. Hellweg, A. Koehler, D. Pennington, and S. Suh, “Recent developments in Life Cycle Assessment,” J. of Environmenatal Management, Vol.91, pp. 1-21, 2009.
-  A. Halog and Y. Manik, “Advancing Integrated Systems Modelling Framework for Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment,” Sustainability, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 469-499, 2011.
-  L. De Benedetto and J. Klemeš, “The Environmental Performance Strategy Map: an integrated LCA approach to support the strategic decision-making process,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.17, pp. 900-906, 2009.
-  International Trade Administration, 2014, “How does Commerce define Sustainable Manufacturing?” U.S. Department of Commerce.
Available: URL: http://www.trade.gov/competitiveness/sustainablemanufacturing/how_doc_defines_SM.asp [accessed on Jan. 21, 2011]
-  P. Franci, K. Davorin, K. Peter, and K. Janez, “Transitioning to sustainable production – Part II: evaluation of sustainable machining technologies,” J. of Cleaner Production, No.18, pp. 1211-1221, 2010.
-  A.D. Jayal, F. Badurdeen, O.W. Dillon Jr., and I.S. Jawahir, “Sustainable manufacturing: Modeling and optimization challenges at the product, process and system levels,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, No.2, pp. 144-152, 2010.
-  A. Inaba and N. Itsubo, “Development of LCIA Methodology Considering the Damages of Endpoints in LCA National Project of Japan,” Proc. of 5th Int. Conf EcoBalance 2002, pp. 27-28, 2002.
-  N. Aihara, T. Tsujimura, M. Uehara, and H. Tsuchiya, “Environmental Assessment forMaterial in the Railway (in Japanese),” RTRI REPORT, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 5-10, 2009.
-  K. Fujita, T. Harada, H. Michishita, and H. Tanaka, “CO2 Emission Comparison between Coal-based Direct Reduction Process and Conventional Blast Furnace Process,” Int. Symp. on Ironmaking for Sustainable Development, 2010.
-  S. Ogawa, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, S.N. Melkote, and M. Kumar, “An Investigation of The Environmental Impact of On-machine Laser Hardening of Small Parts,” Proc. of ISFA 2010, JPS-2588, pp. 1-4, 2010.