Fabrication of Precision Micrograting on Resin Substrate Utilizing Ultrasonic-Assisted Molding
Sergey Bolotov, Ryuichi Kobayashi, Keita Shimada,
Masayoshi Mizutani, and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa
Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki, Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Molding is an effective and efficient approach to producing highly functional optical elements with complex shapes. However, edge sharpness is a serious problem with molded microstructures. An Ultrasonic-Assisted Molding (UAM) device was developed to improve shape transferability. First, basic experiments showed that UAM induced a maximum temperature increase of 3.2°C for a polycarbonate substrate with a starting temperature of 170°C, and the stick-slip phenomenon was not observed with ultrasonic vibration. Second, UAM and conventional molding simulation models were constructed to compare the transferability of a microgroove; ultrasonic superimposed press movement demonstrated the highest transferability. Finally, micrograting was fabricated using UAM and conventional molding, and the UAMmicrograting had better transferability with a 30-smolding time. Therefore, UAM may be an effective process for reducing molding time.
Masayoshi Mizutani, and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa, “Fabrication of Precision Micrograting on Resin Substrate Utilizing Ultrasonic-Assisted Molding,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 43-50, 2015.
-  C. Lin, Y. Fang, and P. Yang, “Optical film with microstructures array for slim-type backlight applications,” Optik – Int. J. for Light and Electron Optics, Vol.122, Issue 13, pp. 1169-1173.6, 2010.
-  L. Thomas, N. Johan, and M. Gyorgy, “Silicon microstructures for high-speed and high-sensitivity protein identifications,” J. of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications, Vol.752, Issue 2, pp. 217-232, 2001.
-  J. Yan, T. Oowada, T. Zhou, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Precision machining of microstructures on electroless-plated NiP surface for molding glass components,” J. of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.209, Isseu 10, pp. 4802-4808, 2009.
-  J. Yan, K. Maekawa, J. Tamaki, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Micro grooving on single-crystal germanium for infrared Fresnel lenses,” J. of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol.10, pp. 1925-1931, 2005.
-  S. Hava and M. Auslender, “Design and analysis of low-reflection grating microstructures for a solar energy absorber,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol.61, Issue 2, pp. 143-151, 2000.
-  C. Li, Y. Fang, and M. Cheng, “Prism-pattern design of an LCD light guide plate using a neural-network optical model,” Optik – Int. J. for Light and Electron Optics, Vol.121, Issue 24, pp. 2245-2249, 2010.
-  T. Zhou, J. Yan, J. Masuda, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Investigation on the viscoelasticity of optical glass in ultraprecision lens molding process,” J. of materials processing technology, Vol.209, pp. 4484-4489, 2009.
-  T. Zhou, J. Yan, J. Masuda, T. Oowada, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Investigation on shape transferability in ultraprecision glass molding press for microgroove,” Precision Engeneering, Vol.35, Issue 2, pp. 214-220, 2011.
-  R. Kobayashi, T. Zhou, K. Shimada, M. Mizutani, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Ultraprecision glass molding press for microgrooves with different pich sizes,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 678-685, 2013.
-  CH. Lin and R. Chen, “Ultrasonic nanoimprint lithography: a new approach to nanopaterning,” J. of Micro/Nanolithography, Mems, and MOEMS, Vol.5, Issue 1, 011003, 2006.
-  H. Mekaru, H. Goto, and M. Takahashi, “Development of ultrasonic micro hot embossing technology,” Microelectric Engeneering, Vol.84, pp. 1282-1287, 2007.
-  YH. Tsai, JC. Heng, LC. Yin, and C. Hung, “Ultrasonic vibrationassisted optical glass hot embossing process,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.60, pp. 1207-1213, 2012.
-  S. Rendon et al., “Ultrasonic-assisted molding of precisely-shaped articles and methods,” U.S. Patent, 2013/0345384 A1, Dec. 26, 2013.
-  “Ultrasonic assisted manufacturing,” the Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity, Morikita-Shuppan Ltd., pp. 198-199, 2004.
-  D. Grewell and A. Banatar, “Welding of Plastics,” Intern. Polymer Processing XXII, pp. 43-60, 2007.
-  “Heat transfer engeneering,” the Japan Society of Mechanical Engeneering, JSME, p. 49, 2005.
-  R. Klein, “Welding of Plastics,” Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA., p. 27, 2011.
-  D. Ferry, “Viscoelastic properties of polymers,” Toukyo Kagaku Doujin, p. 405, 1960.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.