A Process Decision Making Strategy Based on Sustainability Evaluation
Keiji Ogawa*1, Toshiki Hirogaki*2, Shreyes N. Melkote*3,
and Sachiko Ogawa*4
*1The University of Shiga Prefecture, 2500 Hassaka-cho, Hikone-shi, Shiga 522-8533, Japan
*2Doshisha University, 1-3 Tatara Miyakodani, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto 610-0394, Japan
*3Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0405, USA
*4Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-7-5 Toyosu, Koto, Tokyo 135-8548, Japan
-  S. Touma, S. Ohmori, K. Kokubo, and M. Tateno, “Evaluation of Environmental Burden in Eco-friendly Machining Method using Life Cycle Assessment Method : Estimation of Carbon Dioxide Emission in Eco-friendly Turning Method (in Japanese),” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.6, pp. 825-830, 2003.
-  H. Narita and H. Fujimoto, “Analysis of environmental Impact due to machine Tool Operation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 49-55, 2009.
-  H. Narita, H. Kawamura, T. Norihisa, L. Chen, H. Fujimoto, and T. Hasebe, “Development of Prediction System of Environmental Burden for Machine Tool Operation: (2nd Report, Proposal of evaluation indicator for eco-efficiency),” JSME Int. J., Series C, Vol.49, No.4, pp. 1188-1195, 2006.
-  T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, K. Ogawa, T. Niiyama, M. Suzuki, and M. Iwama, “Environmental Impact of Desktop-sized Five-Axis CNC Machine Tool Estimated with LCA,” J. of Environment and Engineering, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 242-252, 2011.
-  B.D. Jeffrey and G.G. Timothy, “An Environmental Analysis of Machining,” Proc. of IMECE2004, IMECE2004-62600, pp. 1-10, 2004.
-  G.G. Timothy, B.D. Jeffrey, and T. Alex, “Electrical Energy Requirements for Manufacturing Processes,” 13th CIRP Int. Conf. on Life Cycle Engineering, pp. 1-5, 2006.
-  E. O’Driscoll, D. Ó. Cusack, and G. E. O’Donnell, “The Characterisation of Energy Consumption in Manufacturing Facilities – A Hierarchical Approach,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 727-734, 2013.
-  K.R. Haapala, F. Zhao, J. Camelio, J.W. Sutherland, S.J. Skerlos, D.A. Dornfeld, I.S. Jawahir, H.C. Zhang, and A.F. Clarens, “A Review of Engineering Research in Sustainable Manufacturing,” Proc. of MSEC2011, MSEC2011-50300, pp. 1-21, 2011.
-  K.R. Haapala, F. Zhao, J. Camelio, J.W. Sutherland, S.J. Skerlos, D.A. Dornfeld, I.S. Jawahir, H.C. Zhang, A.F. Clarens, and J.R. Rickli, “A Review of Engineering Research in Sustainable Manufacturing,” J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.135, 041013-3, pp. 1-16, 2013.
-  M. Garetti and M. Taisch, “Sustainable manufacturing: trends and research challenges,” Production Planning and Control, Vol.23, No.2-3, pp. 83-104, 2012.
-  Y. Umeda, T. Nishiyama, Y. Yamasaki, Y. Kishita, and S. Fukushige, “Proposal of sustainable society scenario simulator,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol.1, Issue 4, pp. 272-278, 2009.
-  G. Finnveden, M.Z. Hauschild, T. Ekvall, J. Guinée, R. Heijungs, S. Hellweg, A. Koehler, D. Pennington, and S. Suh, “Recent developments in Life Cycle Assessment,” J. of Environmenatal Management, Vol.91, pp. 1-21, 2009.
-  A. Halog and Y. Manik, “Advancing Integrated Systems Modelling Framework for Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment,” Sustainability, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 469-499, 2011.
-  L. De Benedetto and J. Klemeš, “The Environmental Performance Strategy Map: an integrated LCA approach to support the strategic decision-making process,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol.17, pp. 900-906, 2009.
-  International Trade Administration, 2014, “How does Commerce define Sustainable Manufacturing?” U.S. Department of Commerce.
Available: URL: http://www.trade.gov/competitiveness/sustainablemanufacturing/how_doc_defines_SM.asp [accessed on Jan. 21, 2011]
-  P. Franci, K. Davorin, K. Peter, and K. Janez, “Transitioning to sustainable production – Part II: evaluation of sustainable machining technologies,” J. of Cleaner Production, No.18, pp. 1211-1221, 2010.
-  A.D. Jayal, F. Badurdeen, O.W. Dillon Jr., and I.S. Jawahir, “Sustainable manufacturing: Modeling and optimization challenges at the product, process and system levels,” CIRP J. of Manufacturing Science and Technology, No.2, pp. 144-152, 2010.
-  A. Inaba and N. Itsubo, “Development of LCIA Methodology Considering the Damages of Endpoints in LCA National Project of Japan,” Proc. of 5th Int. Conf EcoBalance 2002, pp. 27-28, 2002.
-  N. Aihara, T. Tsujimura, M. Uehara, and H. Tsuchiya, “Environmental Assessment forMaterial in the Railway (in Japanese),” RTRI REPORT, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 5-10, 2009.
-  K. Fujita, T. Harada, H. Michishita, and H. Tanaka, “CO2 Emission Comparison between Coal-based Direct Reduction Process and Conventional Blast Furnace Process,” Int. Symp. on Ironmaking for Sustainable Development, 2010.
-  S. Ogawa, T. Hirogaki, E. Aoyama, S.N. Melkote, and M. Kumar, “An Investigation of The Environmental Impact of On-machine Laser Hardening of Small Parts,” Proc. of ISFA 2010, JPS-2588, pp. 1-4, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.