Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics
Shoichi Tamura* and Takashi Matsumura**
*Mechanical and Electronics Technology Division, Industrial Technology Center of Tochigi Prefecture, 1-5-20 Yuinomori, Utsunomiya, Tochigi 321-3226, Japan
**Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo Denki University, 5 Senjyu Asahi-cho, Adachi-ku, Tokyo 120-8551, Japan
An analytical forcemodel is applied in order to predict the cutting force in drilling of unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics (CFRP). Because a threedimensional chip flow is interpreted as a piling up of the orthogonal cuttings, the shear angle, the shear stress on the shear plane and the friction angle in the orthogonal cutting are obtained in the cutting tests. Because the chip thickness and the cutting force of CFRP depend on the cutting direction for the fiber orientation, the orthogonal cutting data are associated with the relative angle of the cutting direction with respect to the fiber orientation. The cutting forces in drilling are predicted using the orthogonal cutting data. The force model considering the fiber orientation is verified in comparison of the predicted cutting forces and the measured ones.
-  J. P. Davim and P. Reis, “Drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastics manufactured by autoclave – experimental and statistical study,” Materials and Design, Vol.24, pp. 315-324, 2003.
-  D. F. Liu, Y. J. Tang, and W. L. Cong, “A review of mechanical drilling for composite laminates,” Composite Structures, Vol.94, pp. 1265-1279, 2012.
-  W. C. Chen, “Some experimental investigations in the drilling of carbon fiber-rainforced plastic (CFRP) Composite Laminates,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.37, No.8, pp. 1097-1108, 1997.
-  C. C. Tsao and Y. C. Chiu, “Evaluation of drilling parameters on thrust force in drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) Composite Laminates Using Compound Core-special Drills,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.51, pp. 740-744, 2011.
-  U. Heisel and T. Pfeifroth, “Influence of point angle on drill hole quality and machining forces when drilling CFRP,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 471-476, 2012.
-  Y. Karpat, B. Deger, and O. Bahtiyar, “Drilling thick fabric woven CFRP laminates with double point angle drills,” J. of Mat. Proc. Tech., Vol.212, pp. 2117-2127, 2012.
-  E. Brinksmeier and R. Janssen, “Drilling of multi-Layer composite materials consisting of carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP), titanium and aluminum alloys,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 87-90, 2002.
-  X. Wang, P. Y. Kwon, C. Sturtevant, D. W. Kim, and J. Lantrip, “Tool wear of coated drills in drilling CFRP,” J. of Manufact. Proc., Vol.15, pp. 127-135, 2013.
-  R. Zitoune, V. Krishnaraj, B. S. Almabouacif, F. Collombet, M. Sima, and A. Jolin, “Influence of machining parameters and new nano-coated tool on drilling performance of CFRP/aluminium sandwich,” Composites: Part B, Vol.43, pp. 1480-1488, 2012.
-  D. Iliescu, D. Gehin, M. E. Gutierrez, and F. Girot, “Modeling and tool wear in drilling of CFRP,” Int. J. of Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.50, pp. 204-213, 2010.
-  D. H. Wang, M. Ramulu, and D. Arola, “Orthogonal cutting mechanisms of graphite/epoxy composite. part 1: unidirectional laminate,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.35, No.12, pp. 1623-1638, 1995.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of carbon fiber orientation and helix angle on CFRP cutting characteristics by end-milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 292-299, 2013.
-  D. Arola and M. Ramulu, “Orthogonal cutting of fiber-reinforced composites: a finite element analysis,” Int. J. Mach. Sci., Vol.39, No.5, pp. 507-613, 1997.
-  G. V. G. Rao, P. Mahajan, and N. Bhatnagar, “Micro-mechanical modeling of machining of FRP composites – cutting force analysis,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.67, pp. 579-593, 2007.
-  E. Usui, A. Hirota, and M. Masuko, “Analytical prediction of three dimensional cutting process – part1: basic cutting model and energy approach,” Trans. of the ASME, J. of Eng. for Ind., Vol.100, pp. 222-228, 1978.
-  T. Matsumura and J. Leopold, “Simulation of drilling process for control of burr formation,” J. of Adv. Mech. Des., Sys., and Manufact., Vol.4, No.5, pp. 966-975, 2010.
-  S. Tamura, T. Matsumura, and P. J. Arrazola, “Cutting force prediction in drilling of titanium alloy,” J. of Adv. Mech. Des., Sys., and Manufact., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 753-763, 2012.
-  K. Nakayama and M. Arai, “On the storage of data on metal cutting force,” CIRP Annals, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 13-18, 1976.
-  K. Kashimura, “Study on prediction of tool flank wear by means of cutting force ratios (1st report) – Setting of criterion for sensing of tool wear by analytical method,” J. of Japan Soc. for Prec. Eng., Vol.51, No.11, pp. 2115-2121, 1985. (in Japanese)
-  T. Matsumura and E. Usui, “Predictive cutting force model in complex-shaped end milling based on minimum cutting energy,” Int. J. of Mach. Tools and Manufact., Vol.50, No.5, pp. 458-466, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.