Cutting Force Prediction in Drilling of Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics
Shoichi Tamura* and Takashi Matsumura**
*Mechanical and Electronics Technology Division, Industrial Technology Center of Tochigi Prefecture, 1-5-20 Yuinomori, Utsunomiya, Tochigi 321-3226, Japan
**Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo Denki University, 5 Senjyu Asahi-cho, Adachi-ku, Tokyo 120-8551, Japan
-  J. P. Davim and P. Reis, “Drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastics manufactured by autoclave – experimental and statistical study,” Materials and Design, Vol.24, pp. 315-324, 2003.
-  D. F. Liu, Y. J. Tang, and W. L. Cong, “A review of mechanical drilling for composite laminates,” Composite Structures, Vol.94, pp. 1265-1279, 2012.
-  W. C. Chen, “Some experimental investigations in the drilling of carbon fiber-rainforced plastic (CFRP) Composite Laminates,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.37, No.8, pp. 1097-1108, 1997.
-  C. C. Tsao and Y. C. Chiu, “Evaluation of drilling parameters on thrust force in drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) Composite Laminates Using Compound Core-special Drills,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.51, pp. 740-744, 2011.
-  U. Heisel and T. Pfeifroth, “Influence of point angle on drill hole quality and machining forces when drilling CFRP,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.1, pp. 471-476, 2012.
-  Y. Karpat, B. Deger, and O. Bahtiyar, “Drilling thick fabric woven CFRP laminates with double point angle drills,” J. of Mat. Proc. Tech., Vol.212, pp. 2117-2127, 2012.
-  E. Brinksmeier and R. Janssen, “Drilling of multi-Layer composite materials consisting of carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP), titanium and aluminum alloys,” Annals of CIRP, Vol.51, No.1, pp. 87-90, 2002.
-  X. Wang, P. Y. Kwon, C. Sturtevant, D. W. Kim, and J. Lantrip, “Tool wear of coated drills in drilling CFRP,” J. of Manufact. Proc., Vol.15, pp. 127-135, 2013.
-  R. Zitoune, V. Krishnaraj, B. S. Almabouacif, F. Collombet, M. Sima, and A. Jolin, “Influence of machining parameters and new nano-coated tool on drilling performance of CFRP/aluminium sandwich,” Composites: Part B, Vol.43, pp. 1480-1488, 2012.
-  D. Iliescu, D. Gehin, M. E. Gutierrez, and F. Girot, “Modeling and tool wear in drilling of CFRP,” Int. J. of Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.50, pp. 204-213, 2010.
-  D. H. Wang, M. Ramulu, and D. Arola, “Orthogonal cutting mechanisms of graphite/epoxy composite. part 1: unidirectional laminate,” Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., Vol.35, No.12, pp. 1623-1638, 1995.
-  M. Hagino and T. Inoue, “Effect of carbon fiber orientation and helix angle on CFRP cutting characteristics by end-milling,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 292-299, 2013.
-  D. Arola and M. Ramulu, “Orthogonal cutting of fiber-reinforced composites: a finite element analysis,” Int. J. Mach. Sci., Vol.39, No.5, pp. 507-613, 1997.
-  G. V. G. Rao, P. Mahajan, and N. Bhatnagar, “Micro-mechanical modeling of machining of FRP composites – cutting force analysis,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.67, pp. 579-593, 2007.
-  E. Usui, A. Hirota, and M. Masuko, “Analytical prediction of three dimensional cutting process – part1: basic cutting model and energy approach,” Trans. of the ASME, J. of Eng. for Ind., Vol.100, pp. 222-228, 1978.
-  T. Matsumura and J. Leopold, “Simulation of drilling process for control of burr formation,” J. of Adv. Mech. Des., Sys., and Manufact., Vol.4, No.5, pp. 966-975, 2010.
-  S. Tamura, T. Matsumura, and P. J. Arrazola, “Cutting force prediction in drilling of titanium alloy,” J. of Adv. Mech. Des., Sys., and Manufact., Vol.6, No.6, pp. 753-763, 2012.
-  K. Nakayama and M. Arai, “On the storage of data on metal cutting force,” CIRP Annals, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 13-18, 1976.
-  K. Kashimura, “Study on prediction of tool flank wear by means of cutting force ratios (1st report) – Setting of criterion for sensing of tool wear by analytical method,” J. of Japan Soc. for Prec. Eng., Vol.51, No.11, pp. 2115-2121, 1985. (in Japanese)
-  T. Matsumura and E. Usui, “Predictive cutting force model in complex-shaped end milling based on minimum cutting energy,” Int. J. of Mach. Tools and Manufact., Vol.50, No.5, pp. 458-466, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.