Study on Knowledge-Based Product Design Framework for Facilitating the Interaction of Model Based Development and Prototyping
Yutaka Nomaguchi, Masashi Mizuta, Masaya Hirooka,
and Kikuo Fujita
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Osaka University, 2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Model-based development is a potential approach to designing complicated mechatronic systems. This paper proposes a product design framework for mechatronic systems, which integrates model-based development with prototyping and focuses on its process of deployment with hypothesis and verification. SysML is adopted as the modeling language for representing the mechatronic system without depending on specific domains, and FMEA is adopted as the method for describing the results of validation by prototyping. The DRIFT framework is used to capture designer’s operations on the design tools of SysML and FMEA and to manage its process. This study defines design concepts and design operations that are extracted from the patterns embedded in design process with SysML and FMEA. A design example of a ball-sorting robot is created using LEGO Mindstorms to demonstrate the proposed framework.
-  M. H. Ang, Jr, “Editorial: Special Issue on Mechatronics,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.5, No.6, p. 891, 2011.
-  G. Karsai, J. Sztipanovits, A. Ledeczi, and T. Bapty, “Model-Integrated Development of Embedded Software,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.91, Issue 1, pp. 145-164, 2003.
-  J. Zhang and B. Cheng, “Model-based Development of Dynamically Adaptive Software,” In Proc. – Int. Conf. on Software Engineering, Vol.2006, pp. 371-380, 2006.
-  H. Matsubara and K. Hashida, “Partiality of Information and Unsolvability of the Frame Problem,” J. of Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 695-703, 1989. (in Japanese)
-  J. Holt and S. Perry, “SysML for Systems Engineering (Professional Applications of Computing),” The Institution of Engineering and Technology, 2008.
-  D. H. Stamatis, “Failure Mode and Effect Analysis: FMEA from Theory to Execution,” ASQCQuality Press,Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1995.
-  Y. Nomaguchi and K. Fujita, “Knowledge Representation Framework for Interactive Capture andManagement of Reflection Process in Product Concepts Development,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol.27, Issue 4, pp. 537-554, 2013.
-  The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, (Ed.), “JSMEMechanical Engineers’ Handbook Fundamentals β1 : Design Engineering,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2007. (in Japanese)
-  S. Mattsson, H. Elmqvist, and M. Otter, “Physical System Modeling with Modelica,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.6, Issue 4, pp. 501-510, 1998.
-  J. McCarthy, “Applications of circumscription to formalizing common-sense knowledge,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.28, Issue 1, pp. 89-116, 1986.
-  D. A. Schön, “The Reflective Practitioner – How Professionals Think in Action,” Basic Books Inc, 1983.
-  J. Malin, B. Basham, and R. Harris, “Use of Qualitative Models in Discrete Event Simulation to Analyze Malfunctions in Processing Systems,” Academic Press, 1990.
-  G. Engels, R. Heckel, J. Küster, and L. Groenewegen, “Consistency-preserving Model Evolution through Transformations,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseriesLecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 2460 LNCS:212.227, 2002.
-  G. Thimm, S. Lee, and Y. Ma, “Towards Unified Modeling of Product Life-Cycles,” Computers in Industry, Vol.57, No.4, pp. 331-341, 2006.
-  H. Hibino, T. Sakuma, and M. Yamaguchi, “Evaluation System for Energy Consumption and Productivity in Manufacturing System Simulation,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 279-288, 2012.
-  T. Gotoh, T. Eguchi, T. Koga, and K.Aoyama, “Modeling for Product Requirements Based on Logical Structure of Product: Model-Driven Development Method for Mechanical/Electrical/Soft Integrated Products Using SysML,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. C, Vol.76, No.771, pp. 2754-2763, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  T. Eguchi, T. Gotoh, T. Koga, and K. Aoyama, “Impact Analysis of Design Change Based on Requirement Model of Mechatronics Product,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. C, Vol.76, No.771, pp. 2772-2781, 2010. (in Japanese)
-  R. Fukui, S. Kousaka, T. Sato, and M. Shimosaka, “Design Methodology for Human Symbiotic Mmachines based on the Description of User’s Mental Model,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 726-736, 2013.
-  G. Detommasi, R. Vitelli, L. Boncagni, and A. Neto, “Modeling of MARTe-based real-time applications with SysML,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics, Vol.9, Issue 4, pp. 2407-2415, 2013.
-  S. Yoshida, Y. Ueda, and S. Nakajima, “A Study of Model Transformation Method Between UML and Simulink,” IEICE Technical Report. SS, Software Science, Vol.109, Issue 231, pp. 25-30, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  M. Abdul Rahman and M. Mizukawa, “Model-based Development and Simulation for Robotic Systems with SysML, Simulink and Simscape Profiles,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.10, No.8, 2013.
-  A. Schürr, “Specification of Graph Translators with Triple Graph Grammars,” E.W. Mayr, G. Schmidt, and G. Tinhofer, (Eds.), Proc. of WG ’94 Workshop on Graph-theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, pp. 151-163, 1994.
-  Y. Cao, Y. Liu, and C. Paredis, “System-level Model Integration of Design and Simulation for Mechatronic Systems based on SysML,” Mechatronics, Vol.21, Issue 6, pp. 1063-1075, 2011.
-  H. Van Der Auweraer, J. Anthonis, S. De Bruyne, and J. Leuridan, “Virtual Engineering at Work: The Challenges for Designing Mechatronic Products,” Engineering with Computers, Vol.29, Issue 3, pp. 389-408, 2013.
-  Y. Nomaguchi and K. Fujita, “Ontology Building for Design Knowledge Management Systems Based on Patterns Embedded in Design-for-X Methodologies,” In Proc. of 16th Int. Conf. on Engineering Design (ICED 07), 2007.
-  K. Fujita and T. Nishikawa, “Value-Addition Pattern of Consumer Products over Life Stages and Design Assessment Method with Quality Function Deployment,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. C, Vol.67, No.656, pp. 1202-1209, 2001. (in Japanese)