Development of an Ultrasonically-Assisted Electrolytic Grinding System
Satoshi Kobayashi*, Keita Shimada**, Chikashi Murakoshi*,
Kazunori Koike*, Masayuki Takahashi*, Toru Tachibana*,
and Tsunemoto Kuriyagawa**
*Micron Machinery Co., Ltd., 578-2 Uwano, Zao, Yamagata 990-2303, Japan
**Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
Conventional methods of grinding tend to be less efficient and less accurate for circumferential surfaces of smaller inner diameter. To make such grinding highly accurate and highly efficient, we have developed an Ultrasonically-Assisted Grinding Unit (UAG-Unit) by providing ultrasonic assistance to conventional internal grinding. In addition, we have also developed an Ultrasonic and Electrolytic Grinding System (UEGSystem), which incorporates the effects of both ultrasonic vibrations and electrolytic actions into the conventional grinding of parts with small internal diameters and high aspect ratios.
-  N. Suzuki, Z. Yan, M. Haritani, J. Yang, S. Hamada, R. Hino, and E. Shamoto, “Ultraprecision Machining of Tungsten Alloy by Applying Ultrasonic Elliptical Vibration Cutting,” J. of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.73, No.3, pp. 360-366, 2007.
-  M. Jin, H. Kanai, and M. Kodama, “Development of Ultrasonic Spindle for Machine Tool and Evaluation of Cutting Performance,” IEICE Technical Report US2010, Vol.88, No.12, pp. 19-22, 2010.
-  K. Shimada, T. Zhou, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Statistical approach for calculating ground surface roughness of ultrasonicassisted grinding,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.56, No.11, pp. 752-757, 2012.
-  K. Shimada, P. J. Liew, T. Zhou, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Statistical Approach Optimizing Slant Feed Grinding,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 898-907, 2012.
-  K. Shimada, T. Tateishi, N. Yoshihara, J. Yan, and T. Kuriyagawa, “Ultrasonic-assisted micro-grinding with electroplated diamond wheels,” J. of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology, Vol.53, No.1, pp. 45-48, 2009.