Measurement of Rigidity Change of Preload Switching Spindle
Taku Yamazaki*, Atsushi Matsubara**,
and Shinya Ikenaga**
*Development and Design Department, Yamazaki Mazak Corporation, Oguchi-cho, Aichi 480-0197, Japan
**Department of Micro Engineering, Kyoto University, Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-0024, Japan
High performance milling spindles with high rigidity and high speed are required for high productive machining. A preload switching spindle has been designed to obtain high rigidity at low speeds while avoiding bearing burn at high speeds. In this report, the load-displacement relationship of a preload switching spindle is measured with a non-contact magnetic loading device. Measurement and simulation results are compared to clarify the rigidity change by preload switching.
and Shinya Ikenaga, “Measurement of Rigidity Change of Preload Switching Spindle,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.6, No.2, pp. 175-179, 2012.
-  S. Nakamura and Y. Kakino, “A Performance Evaluation of Preload Switching Spindle,” J. of JSPE, Vol.60, No.5, pp. 688-692, 1994.
-  K. Fujii, S. Shimizu, and M. Mori, “Preload Control Technology of Rolling Bearings for Machine Tool Spindles,” J. of JSPE Vol.67, No.3, pp. 418-422, 2001.
-  T. Fujita, A. Matsubara, I. Yamaji, and S. Ibaraki, “Measurement of Spindle Stiffness for the Monitoring System of Cutting Force,” Proc. of the 2008 ISFA, ASME, June 23-26, JS015, 2008.
-  T. Tsuneyoshi, “Spindle Preload Measurement and Analysis,” Proc. of the 2007 ASPE Summer Topical Meeting, ASPE, June 11 and 12, State College, PA, pp. 35-38, 2007.
-  Y. Yamane, K. Yamato, K. Yanagi, and N. Narutaki, “Simple Estimating Method of Dynamic Rigidity ofMachining Center Spindle,” Vol.65, No.1, p. 136, 1999.
-  A. Albrecht et al., “High frequency bandwidth cutting force measurement in milling using capacitance displacement sensors,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.45, No.9, pp. 993-1008, 2005.
-  M. Rantatalo, J. O. Aidanpaa, B. Goransson, and P. Norman, “Milling Machine Spindle Analysis using FEM and Non-contact Spindle Excitation and Response Measurement,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1034-1045, 2007.
-  J. H. Kim, H. K. Chang, D. C. Han, D. Y. Jang, and S. I. Oh, “Cutting Force Estimation by Measuring Spindle Displacement in Milling Process,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 67-70, 2005.
-  T. Yamazaki, T. Muraki, A. Matsubara, M. Aoki, K. Iwawaki, and K. Kawashima, “Development of a High-Performance Spindle for Multitasking Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 378-384, 2009.
-  T. Yamazaki, A. Matsubara, T. Fujita, T. Muraki, K. Asano, and K. Kawashima, “Measurement of Spindle Rigidity by using a Magnet Loader,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 985-994, 2010.