Measurement of Rigidity Change of Preload Switching Spindle
Taku Yamazaki*, Atsushi Matsubara**,
and Shinya Ikenaga**
*Development and Design Department, Yamazaki Mazak Corporation, Oguchi-cho, Aichi 480-0197, Japan
**Department of Micro Engineering, Kyoto University, Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-0024, Japan
High performance milling spindles with high rigidity and high speed are required for high productive machining. A preload switching spindle has been designed to obtain high rigidity at low speeds while avoiding bearing burn at high speeds. In this report, the load-displacement relationship of a preload switching spindle is measured with a non-contact magnetic loading device. Measurement and simulation results are compared to clarify the rigidity change by preload switching.
-  S. Nakamura and Y. Kakino, “A Performance Evaluation of Preload Switching Spindle,” J. of JSPE, Vol.60, No.5, pp. 688-692, 1994.
-  K. Fujii, S. Shimizu, and M. Mori, “Preload Control Technology of Rolling Bearings for Machine Tool Spindles,” J. of JSPE Vol.67, No.3, pp. 418-422, 2001.
-  T. Fujita, A. Matsubara, I. Yamaji, and S. Ibaraki, “Measurement of Spindle Stiffness for the Monitoring System of Cutting Force,” Proc. of the 2008 ISFA, ASME, June 23-26, JS015, 2008.
-  T. Tsuneyoshi, “Spindle Preload Measurement and Analysis,” Proc. of the 2007 ASPE Summer Topical Meeting, ASPE, June 11 and 12, State College, PA, pp. 35-38, 2007.
-  Y. Yamane, K. Yamato, K. Yanagi, and N. Narutaki, “Simple Estimating Method of Dynamic Rigidity ofMachining Center Spindle,” Vol.65, No.1, p. 136, 1999.
-  A. Albrecht et al., “High frequency bandwidth cutting force measurement in milling using capacitance displacement sensors,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.45, No.9, pp. 993-1008, 2005.
-  M. Rantatalo, J. O. Aidanpaa, B. Goransson, and P. Norman, “Milling Machine Spindle Analysis using FEM and Non-contact Spindle Excitation and Response Measurement,” Int. J. of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.47, pp. 1034-1045, 2007.
-  J. H. Kim, H. K. Chang, D. C. Han, D. Y. Jang, and S. I. Oh, “Cutting Force Estimation by Measuring Spindle Displacement in Milling Process,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.54, No.1, pp. 67-70, 2005.
-  T. Yamazaki, T. Muraki, A. Matsubara, M. Aoki, K. Iwawaki, and K. Kawashima, “Development of a High-Performance Spindle for Multitasking Machine Tools,” Int. J. of Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 378-384, 2009.
-  T. Yamazaki, A. Matsubara, T. Fujita, T. Muraki, K. Asano, and K. Kawashima, “Measurement of Spindle Rigidity by using a Magnet Loader,” J. of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 985-994, 2010.