A Study on Semi-Active Magnetic Bearing Position-Controlled by Piezoelectric Actuators
Jung-Ho Park, Hu-Seung Lee, Young-Bog Ham,
and So-Nam Yun
Energy Plant Research Division, Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials, 104 Sinseongno, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-343, Republic of Korea
This paper investigates non-contact hybrid bearings that use permanent magnets for repulsive force and piezoelectric actuators for position-control. A structurally-improved hybrid bearing is presented. First, the concept of the hybrid bearing is briefly introduced along with previous test results. Then, the newly devised bearing with a decreased gap between rotor and stator is designed and analyzed with FEM to optimize the magnetic forces. Finally, a prototype bearing using the proposed mechanism is fabricated and a control method is discussed.
and So-Nam Yun, “A Study on Semi-Active Magnetic Bearing Position-Controlled by Piezoelectric Actuators,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 594-600, 2011.
-  J.-H. Park, D.-W. Yun, S.-N. Yun, and Y.-B. Ham, “A Hybrid Magnetic Bearing Using Permanent Magnets and Piezoelectric Actuators,” Proc. of ICMDT, 2009.
-  Y. Iwata and H. Sato, “Vibration of Rotor in Induction Motor,” Asia-Pacific Vibration Conf. ’97, pp. 242-246, 1997.
-  Q. Jang, G. Guo, and C. Bi, “Air bearing Spindle Motor for Hard Disk Drives,” Tribology & Lubrication Technology, 2006.
-  D. J. Clark, M. J. Jansen, and G. T. Montague, “An Overview of Magnetic Bearing Technology for Gas Turbine Engines,” NASA/TM-2004-213177, 2004.
-  W. Morales, R. Fusaro, and A. Kascak, “Permanent magnetic bearing for spacecraft applications,” Tribology Trans., 2003.
-  T. Ohji et al., “Permanent Magnet Bearings for Horizontal- and Vertical-Shaft Machines: A Comparative Study,” J. of Applied Physics, 31-8, pp. 4648-4650, 1999.
-  R. Moser, J. Sandtner, and H. Bleuler, “Optimization of Repulsive Passive Magnetic Bearings,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.42, Issue 8, pp. 2038-2042, 2006.
-  J. Sandtner and H. Bleuler, “Electrodynamic Passive Magnetic Bearing with Planar Halbach Arrays,” Proc. of the 9th Int. Symp. on Magnetic Bearings, 2004.
-  H. Isobe and A. Kyusojin, “Development of Active Squeeze Gas Bearing Driven by Piezoelectric Actuators-Construction of Radial Squeeze Gas Bearing and Proposal of Numerical Analysis Technique,” Proc. of the 6th ICMT, pp. 439-444, 2002.
-  T. Oiwa and R. Suzuki, “Linear Rectangular Air Bearing Based on Squeeze Film Generated by Ultrasonic Oscillation,” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.76, 7, pp. 1-7, 2005.
-  T. Morita, K. Shimizu, M. Hasegawa, K. Oka, and T. Hoguchi, “A Miniaturized Levitation System with Motion Control Using a Piezoelectric Actuator,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 666-670, 2002.
-  K. Oka, T. Higuchi, and T. Shiraishi, “Hanging-Type Mag-Lev System with Permanent Magnet Motion Control,” Electrical Engineering in Japan, Vol.133, No.3, pp. 63-70, 2000.
-  T. Mizuno and M. Aizawa, “Repulsive magnetic bearing stabilized by the motion control of magnets with a piezoelectric actuator,” Int. J. of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics,” Vol.13, No.1~4, pp. 155-162, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.