Drive of Piezoelectric Actuators Using an Electrical Depoling Process
Kitakyushu National College of Technology, 5-20-1 Shii, Kokuraminami-ku, Kitakyushu City, Fukuoka 802-0985, Japan
In conventional drives of piezoelectric actuators, the piezoelectricity of the material itself has not been controlled electrically. A newly-developed electrical depoling process is proposed and applied to piezoelectric actuators in this study. Selectable piezoelectric and non-piezoelectric responses of the piezoelectric element can be obtained using the electrical depoling process. A piezoelectric unimorph and a gripper consisting of two unimorphs are chosen to demonstrate the drive of piezoelectric actuators using electrical depoling. It is shown that displacement is not induced in the electrically depoled samples until the applied field exceeds the critical value. From the electric field dependence of induced displacement, conflicts among ferroelectric domains during polarization switching are suggested to be the origin of the electrically depoled state. It is also demonstrated that electrically depoled piezoelectric ceramics exhibit digital-like displacements. Potential uses for the drive of piezoelectric actuators that use the electrical depoling is also discussed.
-  K. Uchino, “Piezoelectric Actuators and Ultrasonic Motors,” Kluwer Academic Pub, 1996.
-  Y. Irie, H. Aoyama, J. Kubo, T. Fujioka, and T. Usuda, “Piezo-Impact-Driven X-Y Stage and Precise Sample Holder for Accurate Microlens Alignment,” J. Robotics and Mechatronics, 21, No.5, pp. 635-641, 2009.
-  I. Ogura and Y. Okazaki, “Development of Micro Probe System for Micro Measurement Center,” Int. J. Automation Technology, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 471-477, 2009.
-  M. J. Higgins, A. Krishnan, M. M. J. Treacy, and S. Bhattacharya, “Depoling a Ferroelectric Capacitor,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 80, pp. 3373-3375, 2002.
-  T. Ogawa, “Poling Field Dependence of Crystal Orientation and Ferroelectric Properties in Lead Titanate Ceramics,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 39, pp. 5538-5541, 2000.
-  T. Ogawa and K. Nakamura, “Poling Field Dependence of Ferroelectric Properties and Crystal Orientation in Rhombohedral Lead Zirconate Titanate Ceramics,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 37, pp. 5241-5245, 1998.
-  J. Fousek, L. E. Cross, and J. Nosek, “Domain Phenomena in Single Crystalline and Ceramic Ferroics: Unresolved and Attractive Problems,” Microelectron. Eng., 66, pp. 574-583, 2003.
-  H. Aburatani, “Evaluation of Ferroelectric Domain Behaviors Using Acoustic Emission Method,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 49, 09MD05, 2010.
-  R. Halmshaw, “Non-Destructive Testing,” Edward Arnold, London, 1991, 2nd ed., Chap.2, p. 273, 1991.
-  H. Aburatani and K. Uchino, “Acoustic Emission (AE) Measurement Technique in Piezoelectric Ceramics,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 35 L516-518, 1996.