Status Monitoring of Ultraprecision Machining Using Micro Thermo Sensor and AE Sensor
Hayato Yoshioka, Mamoru Hayashi, and Hidenori Shinno
Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8503, Japan
Higher machining accuracy and productivity have been recently required in various manufacturing industry. Machining monitoring requirements have grown increasingly severe. To meet these strict requirements, we developed machining status monitoring system for ultraprecision process combining an original micro thermo sensor and an acoustic emission (AE) sensor. Ultraprecision machining experiments confirmed that the developed monitoring system detects machining status using feature parameters defined relating output signals to machining conditions.
- G. F. Micheletti, W. Koenig, and H. R. Victor, “In-process Tool Wear Sensors for Cutting Operation,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 483-496, 1976.
- J. Tlusty and G. C. Andrews, “A Critical Review of Sensors for Unmanned Machining,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.32, No.2, pp. 563-573, 1983.
- K. Iwata and T. Moriwaki, “An Application of Acoustic Emission Measurement to In-process Sensing of Tool Wear,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 21-26, 1977.
- H. Yoshioka, H. Hashizume, and H. Shinno, “In-process Mircosensor for Ultraprecision Machining,” IEE Proceeding of Science, Measurement & Technology, Vol.151, No.2, pp. 121-125, 2004.
- M. Hayashi, H. Yoshioka, and H. Shinno, “An Adaptive Control of Ultraprecision Machining with an In-Process Micro-sensor,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 322-331, 2008.
- Y. Nakao and D. A. Dornfeld, “Diamond Turning Using Position and AE Dual Feedback Control System,” Precision Engineering, Vo.27, No.2, pp. 117-124, 2003.
- H. Shinno, H. Hashizume, Y. Ito, and C. Sato, “Structural Configuration and Performances of Machining Environment-controlled Ultraprecision Diamond Turning Machine ‘Capsule’,” Annals of the CIRP, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 425-428, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.