Figure Error Control for Microgrooving on Ordinary Lateral Milling Machines Using a Reference Surface to Control Cutting
Takanori Yazawa, Yousuke Hattori, Yasuhiko Ogiya, and Tatsuhiro Kojima
Nagasaki University, 1-14 Bunkyomachi, Nagasaki City, Nagasaki 852-8521, Japan
This paper proposes improving microgrooving system on an ordinary lateral milling machine by using controlled cutting with reference surface (CCRS). CCRS improves ultra-precision machining accuracy through in-process measurement and control. CCRS controls relative displacement between the tool and workpiece, effectively improving table motion error accuracy. CCRS was confirmed in simulation and experiments to (1) improve accuracy if digital control sampling time is enough shorter than the error motion period and (2) worsen surface roughness because the feed rate equals cutting speed in shaping if the shorter sampling time for the error motion period cannot be used. In other words, the relationship between improvement in table error motion accuracy and desirable surface roughness is a trade-off solved by using fly cutting with CCRS.
-  F. H. Japitana, Y. Takeuchi, et al., “Highly efficient manufacture of groove with sharp corner on adjoining surfaces by 6-axis control ultrasonic vibration cutting,” PRECISION ENGINEERING, Elsevier, Vol.29, pp. 431-439, 2005.8.
-  H. Suzuki, O. Horiuchi, et al., “Precision Grinding of Micro Aspherical Surface,” Advances in Abrasive Technology III 2000, pp. 573-578, 2000.
-  T. Yazawa, M. Masuda, N. Ishibashi, et al., “Form Accuracy in Multi Grooving Using Burnishing Tool,” Advances in Abrasive Technology III 2000, pp. 587-591, 2000.
-  T. Kohno, T. Yazawa, et al., “Figure Error Control for Diamond Turning by In-process Measurement,” Precision engineering, Vol.29, pp. 391-395, 2005.
-  T. Yazawa, T. Kohno, Y. Uda, N. Ohno, et al., “In-process Measurement and Workpiece Referred Form Accuracy Control (6th report),” Journal of JSPE, Vol.64, No.12, pp. 1806-1810, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Uda, T. Yazawa, T. Kohno, et al., “Concept and basic study of improvement system of surface roughness, waviness and figure accuracy by WORFAC,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.62, pp. 423-427, 1996.
-  T. Yazawa, T. Yamazaki, and T. Kohno, “In-process Measurement and Workpiece Referred Form Accuracy Control (7th report),” Journal of JSPE, Vol.64, No.11, pp. 1689-1693, 1998 (in Japanese).