Development of Unidirectional Fiber Reinforced Product
Takeshi Nakamoto and Kazutoshi Matsuzaki
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chiba University
1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
To produce microparts using short unidirectional ferromagnetic fibers added to a liquid photopolymer, we applied a magnetic field to align fiber axes in the direction of the magnetic field, then, solidified the photopolymer by irradiating ultraviolet (UV) laser in the desired shape. The apparatus for applying the magnetic field consists of one vertical and four horizontal electromagnets whose magnitude and direction can be changed. We studied the degree of fiber alignment using this apparatus, producing several examples of microstructures.
-  K. Yamaguchi, T. Nakamoto, P. Abraha, Karyawan, and A. Ito, "Manufacturing of Micro Structures by Using UV Sensitive Photopolymer (3rd Report, Writing with a Focused Beam)," Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), Vol.61, No.581, pp. 304-310, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakamoto, K. Yamaguchi, P. Abraha, A. Ito, and K. Mishima, "Manufacturing of Micro Structures by Using UV Sensitive Photopolymer (4th Report, Manufacturing of 3-Dimensional Microstructures by Writing with a Focused Beam)," Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), Vol.62, No.594, pp. 677-682, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  S. Maruo and K. Ikuta, "Submicron Stereolithography for the Production of Freely Movable Mechanisms by using Single-photon Polymerization," Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.100, pp. 70-76, 2002.
-  H. Nishino, T. Miyoshi, Y. Takaya, S. Takahashi, T. Hayashi, and K. Kimura, "Study on Nonlaminate Micro-stereolithography using LCD Mask (2nd Report) - Thin Layer Laminating Fabrication using LCD Live-motion Mask -," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.69, No.10, pp. 1417-1422, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  D. Lee, T. Miyoshi, Y. Takaya, T. Ha, and T. Hayashi, "Study on LCD Micro Stereolithography using Ceramic Nanoparticles Reinforced Photosensitive Resin," Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.71, No.11, pp. 1415-1420, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kirihara, M. Takeda, K. Sakoda, and Y. Miyamoto, "Electromagnetic Wave Diffractions in Ceramic / Polymer Photonic Crystals with Three - Dimensional Diamond Structure," Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan, Vol.111, No.7, pp. 471-478, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  G. Zak, M. N. Sela, V. Vevko, C. B. Park, and B. Benhabib, "Layered Manufacturing of Fiber-Reinforced Composites," Transactions of the ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.121, pp. 448-456, 1999.
-  M. Haberer, G. Zak, C. B. Park, and B. Benhabib, "Design of a Slot - Coater Based Layered - Composites Manufacturing System," Transactions of the ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol.125, pp. 564-576, 2003.
-  T. Kawai and T. Kimura, "Magnetic Orientation of Isotactic Polypropylene," Polymer, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 155-159, 2000.
-  T. Kimura, T. Kawai, and Y. Sakamoto, "Magnetic Orientation of Poly (Ethylene Terephthalate)," Polymer, Vol.41, No.2, pp. 809-812, 2000.
-  T. Kawai, "Crystal Orientation of B-phase Isostatic Polypropylene Induced by Magnetic Orientation of N, N'-- dicyclohexyl - 2, 6 - naphthalenedicarboxamide," Polymer, Vol.43, No.26, pp. 7301-7306, 2002.
-  Y. Kaneko, S. Shimada, T. Fukuda, T. Kimura, H. Yokoi, H. Matsuda, T. Onodera, H. Kasai, S. Okada, H. Oikawa, and H. Nakanishi, "A Novel Method for Fixing the Anisotropic Orientation of Dispersed Organic Nanocrystals in a Magnetic Field," Advanced Materials, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 160-163, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.