Detection and Localization of Thin Vertical Board for UAV Perching
Takamasa Kominami, Hannibal Paul, and Kazuhiro Shimonomura
1-1-1 Nojihigashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
An autonomous vision-based landing system with a passively driven perching mechanism for a UAV is described in this paper. In our previous research, we developed a passively driven perching mechanism that can land on various shapes. The goal of this study was to achieve automatic perching on a thin vertical board using the passive mechanism. For autonomous perching, an RGB-D camera was used to detect and track a perching target and automatically control the flight of the UAV to the target position. The combination of RGB-D tracking system for thin vertical board and self-position estimation from another tracking camera mounted on the UAV enabled automatic perching. The results of the experiment using the passively driven perching mechanism and autonomous system verified that it is possible to land on objects such as road signs at heights, by using the integrated system for object detection and UAV control. In the experiment, the UAV was controlled to fly autonomously to the vicinity of the target and then perched on a 2 mm thick board.
-  D. Greer, P. McKerrow, and J. Abrantes, “Robots in urban search and rescue operations,” Australasian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 27-29, Auckland, 2002.
-  B. M. Pillai and J. Suthakorn, “Challenges for novice developers in rough terrain rescue robots: A survey on motion control systems,” J. of Control Science and Engineering, Vol.2019, Article No.2135914, 2019.
-  D. Erdos, A. Erdos, and S. E. Watkins, “An experimental UAV system for search and rescue challenge,” IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol.28, No.5, pp. 32-37, 2013.
-  M. Silvagni, A. Tonoli, E. Zenerino, and M. Chiaberge, “Multipurpose UAV for search and rescue operations in mountain avalanche events,” Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 18-33, 2017.
-  E. T. Alotaibi, S. S. Alqefari, and A. Koubaa, “LSAR: Multi-UAV Collaboration for Search and Rescue Missions,” IEEE Access, Vol.7, pp. 55817-55832, 2019.
-  Y. Yang, Z. Hu, K. Bian, and L. Song, “ImgSensingNet: UAV Vision Guided Aerial-Ground Air Quality Sensing System,” 2019 IEEE Conf. on Computer Communications (IEEE INFOCOM), pp. 1207-1215, 2019.
-  F. Yamazaki, K. Kubo, R. Tanabe, and W. Liu, “Damage assessment and 3d modeling by UAV flights after the 2016 Kumamoto, Japan earthquake,” 2017 IEEE Int. Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), pp. 3182-3185, 2017.
-  F. Ruggiero, V. Lippiello, and A. Ollero, “Aerial manipulation: A literature review,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 1957-1964, 2018.
-  T. W. Danko, K. P. Chaney, and P. Y. Oh, “A parallel manipulator for mobile manipulating UAVs,” 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications (TePRA), pp. 1-6, 2015.
-  A. Mohiuddin, T. Tarek, Y. Zweiri, and D. Gan, “A survey of single and multi-UAV aerial manipulation,” Unmanned Systems, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 119-147, 2020.
-  R. Ladig, H. Paul, R. Miyazaki, and K. Shimonomura, “Aerial Manipulation using Multirotor UAV: A Review from the Aspect of Operating Space and Force,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.33, No.2, pp. 196-204, 2021.
-  H. Paul, K. Ono, R. Ladig, and K. Shimonomura, “A Multirotor Platform Employing a Three-Axis Vertical Articulated Robotic Arm for Aerial Manipulation Tasks,” 2018 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), pp. 478-485, 2018.
-  T. Miki, P. Khrapchenkov, and K. Hori, “UAV/UGV Autonomous Cooperation: UAV assists UGV to climb a cliff by attaching a tether,” 2019 Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 8041-8047, 2019.
-  K. M. Popek, M. S. Johannes, K. C. Wolfe, R. A. Hegeman, J. M. Hatch, J. L. Moore, and R. J. Bamberger, “Autonomous Grasping Robotic Aerial System for Perching (AGRASP),” 2018 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 1-9, 2018.
-  W. R. T. Roderick, M. R. Cutkosky, and D. Lentink, “Bird-inspired dynamic grasping and perching in arboreal environments,” Science Robotics, Vol.6, No.61, 2021.
-  Z. Zhang, P. Xie, and O. Ma, “Bio-inspired trajectory generation for UAV perching,” 2013 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 997-1002, 2013.
-  M. Xu, T. Senoo, and T. Takaki, “An underactuated parallel-link gripper for a multicopter capable of plane perching,” ROBOMECH J., Vol.9, Article No.2, 2022.
-  T. Sato, T. Kominami, H. Paul, R. Miyazaki, R. Ladig, and K. Shimonomura, “Passive Perching and Landing Mechanism for Multirotor Flying Robot,” 2021 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), pp. 396-401, 2021.
-  D. F. Llorca, C. Salinas, M. Jimenez, I. Parra, A. G. Morcillo, R. Izquierdo, and M. A. Sotelo, “Two-camera based accurate vehicle speed measurement using average speed at a fixed point,” 2016 IEEE 19th Int. Conf. on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), pp. 2533-2538, 2016.
-  K. Kanistras, G. Martins, M. J. Rutherford, and K. P. Valavanis, “A survey of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for traffic monitoring,” 2013 Int. Conf. on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), pp. 221-234, 2013.
-  M. Ikura, L. Miyashita, and M. Ishikawa, “Stabilization system for uav landing on rough ground by adaptive 3d sensing and high-speed landing gear adjustment,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.33, No.1, pp. 108-118, 2021.
-  A. Cesetti, E. Frontoni, A. Mancini, P. Zingaretti, and S. Longhi, “A vision-based guidance system for UAV navigation and safe landing using natural landmarks,” J. of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol.57, No.1, pp. 233-257, 2010.
-  B. Ummenhofer and T. Brox, “Point-based 3D reconstruction of thin objects,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, pp. 969-976, 2013.
-  T. Kominami, P. Hannibal, R. Miyazaki, R. Ladig, and K. Shimonomura, “UAV Passive Perching Mechanism for Stable Landing on Flat or Vertical Pole,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 725-728, 2022.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.