Concept and Implementation of the Intuitive Controller MISORI-2: Development of a Robot Manual Controller Without Laptop and Game Controller
Keita Nakamura*, Junichi Yamazaki**, and Makoto Yashiro***
3-7-3-1 Nishioka, Toyohira-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 062-8520, Japan
128-8 Kitahata, Kashima, Kashima-ku, Minamisoma, Fukushima 979-2335, Japan
***The University of Aizu
Tsuruga, Ikki-machi, Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima 965-8580, Japan
To participate in the Standard Disaster Robotics Challenge in the Disaster Robotics Category at the World Robot Challenge in the World Robot Summit 2020 Fukushima Competition, we have developed a main-replica type controller using which anyone can easily control the disaster robot. The two student operators finished second in the competition despite having only five hours of practice time. In this study, we present the results of surveying the essential elements of a controller for disaster response robots, and introduce the controller that is designed and implemented based on the survey.
-  B. Yamauchi, “PackBot: A Versatile Platform for Military Robotics,” Unmanned Ground Vehicle Technology VI, Vol.5422, pp. 228-237, 2004.
-  K. Nagatani, S. Kiribayashi, Y. Okada, S. Tadokoro, T. Nishimura, T. Yoshida, E. Koyanagi, and Y. Hada, “Redesign of rescue mobile robot Quince,” 2011 IEEE Int. Symposium on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics, pp. 13-18, 2011.
-  K. Nakamura, K. Tohashi, Y. Funayama, H. Harasawa, and J. Ogawa, “Dual-arm robot teleoperation support with the virtual world,” Artificial Life and Robotics, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 286-293, 2020.
-  K. Toda, H. Yamato, M. Shimizu, T. Kodachi, T. Yoshida, T. Nishimura, and T. Furuta, “Camera Arm System for Disaster Response Robots (2nd Report: A Collision Protection Mechanism for Real-world Missions),” Int. Conf. on Design Engineering and Science, pp. 80-85, 2014.
-  R. Sato, M. Kamezaki, S. Sugano, and H. Iwata, “Gaze pattern analysis in multi-display systems for teleoperated disaster response robots,” 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 003534-003539, 2016.
-  M. Kamezaki, H. Ishii, T. Ishida, M. Seki, K. Ichiryu, Y. Kobayashi, K. Hashimoto, S. Sugano, A. Takanishi, M. G. Fujie, S. Hashimoto, and H. Yamakawa, “Design of four-arm four-crawler disaster response robot OCTOPUS,” 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2840-2845, 2016.
-  K. Qian, A. Song, J. Bao, and H. Zhang, “Small teleoperated robot for nuclear radiation and chemical leak detection,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol.9, No.3, Article No.70, 2012.
-  M. Chiou, G. T. Epsimos, G. Nikolaou, P. Pappas, G. Petousakis, S. Mühl, and R. Stolkin, “Robot-Assisted Nuclear Disaster Response: Report and Insights from a Field Exercise,” 2022 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4545-4552, 2022.
-  T. Sasaki, “Operability of Manual Robot for RobotContest,” Proc. of the 54th Japan Joint Automatic Control Conf., 1F203, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  J. Steuer, “Defining virtual reality: Dimensions determining telepresence,” J. of Communication, Vol.42, No.4, pp. 73-93, 1992.
-  Y. P. Su, X. Q. Chen, T. Zhou, C. Pretty, and G. Chase, “Mixed-Reality-Enhanced Human-Robot Interaction with an Imitation-Based Mapping Approach for Intuitive Teleoperation of a Robotic Arm-Hand System,” Applied Sciences, Vol.12, No.9, Article No.4740, 2022.
-  H. Hasunuma, H. Kagaya, M. Takatori, J. Fujimori, F. Mifune, S. Shikoda, M. Kobayashi, T. Itoko, and S. Tachi, “Development of Teleoperation Master System with a Kinesthetic Sensation of Presence,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Artificial reality and Telexistence, 1999.
-  H. Matsubara, S. Suzuki, and M. Okugawa, “Operability Evaluation of Robot Arm for Environmental Measurement by Using Master-Slave Control System,” Proc. of the 2014 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P2-G05, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nishimura, T. Koumura, S. Kiribayashi, and K. Nagatani, “Development of a teleoperation system for fine operation of mobile manipulators with joystick operation,” Proc. of the 2016 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2A1-17a1, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  S. Noda, S. Hirose, K. Ueda, H. Nakano, A. Horigome, and G. Endo, “Development of a mobile manipulator for nuclear plant disaster, HELIOS X (Mechanical design and basic experiments),” Trans. of the JSME, Vol.82, No.837, Article No.15-00494, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.