Development of a Flexible Assembly System for the World Robot Summit 2020 Assembly Challenge
Lizhou Xu*, Farshad Nozad Heravi*, Marcel Gabriel Lahoud*, Gabriele Marchello*, Mariapaola D’Imperio*, Syed Haider Jawad Abidi*, Mohammad Farajtabar**, Michele Martini*, Silvio Cocuzza***, Massimiliano Scaccia*, and Ferdinando Cannella*
*Industrial Robotics Facility, Italian Institute of Technology
30 Via Morego, Genova 16163, Italy
**Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Calgary
2500 University Dr NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4, Canada
***Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Padova
1 Via Venezia, Padova 35131, Italy
The assembly challenge of the World Robot Challenge (WRC) 2020, which was a part of the World Robot Summit (WRS) 2020, aimed to complete rapidly changing tasks in high mix/low volume production through building agile and lean production systems that can respond to one-off products. The authors of this paper participated in the challenge with the team PneuBot from the Industrial Robotics Facility of the Italian Institute of Technology by developing a flexible assembly system. The purpose of this work was to develop an assembly system able to handle variations of parts and tasks with a minimal changeover in hardware and software. In particular, assembly tasks were carried out, such as the assembly of a DC motor, pulleys, and a flexible belt on a plate, starting from pieces of unknown positions and orientations on a tray. The proposed work cell is light-weighted and can be fast deployed and replicated. It is composed of two Universal Robots; an RGB-D camera mounted on the wrist of the robot, able to detect both the position and orientation of the different objects to manage; a custom gripping system composed of 3D printed fingers for manipulation purposes and miniature force sensors for the grasping detection.
-  M. R. Pedersen, L. Nalpantidis, R. S. Andersen, C. Schou, S. Bøgh, V. Krüger, and O. Madsen, “Robot skills for manufacturing: From concept to industrial deployment,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.37, pp. 282-291, 2016.
-  S. J. Hu, J. Ko, L. Weyand, H. A. ElMaraghy, T. K. Lien, Y. Koren, H. Bley, G. Chryssolouris, N. Nasr, and M. Shpitalni, “Assembly system design and operations for product variety,” CIRP Annals, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 715-733, 2011.
-  G. Rosati, M. Faccio, A. Carli, and A. Rossi, “Fully flexible assembly systems (F-FAS): a new concept in flexible automation,” Assembly Automation, 2013.
-  G. Rosati, M. Faccio, L. Barbazza, and A. Rossi, “Hybrid flexible assembly systems (H-FAS): bridging the gap between traditional and fully flexible assembly systems,” The Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol.81, No.5, pp. 1289-1301, 2015.
-  K. Jackson, K. Efthymiou, and J. Borton, “Digital manufacturing and flexible assembly technologies for reconfigurable aerospace production systems,” Procedia CIRP, Vol.52, pp. 274-279, 2016.
-  E. Rauch, P. R. Spena, and D. T. Matt, “Axiomatic design guidelines for the design of flexible and agile manufacturing and assembly systems for SMEs,” Int. J. on Interactive Design and Manufacturing (IJIDeM), Vol.13, No.1, pp. 1-22, 2019.
-  A. Tirmizi, B. De Cat, K. Janssen, Y. Pane, P. Leconte, and M. Witters, “User-friendly programming of flexible assembly applications with collaborative robots,” 2019 20th Int. Conf. on Research and Education in Mechatronics (REM), pp. 1-7, 2019.
-  Y. Yamazaki, K. Sugito, and S. Tsuchiya, “Development of flexible manufacturing system,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.26, No.4, pp. 426-433, 2014
-  S. Makris, P. Tsarouchi, A. Matthaiakis, A. Athanasatos, X. Chatzigeorgiou, M. Stefos, K. Giavridis, and S. Aivaliotis, “Dual arm robot in cooperation with humans for flexible assembly,” CIRP Annals, Vol.66, No.1, pp. 13-16, 2017.
-  K. Nottensteiner, T. Bodenmueller, M. Kassecker, M. A. Roa, A. Stemmer, T. Stouraitis, D. Seidel, and U. Thomas, “A complete automated chain for flexible assembly using recognition, planning and sensor-based execution,” Proc. of 47st Int. Symposium on Robotics (ISR 2016), pp. 1-8, 2016.
-  K. Gilday, J. Hughes, and F. Iida, “Achieving flexible assembly using autonomous robotic systems,” 2018 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 1-9, 2018.
-  H. Xie and S. Régnier, “Development of a flexible robotic system for multiscale applications of micro/nanoscale manipulation and assembly,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 266-276, 2010.
-  A. Rossi, G. Rosati, S. Cenci, A. Carli, V. G. Riello, A. Foroni, M. Mantovani, and L. Zanotti, “Flexible assembly system for heat exchanger coils,” ETFA2011, pp. 1-8, 2011.
-  R. Haraguchi, Y. Domae, K. Shiratsuchi, Y. Kitaaki, H. Okuda, A. Noda, K. Sumi, T. Matsuno, S. Kaneko, and T. Fukuda, “Development of production robot system that can assemble products with cable and connector,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 939-950, 2011.
-  H. Alzarok, S. Fletcher, and A. P. Longstaff, “Survey of the current practices and challenges for vision systems in industrial robotic grasping and assembly applications,” Advances in Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 19-30, 2020.
-  P. Nerakae, P. Uangpairoj, and K. Chamniprasart, “Using machine vision for flexible automatic assembly system,” Procedia Computer Science, Vol.96, pp. 428-435, 2016.
-  A. Mishra, I. A. Sainul, S. Deb, D. Sen, and A. K. Deb, “Development of a flexible assembly system using industrial robot with machine vision guidance and dexterous multi-finger gripper,” Precision Product-Process Design and Optimization, pp. 31-71, 2018.
-  P. S. Ogun, Z. Usman, K. Dharmaraj, and M. Jackson, “3d vision assisted flexible robotic assembly of machine components,” Eighth Int. Conf. on Machine Vision (ICMV 2015), Vol.9875, pp. 98751O-1-98751O-7, Int. Society for Optics and Photonics, 2015.
-  Y. Domae et al., “3-D Sensing for Flexible Linear Object Alignment in Robot Cell Production System,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.22, No.1, pp. 100-111 2010.
-  F. Suárez-Ruiz and Q. C. Pham, “A framework for fine robotic assembly,” 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 421-426, 2016.
-  J. Watson, A. Miller, and N. Correll, “Autonomous industrial assembly using force, torque, and RGB-D sensing,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.34, No.7-8, pp. 546-559, 2020.
-  T. Tang, H. C. Lin, Y. Zhao, W. Chen, and M. Tomizuka, “Autonomous alignment of peg and hole by force/torque measurement for robotic assembly,” 2016 IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE), pp. 162-167, 2016.
-  K. Zhang, M. Shi, J. Xu, F. Liu, and K. Chen, “Force control for a rigid dual peg-in-hole assembly,” Assembly Automation, 2017.
-  A. Wahrburg, S. Zeiss, B. Matthias, and H. Ding, “Contact force estimation for robotic assembly using motor torques,” 2014 IEEE Int. Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE), pp. 1252-1257, 2014.
-  A. Stolt, M. Linderoth, A. Robertsson, and R. Johansson, “Force controlled robotic assembly without a force sensor,” 2012 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 1538-1543, 2012.
-  K. Harada, K. Nagata, J. Rojas, I. G. Ramirez-Alpizar, W. Wan, H. Onda, and T. Tsuji, “Proposal of a shape adaptive gripper for robotic assembly tasks,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.39, No.17-18, pp. 1186-1198, 2016.
-  Y. J. Kim, H. Song, and C. Y. Maeng, “BLT gripper: An adaptive gripper with active transition capability between precise pinch and compliant grasp,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 5518-5525, 2020.
-  A. Pagoli, F. Chapelle, J. A. Corrales, Y. Mezouar, and Y. Lapusta, “A soft robotic gripper with an active palm and reconfigurable fingers for fully dexterous in-hand manipulation,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 7706-7713, 2021.
-  N. Elangovan, L. Gerez, G. Gao, and M. Liarokapis, “Improving robotic manipulation without sacrificing grasping efficiency: a multi-modal, adaptive gripper with reconfigurable finger bases,” IEEE Access, Vol.9, pp. 83298-83308, 2021.
-  S. Cocuzza, R. Fornasiero, and S. Debei, “Novel automated production system for the footwear industry,” IFIP Int. Conf. on Advances in Production Management Systems, pp. 542-549, 2012.
-  S. Cocuzza and X. T. Yan, “First engineering framework for the out-of-plane robotic shaping of thin rheological objects,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Vol.53, pp. 108-121, 2018.
-  J. Su, C. Liu, and R. Li, “Robot Precision Assembly Combining With Passive and Active Compliant Motions,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.69, No.8, pp. 8157-8167, 2021.
-  F. Zeng, J. Xiao, and H. Liu, “Force/torque sensorless compliant control strategy for assembly tasks using a 6-DOF collaborative robot,” IEEE Access, Vol.7, pp. 108795-108805, 2019.
-  Y. Yokokohji, Y. Kawai, M. Shibata, Y. Aiyama, S. Kotosaka, W. Uemura, A. Noda, H. Dobashi, T. Sakaguchi, and K. Yokoi, “Assembly Challenge: a robot competition of the Industrial Robotics Category, World Robot Summit – summary of the pre-competition in 2018,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.33, No.17, pp. 876-899, 2019.
-  J. Redmon, “Darknet: Open source neural networks in c,” 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.