Development of the Second Prototype of an Oral Care Simulator
Tomomi Daigo*, Masumi Muramatsu**, and Atsushi Mitani***
*Daigo Tomomi Works
1341-4-105 Tanida-cho, Ikoma, Nara 630-0251, Japan
**School of Nursing, Sapporo City University
Nishi 13, Kita 11, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060-0011, Japan
***School of Design, Sapporo City University
1 Geijyutsu-no-mori, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido 005-0864, Japan
Oral care is crucial to preventing diseases and maintaining the quality of life of elderly people. To create an effective training environment for nursing students, we developed a second prototype of an oral care simulator that can guide and record oral care practices. The simulator has three components: (1) a dentition model with pressure sensors, (2) a microcomputer to record signals, and (3) software for visualization. We proposed a novel mechanism to detect brushing behavior using pressure sensors and developed software to visualize the records of oral care practice. We calibrated the system to estimate the weights applied in the dentition model using a brush and verified that the calibration increased the accuracy of the estimation.
-  M. Yamaya, M. Yanai, T. Ohrui, H. Arai, and H. Sasaki, “Interventions to prevent pneumonia among older adults,” J. of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.49, Issue 1, pp. 85-90, doi: 10.1046/j.1532-5415.2001.49015.x, 2001.
-  T. Yoneyama, M. Yoshida, T. Ohrui, H. Mukaiyama, H. Okamoto, K. Hoshiba, S. Ihara, S. Yanagisawa, S. Ariumi, T. Morita, Y. Mizuno, T. Ohsawa, Y. Akagawa, K. Hashimoto, and H. Sasaki, “Oral care reduces pneumonia in older patients in nursing homes,” J. of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.50, Issue 3, pp. 430-433, doi: 10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50106.x, 2002.
-  M. Furuta and Y. Yamashita, “Oral Health and Swallowing Problems,” Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports, Vol.1, No.4, pp. 216-222, doi: 10.1007/s40141-013-0026-x, 2013.
-  S. Haresaku, M. Monji, M. Miyoshi, K. Kubota, M. Kuroki, H. Aoki, R. Yoshida, K. Machishima, M. Makino, and T. Naito, “Factors associated with a positive willingness to practise oral health care in the future amongst oral healthcare and nursing students,” European J. of Dental Education, Vol.22, No.3, pp. e634-e643, doi: 10.1111/eje.12369, 2018.
-  J. Kim, J.-H. Park, and S. Shin, “Effectiveness of simulation-based nursing education depending on fidelity: a meta-analysis,” BMC Med. Educ., Vol.16, Article No.152, doi: 10.1186/s12909-016-0672-7, 2016.
-  T. Levett-Jones and S. Lapkin, “A systematic review of the effectiveness of simulation debriefing in health professional education,” Nurse Education Today, Vol.34, Issue 6, pp. e58-e63, doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2013.09.020, 2014.
-  M. M. Jansson, H. P. Syrjälä, P. P. Ohtonen, M. H. Meriläinen, H. A. Kyngäs, and T. I. Ala-Kokko, “Effects of simulation education on oral care practices a randomized controlled trial,” Nurs. Crit. Care, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 161-168, doi: 10.1111/nicc.12276, 2017.
-  A. Mitani, T. Daigou, and M. Muramatsu, “Development of first prototype of oral care simulator and its software to record oral care procedure,” J. of Nursing Science and Engineering, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 58-66, doi: 10.24462/jnse.4.1_58, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Murakami, Y. Ohno, M. Nishimura, M. Kido, and K. Yamada, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of a Vascular Access Imaging Device Used in Training Recently Graduated Nurses,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.29, No.2, pp. 346-352, doi: 10.20965/jrm.2017.p0346, 2017.
-  S. Komizunai, S. Ninomiya, A. Konno, S. Kanai, T. Asaka, E. Murata, H. Mani, N. Takahashi, and N. Colley, “An Interactive Endotracheal Suctioning Simulator Which Exhibits Vital Reactions: ESTE-SIM,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.4, pp. 490-498, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2019.p0490, 2019.
-  E. Kröger, M. Dekiff, and D. Dirksen, “3D printed simulation models based on real patient situations for hands-on practice,” European J. of Dental Education, Vol.21, Issue 4, pp. e119-e125, doi: 10.1111/eje.12229, 2016.
-  M. Reymus, C. Fotiadou, A. Kessler, K. Heck, R. Hickel, and C. Diegritz, “3D printed replicas for endodontic education,” Int. Endodontic J., Vol.52, Issue 1, pp. 123-130, doi: 10.1111/iej.12964, 2019.
-  N. Schlueter, K. Winterfeld, V. Quera, T. Winterfeld, and C. Ganss, “Toothbrushing Systematics Index (TSI) – A new tool for quantifying systematics in toothbrushing behavior,” PLoS One, Vol.13, No.4, e0196497, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0196497, 2018.
-  J. M. Padilha, P. P. Machado, A. L. Ribeiro, and J. L. Ramos, “Clinical Virtual Simulation in Nursing Education,” Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.15, pp. 13-18, doi: 10.1016/j.ecns.2017.09.005, 2018.
-  C. M. Harrington, D. O. Kavanagh, J. F. Quinlan, D. Ryan, P. Dicker, D. O’Keeffe, O. Traynor, and S. Tierney, “Development and evaluation of a trauma decision-making simulator in Oculus virtual reality,” American J. of Surgery, Vol.215, No.1, pp. 42-47, doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.02.011, 2020.
-  E. Keys, M. Luctkar-Flude, J. Tyerman, K. Sears, and K. Woo, “Developing a Virtual Simulation Game for Nursing Resuscitation Education,” Clinical Simulation in Nursing, Vol.39, pp. 51-54, doi: 10.1016/j.ecns.2019.10.009, 2020.
-  A. Mitani and M. Muramatsu, “Development of Human Tongue Model for Mealtime Assistant Training Using Oral Care Simulation Model,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.13, No.4, pp. 499-505, doi: 10.20965/ijat.2019.p0499, 2019.
-  M. Hanasaki, K. Nakakura-Ohshima, T. Nakajima, Y. Nogami, and H. Hayasaki, “Gender difference of tooth brushing motion and force on self-brushing and caregivers’ brushing in dental professionals,” Dent. Oral Craniofac. Res., Vol.4, No.4, pp. 1-7, doi: 10.15761/DOCR.1000258, 2018.
-  H. Huang and S. Lin, “Toothbrushing Monitoring using Wrist Watch,” Proc. of the 14th ACM Conf. on Embedded Network Sensor Systems CD-ROM, pp. 202-215, doi: 10.1145/2994551.2994563, 2016.
-  R. G. Ledder, J. Latimer, S. Forbes, J. L. Penney, P. K. Sreenivasan, and A. J. McBain, “Visualization and Quantification of the Oral Hygiene Effects of Brushing, Dentifrice Use, and Brush Wear Using a Tooth Brushing Simulator,” Front. Public Health, Vol.7, Article No.91, doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2019.00091, 2019.
-  M. Mencattelli, E. Donati, M. Cultrone, and C. Stefanini, “Novel universal system for 3-dimensional orthodontic force-moment measurements and its clinical use,” American J. of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Vol.148, Issue 1, pp. 174-183, doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2015.01.028, 2015.
-  Y. Midorikawa, H. Takemura, H. Mizoguchi, K. Soga, M. Kamimura, K. Suga, W. Lai, Z. Kanno, and M. Uo, “Six-axis orthodontic force and moment sensing system for dentist technique training,” Proc. of the 38th Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Vol.2016, Article No.7591167, pp. 2206-2209, doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2016.7591167, 2016.
-  N. Hashimoto, H. Kato, and K. Matsui, “Evaluation and Teaching System for Tooth Scaling Skill based on Force during Operation,” The Trans. of Human Interface Society, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 469-476, doi: 10.11184/his.15.4_469, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  B. Herath, G. H. S. Dewmin, S. Sukumaran, Y. W. R. Amarasinghe, A. H. T. E. De Silva, A. Mitani, D. Wijethunge, and W. H. P. Sampath, “Design and Development of a Novel Oral Care Simulator for the Training of Nurses,” IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.67, No.5, pp. 1314-1320, doi: 10.1109/TBME.2019.2936050, 2020.
-  K. Teranishi and S. Yamaguchi, “A dental hygienist clinical visual handbook that can be used in daily clinical and team medical care,” pp. 100-104, Quintessence Publishing Co., Ltd., 2010 (in Japanese).
-  M. Muramatsu, “Basic oral care techniques to be utilized in oral care protocols,” The Japanese J. of Nursing Arts, Vol.58, No.1, 2012 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.