Proposal of Non-Rotating Joint Drive Type Power Assist Suit for Lower Limbs Considering Squat Lifting
Hirokazu Arakawa*, Shun Mohri*, Yasuyuki Yamada*, Kazuya Yokoyama**, Isao Kikutani**, and Taro Nakamura*
*Department of Precision Mechanics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Chuo University
1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
JA Kyosai Bldg., 2-7-9 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
Lower back pain is a major health concern worldwide. One cause of lower back pain is the burden on the lumbar region caused by handling heavy objects. The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan has recommended “squat lifting” to reduce this burden. However, this technique, which supports a large force on the lower limbs, is not very popular. Therefore, we aim to develop a power assist suit for squat lifting and propose herein a gastrocnemius-reinforcing mechanism. We also discuss the joint torque estimation from a motion analysis of squat lifting to construct a prototype. Finally, we describe the performance of the prototype when mounted on a human body. We found that when using the prototype assist suit, the %MVC (maximum voluntary contraction) of the gastrocnemius while performing squat lifting reduced by 48% compared to the value obtained without using the suit.
-  D. A. Neuman, “Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System,” St. Luis: Mosby, 2006.
-  N. Hiramitsu, Y. Naruoka, and Y. Mitsuya, “Power assist technology to reduce the body burden during loading and unloading operations by the support of the knee joint motion,” Proc. JSME Conf. Robotics and Mechanics, 1A1-Q03, 2015.
-  Y. Sankai, “Hal: Hybrid assistive limb based on cybernics,” Robotics Research: The 13th Int. Symp. of Robotics Research (ISRR), pp. 25-34, 2011.
-  P. D. Neuhaus, J. H. Noorden, T. J. Craig, T. Torres, J. Kirschbaum, and J. E. Pratt, “Design and evaluation of mina: A robotic orthosis for paraplegic,” Proc. 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 1-8, 2011.
-  N. Costa, M. Bezdicek, J. O. Gray, and D. G. Caldwell, “Joint motion control of a powered lower limb orthosis for rehabilitation,” Int. J. Autom. Comput., Vol.3, pp. 271-281, 2006.
-  M. Sato, E. Yagi, and K. Sano, “Power Assist Control Calculated by a Human Model and Joint Angles for Walking Motion Using Pneumatic Actuators,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.6, pp. 915-922, 2013.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Norirsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of High Contractile Pneumatic Artificial Rubber Muscle for Power Assist Device,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.24, No.1, pp. 150-157, 2012.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of pneumatic lower limb power assist wear without exoskeleton,” Proc. 2012 IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1239-1244, 2012.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of pneumatic lower limb power assist wear with wearable air supply system,” Proc. 2012 IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4440-4445, 2012.
-  M. Wehner, B. Quinlivan, P. M. Aubin, E. Martinez-Villalpando, M. Baumann, L. Stirling, K. Holt, R. Wood, and C. Walsh, “A lightweight soft exosuit for gait assistance,” Proc. 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robotic Automation and Systems, pp. 3362-3369, 2013.
-  T. Kikuchi, K. Sakai, and I. Abe, “Development of bio-inspired knee joint for power assist suit & evaluation of its basic performance,” Proc. JSME Conf. Robotics and Mechanics, 1P1-02a2, 2016.
-  T. Nakamura, N. Saga, and K. Yaegashi, “Development of pneumatic artificial muscle based on biomechanical characteristics,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 729-734, 2003.
-  T. Nakamura and H. Shinohara, “Position and force control based on mathematical models of pneumatic artificial muscles reinforced by straight glass fibers,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4361-4366, 2007.
-  T. Nakamura, “Experimental comparisons between McKibben type artificial muscles and straight fibers type artificial muscles,” SPIE Int. Conf. on Smart Structures, Devices and Systems III, 2006.
-  H. Tomori and T. Nakamura, “Theoretical comparison of McKibben-type artificial muscle and novel straight-fiber-type artificial muscle,” Int. J. Automation Technol., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 544-550, 2011.
-  H. Inose, T. Nakamura, Y. Kazuya, H. Imamura, and I. Kikutani, “Development of an endoskeleton type power assist suit using pneumatic artificial muscles with amplification mechanism,” Proc. 41st Ann. Conf. IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON), pp. 004708-004713, 2015.
-  M. Okui, Y. Nagura, S. Iikawa, Y. Yamada, and T. Nakamura, “Evaluation of air compressing method aimed for development of portable pneumatic power source,” Proc. JSME Conf. Robotics and Mechanics, 2P1-D02, 2017.
-  M. Okui, Y. Nagura, Y. Yamada, and T. Nakamura, “Hybrid Pneumatic Source Based on Evaluation of Air Compression Methods for Portability,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 819-826, 2018.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.