Development of Collision Avoidance System in Right Turn Maneuver Using Vehicle-in-the-Loop Simulation
Pongsathorn Raksincharoensak* and Yuta Akamatsu**
*Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Naka-cho Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
**Department of Industrial Technology and Innovation, Faculty of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Naka-cho Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
Collisions in Japan between vehicles during right turns account for a high number of other intersection accidents. We present collision avoidance that introduces speed control assistance combined with autonomous emergency braking when vehicles approach and a collision becomes imminent. Our proposal uses on-board sensors such as radar and cameras to handle situations without depending on X2X communication and infrastructure. We also propose a speed control algorithm. A “vehicle-in-the-loop test” involving a virtual test drive for rapid system development verifies the effectiveness of our proposals.
-  Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis (ITARDA), “Right turn traffic accidents in signalized Intersection,” ITARDA Information, No.95, p. 4, 2012.
-  Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis (ITARDA), “Traffic accident status and Human factorial experiment in signalized intersections,” Abridgement research report, pp. 6-13, 2012.
-  H. Fujita, M. Shino, M. Kamata, M. Nagai, and K. Moro, “Analysis of driving behavior based on Near-Miss Incident while Crossing Signalized Intersection,” Proc. of JSAE Annual Congress, No.98-10, pp. 17-20, 2010.
-  K. Mori, M. Honma, and T. Saito, “Modeling of Gap Acceptance of Right-Turning Vehicles at Signalized Intersections,” Proc. of Japan society of civil engineers, No.13, pp. 901-906, 1996.
-  H. Ueno, K. Maeda, and K. Ochiai, “Analysis of Driving Behavior in Right Turns,” J. of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol.46, No.9, pp. 41-45, 1992.
-  M. Hiramatsu, T. Sunda, G. Abe, T. Tagawa, and N. Uchida, “A Study of a Method for Quantifying Driver’s Near-miss Risk in Right Turns at Intersections,” Proc. of JSAE Annual Congress, No.59-14, pp. 7-12, 2014.
-  G. Abe, T. Tagawa, N. Uchida, M. Hiramatsu, and T. Sunda, “Relationship between driver behavior and collision avoidance characteristics while turning to the right at an intersection,” Proc. of JSAE Annual Congress, No.59-14, pp. 1-6, 2014.
-  S. Nakamura, H. Suganuma, K. Kikuchi, and R. Homma, “Effect Evaluation of Vehicle-Infrastructure Cooperative Right-Turn Collision Prevention System,” Proc. of JSAE Annual Congress, No.49-14, pp. 23-28, 2014.
-  K. Nobukawa, M. Barnes, R. Goodsell, and T. Gordon, “Reconstruction of Vehicle Trajectories for Intersection Analysis Using Vehicle-Based Sensors,” Proc. of the 21st Int. Symposium on Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and Tracks, No.14, 2009.
-  T. Yonekawa, K. Sasaki, and K. Iwazaki, “Driving Behavior Analysis of Elderly Drivers Passing Through Stop Sign Intersection Using Driving Simulator,” Proc. of the 2nd Int. symposium on future active safety technology toward zero-traffic accidents (FAST-zero’13), pp. 1-8, 2013.
-  T. Unselt and M. Fehring, “Intersection Accidents: an integrated safety approach,” ATZ autotechnology, Vol.8, Issue 8, pp. 34-37, 2008.
-  S. Klingelschmitt, F. Damerow, and J. Eggert, “Managing the Complexity of Inner-City Scenes: An Effective Situation Hypotheses Selection Scheme,” Proc. of IEEE Intelligent Vehicle symposium (IV 2015), pp. 1232-1239, 2015.
-  J. A. Misener, “Cooperative Intersection Collision Avoidance System (CICAS): Signalized Left Turn Assist and Traffic Signal Adaptation,” PATH Research Report, pp. 1-245, 2010.
-  W. G. Najm, J. A. Koopmann, and D. L. Smith, “Analysis of Crossing Path Crash Countermeasure Systems,” Proc. of 17th Int. Technical Conf. on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Conf., No.378, pp. 1-9, 2001.
-  R. Matsumi, P. Raksincharoensak, and M. Nagai, “Development of Autonomous Intelligent Driving System to Enhance Safe and Secured Traffic Society for Elderly Drivers,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 966-972, 2013.
-  P. Raksincharoensak, Y. Akamatsu, K. Moro, and M. Nagai, “Driver Speed Control Modeling for Predictive Braking Assistance System Based on Risk Potential in Intersections,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.26, No.5, pp. 628-637, 2014.
-  T. Ito, M. Mio, K. Tohriyama, and M. Kamata, “Novel map platform based on primitive elements of traffic environments for automated driving technologies,” Proc. of 3rd Int. symposium on future active safety technology towards zero-traffic accidents (FAST-zero), pp. 361-368, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.