Development of a Robust Path-Planning Algorithm Using Virtual Obstacles for an Autonomous Mobile Robot
Kentaro Ueno, Tetsuo Kinoshita, Kazuyuki Kobayashi, and Kajiro Watanabe
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Hosei University
3-7-2 Kajino-cho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8584, Japan
Proposed path-planning result
In this paper, we describe the development of a robust path planning algorithm for an autonomous mobile robot. In order to achieve safe navigation in areas with moving obstacles, the mobile robot has to be controlled by a dynamic path-planning algorithm to avoid collisions. However, depending on changes in obstacle positions, the dynamic path planning algorithm frequently faces path-switching problems. In order to avoid the path-switching problems in the dynamic path planning algorithm, we introduce a virtual obstacle assignment method to suppress events caused by the path-switching problems. The effectiveness of proposed method is proved by an actual mobile robot. The validity of proposed method is confirmed by both simulations and actual outdoor experiments.
-  S. Yuta, “An open experiment of mobile robot autonomous navigation at the pedestrian streets in the city Tsukuba Challenge,” IEEE Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 904-909, 2011.
-  P. E. Hart, N. J. Nilsson, and B. Raphael, “A formal basis for the heuristic determination of minimum cost paths,” IEEE Trans. on SSC, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 100-107, 1968.
-  S. M. LaValle, “Planning algorithms,” Cambridge university press, 2006.
-  D. H. Kim and S. Shin, “Local path planning using a new artificial potential function configuration and its analytical design guidelines,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 115-135, 2006.
-  T. Yamakawa, “Development of path planning algorithm using potential field based on two fixed-angle laser scanners,” SICE Annual Conf., pp. 892-895, Aug. 18-21, 2010.
-  E. Rimon and D. E. Koditschek, “Exact robot navigation using artificial potential functions,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 501-518, 1992.
-  H. Yokoi, T. Mizuno, M. Takita, and Y. Kakazu, “Obstacle Avoidance Using Vibrating Potential Method (Self-Organization in a Narrow Path),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 356-363, 1996.
-  L. Yin and Y. Yin, “An improved potential field method for mobile robot path planning in dynamic environments,” 7th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation 2008 (WCICA 2008), pp. 4847-4852, 2008.
-  M. Uchida, S. Yokoyama, and H. Ide, “Development of Autonomous Mobile Robot for Obstacle Avoidance,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.5, No.5, pp. 481-486, 1993.
-  M. Uchida and H. Ide, “Path Planning by SPM Method for Autonomous Robot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 55-57, 1994.
-  N. Sariff and N. Buniyamin, “An Overview of Autonomous Mobile Robot Path Planning Algorithms,” 4th Student Conf. on Research and Development 2006 (SCOReD 2006), pp. 183-188, 2006.
-  M. Kitamura, Y. Yasuoka, T. Suzuki, Y. Amano, and T. Hashizume, “Path Planning for Autonomous Vehicles Using QZSS and Satellite Visibility Map,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 400-407, 2013.
-  J. Ilari and C. Torras, “2D Path Planning: A Configuration Space Heuristic Approach,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 75-91, 1990.
-  M. Seder and I. Petrovic, “Dynamic window based approach to mobile robot motion control in the presence of moving obstacles,” ICRA, Vol.7, pp. 1986-1991, 2007.
-  M. Zulkifli, “Autonomous ground vehicle design,integration and control for the IGVC Competition,” IEEE Mechatronics and its Applications, Vol.1, No.6, 2012.
-  K. Takahashi, “Development of laser range finder-implemented JAUS-compliant local pose component,” SICE Annual Conf., pp. 634-639, Aug. 20-23, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.