Development of Automatic Steering System by Modeling Human Behavior Based on Optical Flow
Yuki Okafuji*, Takanori Fukao*, and Hiroshi Inou**
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kobe University
1-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo 657-8501, Japan
1-1 Showa-cho, Kariya-shi, Aichi 448-8661, Japan
-  K. Yoshimoto, “Simulation of man-automobile system by the driver’s steering model with predictability,” Bulletin of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.12, No.51, pp. 495-500, 1969.
-  H. Inou and T. Fukao, “Modeling of driver steering operation based on optical flow,” Proc. of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, pp. 1-6, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kanade and T. Matsui, “Human, the weakest link,” J. of The Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 550-556, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  . J. Gibson, “The Perception of the Visual World,” Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1950.
-  W. H. Warren and D. J. Hannon, “Direction of self-motion is perceived from optical flow,” Nature, Vol.336, No.162-163, 1988.
-  W. H. Warren and D. J. Hannon, “Eye movements and optical flow,” J. of the Optical Society of America, Vol.A7, pp. 160-169, 1992.
-  C. S. Royden, J. A. Crowel, and M. S. Bank, “Estimating heading during eye movements,” Vision Research, Vol.34, No.23, pp. 3197-3214, 1992
-  S. K. Rushton, J. M. Harris, M. R. Lloyd, and J. P. Wann, “Guidance of locomotion on foot uses perceived target location rather than optic flow,” Current Biology, Vol.8, No.21, pp. 1191-1194, 1998.
-  J. P. Wann and M. F. Land, “Steering with or without the flow: is the retrieval of heading necessary?,” Trends in Cognitive Sciences, Vol.4, No.8, pp. 319-324, 2000.
-  R. M. Wilkie and J. P. Wann, “Controlling steering and judging heading: retinal flow, visual direction, and extraretinal information,” J. of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 363-378, 2003.
-  J. P. Wann and M. F. Land, “How do we control high speed steering?,” Optic Flow and Beyond, Vol.324, pp. 401-419, 2004.
-  C. S. Royden, “Analysis of misperceived observer motion during simulated eye rotations,” Vision Research, Vol.34, No.23, pp. 3215-3222, 1994.
-  W. H. Warren, D. R. Mestre, A. W. Blackwell, and M. W. Morris, “Perception of circular heading from optical flow,” J. of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 28-43, 1991.
-  M. F. Land, “Does steering a car involve perception of the velocity flow field?,” in Motion Vision, Springer, Berlin, pp. 227-235, 2001.
-  W. H. Warren, B. A. Kay, W. D. Duchon, and S. Sahuc, “Optic flow used to control human walking,” Nature Neuroscience, Vol.4, pp. 213-216, 2001.
-  R. M. Wilkie and J. P. Wann, “Eye-movements aid the control of locomotion,” J. of Vision, Vol.3, pp. 677-684, 2003.
-  R. M. Wilkie and J. P. Wann, “Judgements of path, not heading, guide locomotion,” J. of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, Vol.32, No.1, pp. 88-96, 2006.
-  M. F. Land and D. N. Lee, “Where we look when we steer,” Nature, Vol.369, pp. 742-744, 1994.
-  M. F. Land and B. W. Tatler, “The visual strategy of a racing driver,” Current Biology, Vol.11, No.15, pp. 1215-1220, 2001.
-  O. Lappi and E. Lehtonen, “Eye-movements in real curve driving: pursuit-like optokinesis in vehicle frame of reference, stability in an allocentric reference coordinate system,” J. of Eye Movement Research, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 1-13, 2013.
-  H. Inou, T. Fukao, S. Totsuka, and Y. Okafuji, “Development of automatic steering control system based on optical flow model,” Int. Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, 2014.
-  E. Malis, “Survey of vision-based control,” In ENSIETA European Naval Ship Design Short Course, 2002.
-  F. Chaumette and S. Hutchinson, “Visual servo control I: Basic approaches,” Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 82-90, 2006.
-  W. E. Green, P. Y. Oh, and G. Barrows, “Flying insect inspired vision for autonomous aerial robot maneuvers in near-earth environments,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.3, pp. 2347-235, 2004. [questa] P. Questa, E. Grossmann, and G. Sandini, “Camera self orientation and docking maneuver using normal flow,” SPIE’s 1995 Symposium on OE/Aerospace Sensing and Dual Use Photonics, pp. 274-283, 1995.
-  R. N. Jazar, “Vehicle Dynamics: Theory and Application,” Springer, Berlin, 2009.
-  G. Farneback, “Two-frame motion estimation based on polynomial expansion,” Scandinavian Conf. on Image Analysis, 2000.
-  C. C. Macadam, “Understanding and modeling the human driver,” Vehicle Systems Dynamics, Vol.40, No.1-3, pp. 101-134, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.