Design and Control of a Human-Operated Biped Robot for Transportation of Objects
Naoki Uchiyama, Dai Kurita, and Shigenori Sano
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Toyohashi University of Technology, 1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
Human-operated biped robot
Object transportation is a basic task for which mechanical systems provide support. Examples of the many types of mobile devices developed thus far are handcarts, unmanned autonomous vehicles, forklifts and turret trucks. Most such vehicles are based on wheeled mobile mechanisms, which would be difficult to use for moving objects in areas with high steps. A walking mobile mechanism, in contrast, enables steps to be ascended and descended, so it is expected that walking mechanisms could support object transportation in environments with stairs or steps. In this paper, we present a biped robot that supports object transportation involving stairs instead of human operators doing so. We start with the design of a biped robot with four actuators for one each for the hips and knees of each leg. Dynamics of the biped robot is then derived for simulation in which force applied by a human operator and a reaction from the ground are considered. A controller is presented for transporting objects up stairs having an unknown step height. Experimental results and photos confirm that the developed system successfully climbs the stairs of unknown height during human operation.
-  S. Ikeda, “The Robot Research and Development of the Taking a Lesson from the Past,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.29, No.6, pp. 506-507, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  A. Sano, S. Tamegai, K. Iwatsuki, N. Ota, Y. Ikemata, and H. Fujimoto, “Development of Multi-role Bipedal Walker Based on Human-assisted Passive Walking (1): Legged Transport, Walkassist, and WalkerTrial,” Proc. Robotics and Mechatronics Conf., JSME, 1A2-A12(2), 2010 (in Japanese).
-  S. Nakajima and E. Nakano, “Adaptive Gait for Large Rough Terrain of a Leg-wheel Robot: 2nd Report, Gait for an Upward Step,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.72, No.721, pp. 2932-2939, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hashimoto, Y. Sugahara, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “New Biped Foot System Adaptable to Uneven Terrain,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 271-277, 2006.
-  K. Hashimoto, Y. Sugahara, M. Kawase, A. Hayashi, C. Tanaka, A. Ohta et al., “Realization of Outdoor Human-carrying Biped Walking by Landing Pattern Modification Method,” The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 851-859, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Takuma and K. Hosoda, “Terrain Negotiation of a Compliant Biped Robot Driven by Antagonistic Artificial Muscles,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.4, pp. 423-428, 2007.
-  K. Harada, M. Morisawa, S. Nakaoka, K. Kaneko, and S. Kajita, “Kinodynamic Planning for Humanoid Robots Walking on Uneven Terrain,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 311-316, 2009.
-  E. Ohashi, T. Sato, and K. Ohnishi, “A Walking Stabilization Method Based on Environmental Modes on Each Foot for Biped Robot,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.56, No.10, pp. 3964-3974, 2009.
-  K Hyodo, T. Oshimura, S. Mikami, and S. Suzuki, “Stabilizing Passive Dynamic Walk Under Wide Range of Environments by Constraint Mechanism Fitted to Sole of Foot,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 403-411, 2009.
-  K. Hyodo, S. Mikami, and S. Suzuki, “Outdoor Environments Walking by Biped Passive DynamicWalker with Constraint Mechanism,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 363-370, 2010.
-  T. Yokomichi and N. Ushimi, “A Study of the Sole Mechanism of Biped Robots to Rough Terrain Locomotion,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 902-907, 2012.
-  T. Aoyama, K. Sekiyama, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “PDACBased 3-D BipedWalking Adapted to Rough Terrain Environment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 37-46, 2012.
-  N. Motoi, K. Sasahara, and A. Kawamura, “Switching Control Method for Stable Landing by Legged Robot Based on Zero Moment Point,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 831-839, 2013.
-  S. Sano, M. Yamada, N. Uchiyama, and S. Takagi, “Point-contact type foot with springs and posture control for biped walking on rough terrain,” Proc. IEEEWorkshop on Advanced Motion Control, pp. 480-485, 2008.
-  M. Yamada, H. Maie, Y. Maeno, S. Sano, and N. Uchiyama, “Design of point-contact type foot with springs for biped robot,” Proc. IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 806-811, 2010.
-  I. Shimoyama, “DynamicalWalk of Stilts Type Biped Locomotion,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.48, No.433, pp. 1445-1454, 1982 (in Japanese).
-  I. Shimoyama, H. Miura, and M. Mitsuishi, “Study on Dynamical Walk of Biped Locomotion BIPER-4,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.49, No.444, pp. 1372-1381, 1983 (in Japanese).