Trends of Robot Therapy with Neurological Therapeutic Seal Robot, PARO
Takanori Shibata*,**,*** and Joseph F. Coughlin**
*Human Technology Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), 1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8566, Japan
**The AgeLab., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave, E40-279, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
***Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
-  S. Carda, M. Invernizzi, A. Baricich, C. Comi, A. Croquelois, and C. Cisari, “Robotic gait training is not superior to conventional treadmill training in Parkinson disease: a single-blind randomized controlled trial,” Neurorehabilitation and neural repair, Vol.26, No.9, pp. 1027-1034, 2012.
-  J. Fasola, and M. Matarić, “A socially assistive robot exercise coach for the elderly,” J. of Human-Robot Interaction, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 3-32, 2013.
-  T. Shibata, “Therapeutic Seal Robot as Biofeedback Medical Device: Qualitative and Quantitative Evaluations of Robot Therapy in Dementia Care,” Proc. of the IEEE, Vol.100, No.8, pp. 2527-2538, 2012.
-  M. R. Banks, L. M. Willoughby, andW. A. Banks, “Animal-assisted therapy and loneliness in nursing homes: Use of robotic versus living dogs,” J. of the American Medical Directors Association, Vol.9, pp. 173-177, 2008.
-  H. Robinson, B. Macdonald, N. Kerse, and E. Broadbent, “The psychosocial effects of a companion robot: a randomized controlled trial,” J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc., Vol.14, No.9, pp. 661-667, Sep. 2013.
-  A. Yokoyama, “What is Animal Therapy,” NHK Books, 1996.
-  Y. Kawaguchi et al., “Investigation of Brain Activity during Interaction with Seal Robot by fNIRS,” Proc. of IEEE RO-MAN 2011, pp. 308-313, 2011.
-  W. Moyle et al., “Exploring the Effect of Companion Robots on Emotional Expression in Older Adults With Dementia – A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial,” J. of Gerontological Nursing, Vol.39, No.5, pp. 46-53, 2013.
-  R. Eskander et al., Society of Gynecologic Oncologists (SGO), 44th Annual Meeting on Women’s Cancer, 351, 2013.
-  A. Burton, “Dolphins, dogs, and robot seals for the treatment of neurological disease,” Lancet Neurology, Vol.12, Issue 9, pp. 851-852, Sep. 2013.
-  Proc. of the 1st Int. Symposium on Robot Therapy with PARO, Tokyo, Sep. 29, 2012.
-  Proc. of the 2nd Int. Symposium on Robot Therapy with PARO, Tokyo, February 16, 2013.
-  Proc. of the 3rd Int. Symposium on Robot Therapy with PARO, Osaka, June 29, 2013.
-  Proc. of the 4th Int. Symposium on Robot Therapy with PARO, Tokyo, November 30, 2013.
-  T. Kidwood, “Dementia Reconsidered: the Person Comes First,” Open University Press, 1997.
-  N. Nishimura et al., “Clinical Case Studies of Application of PARO to Recovery Rehabilitation,” Proc. of the 2nd Symposium on Robot Therapy with PARO, pp. 45-48, 2013.
-  K. Matsuda, “Clinical Application of PARO to Recovery Rehabilitation,” Proc. of the 3rd Symposium on Robot Therapy with PARO, pp. 35-40, 2013.
-  L. Lauth and L. Plank, “PARO Study,” Report of Vincentian Collaborative System, 2010.
-  D. Noronha et al., “Robotic Therapy in Long-Term Care,” APA Annual Convention, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.