Development of Flexible Manufacturing System
Yasuhiko Yamazaki, Katsuhiko Sugito, and Sojiro Tsuchiya
DENSO Corporation, 1-1 Showa-cho, Kariya-shi, Aichi 448-8661, Japan
HVAC assembly line
Since Denso started its Flexible Manufacturing System (FMS) in the mid-1970s, we have continued to develop it in order to stay competitive in the face of market fluctuations. In this paper, we present a typical new production system that was developed at the end of the 20th century. One characteristic of this system is that it has a longer life and lower facility life cycle cost than do other production systems in existence. We think this system has high potential in terms of production innovations. Since one of the most important devices for FMS is the robot, we hope this paper will be a guide for new production systems and new device development.
-  K. Fukaya, S. Tsuchiya, and Y. Yamazaki, “Development of Revolutionary Automation Line for Meter Gauge,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.26, No.2, 2014.
-  The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, “Production System handbook,” CORONA Publishing Co., Ltd., 1992.
-  Y. Tsuru, “Innovation and Evaluation of a Production System,” Nippon Hyouronsya Co., Ltd., 2001.
-  T. Shinohara, “Impact from elimination of Conveyor. Selfcontained Cell Production,” NIKKEIMechanical, July 24th, pp. 20-38, 1995.
-  T. Shinohara, “Encouragement of Inhouse Machine,” NIKKEI Mechanical, August 5th, 1996.
-  T. Fugimoto, “The Theory of Evaluation of a Production System,” Yuhikaku Publishing Co., Ltd., 1997.
-  The Japan Society for Precision Engineering, “Foundation of Automatic Assembly,” Ohmusha Ltd., 1987.
-  T. Shanley, “Plug and Play Architecture,” MindShare, Inc., 1985.
-  M. Aoki, “New Programming Technique for Programmable Controller,” Kindaitosyo Co., Ltd., 1994.
-  T. Kai, “Foundation of Fieldbus,” Ohmusya Ltd., 1995.
-  T. Koyama, “Feature; Opening of Robot Controller, Denso Robot Controller NetwoRC,” Japan Robot Association, An organ bulletin Robot, No.121, 1998.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.