Measuring Particle Positions in Micro Channel with Multifiber Array
Ichiro Okuda*, Yasushi Mae*, Kenichi Ohara*,
Tomohito Takubo**, and Tatsuo Arai*
*Department of Systems Innovation, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
**Department of Physical Electronics and Informatics, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka City University, 3-3-138 Sugimoto, Sumiyoshi-ku, Osaka 558-8585, Japan
This paper proposes position measurement of particles in micro channels fabricated on a polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) chip using a two-layer plastic optical fiber (POF) array. Particle positions are measured by irradiating the POF array with laser light and measuring the decrease in POF output power posed by the presence of the particle. Our proposed sensor provides three dimensional measurements in the micro channel along the directions of the length, depth and the width. We demonstrate that plural particles of different diameters can be measured with our proposed sensor in which two layers of POF are vertically aligned or shifted along the flow direction. The effects of optical misalignment of POF array with respect to the measurement are theoretically and experimentally evaluated.
Tomohito Takubo, and Tatsuo Arai, “Measuring Particle Positions in Micro Channel with Multifiber Array,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.25, No.6, pp. 1105-1113, 2013.
-  Y. Mae and T. Arai, “Micro robotics for biological application,” System, Contrtol and Information, Vol.53, No.2, pp. 64-69, 2009.
-  Y. Yamanishi, S. Sakuma, T. Iyanagi, F. Arai, T. Arai, A. Hasegawa, T. Tanikawa, A. Ichikawa, O. Satoh, A. Nakayama, H. Aso, M. Goto, S. Takahashi, and K. Matsukawa, “Design and Fabrication of All-in-One Unified Microfluidic Chip for Automation of Embryonic Cell Manipulation,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 371-379, 2010.
-  T. Kawahara, T. Mizunuma, H. Uvet, M. Hagiwara, Y. Yamanishi, and F. Arai, “Development of on-chip automatic cell sensing and ejection system,” 14th Int. Conf. on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences, pp. 1781-1783, 2010.
-  K. Nakashima, H. Kanazawa, M. Takagi, S.Wakitani, and M. Inaki, “Development of the automatic cell processing machine for the adherent cell,” Inflammation and Regeneration, Vol.29, No.2, March 2009.
-  S.-Y. Lee, L.-X. Chen, J.-B. Choo, E.-K. Lee, and S.-H. Leeame, “Highly Sensitive Biological Analysis Using Optical Microfluidic Sensor,” J. of the Optical Society of Korea, Vol.10, Issue 3, pp. 130-142, 2006.
-  P. Mela, S. Onclin, M. H. Goedbloed, S. Levi, M. F. García-Parajó, N. F. van Hulst, B. J. Ravoo, D. N. Reinhoud, and A. van den Berg, “Monolayer-functionalized microfluidics devices for optical sensing of acidity,” The Royal Society of Chemistry 2005, Lab Chip, Vol.5, pp. 163-170, 2005.
-  S. Kim, L. Chen, and S. Lee, “Rapid DNA Hybridization Analysis Using a PDMS Microfluidic Sensor and a Molecular Beacon,” Analytical Sciences, Vol.23, pp. 401-405, April 2007.
-  C.Mou, K. Zhou, E. Davies, L. Zhang, and I. Bennion, “Fibre Laser Using a Microchannel Based Loss Tuning Element for Refractive Index Sensing,” Proc. of SPIE, Vol.7503, pp. 5D-1–5D4, 2009.
-  S. Thorslund, R. Larsson, F. Nikolajeff, J. Bergquist, and J. Sanchezame, “Bioactivated PDMS microchannel evaluated as sensor for human CD4+cells-The concept of a point-of-care method for HIV monitoring,” Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.123, pp. 847-855, 2007.
-  Y. Saitoh, I. Yamakawa, A. Kazusaka, K. Aoyanagi, and I. Sasaki, “Optical bio-sensing technique for metabolic enzyme and its application to food quality evaluation,” IEICE Tech. Rep., Vol.105, No.242, OFT2005-25, pp. 45-49, Aug. 2005.
-  T. Oba, Y. Kido, and Y. Nagasaka, “Development of laser-induced capillary wave method for viscosity measurement using pulsed carbon dioxide laser,” Int. J. of Thermophysics, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 1461-1474, 2004.
-  V. S. Tiwari, R. R. Kalluru, F. Y. Yueh, and J. P. Singh, “Fiber optic raman sensor to monitor the concentration ratio of nitrogen and oxygen in a cryogenic mixture,” Applied Optics, Vol.46, Issue 16, pp. 3345-3351, June 2007.
-  T. Hasegawa, T. Tsuji, K. Nakashima, and K. Ikuta, “Development of micro liquid installment injector,” Proc. of 23rd Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, p. 2A12, 2005.
-  Y.-C. Tung, M. Zhang, C.-T. Lin, K. Kurabayashi, and S.-J. Skerlos, “PDMS-based opto-fluidic micro flow cytometer with two-color, multi-angle fluorescence detection capability using PIN photodiodes,” Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.98, pp. 356-367, 2004.
-  K. Fujimoto, S. Kunimatsu, Y. Mae, T. Takubo, T. Arai, K. Inoue, and M. Yamada, “Implementation of cell detection mechanism on microfluidic chip,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 462-467, 2008.
-  M.-H. Wu, J. Wang, T. Taha, Z Cui, J. P. G. Urban, and Z. Cui, “Study of on-line monitoring of lactate based on optical fibre sensor and in-channel mixing mechanism,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 167-174, 2006.
-  G. L. Klunder and R. E. Russo, “Core-Based Intrinsic Fiber-Optic Absorption Sensor for the Detection of Volatile Organic Compounds,” Applied Spectroscopy, Vol.49, No.3, pp. 379-385, 1995.
-  H. Uvet, A. Hasegawa, K. Ohara, T. Takubo, Y. Mae, and T. Arai, “Vision-based automated single-cell loading and supply system,” IEEE Trans. on Nanobioscience, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 332-340, 2009.
-  I. Okuda, T. Arai, T. Takubo, A Hasegawa, Y. Mae, and K. Ohara, “Detection sensor for flowing particles in micro channel,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3679-3684, 2009.
-  I. Okuda, T. Arai, T. Takubo, A Hasegawa, Y. Mae, and K. Ohara, “Detection for Flowing Particles in Micro Channel with Multifiber Array Sensor,” SI2009, 2A1-K06, 2009.
-  I. Okuda, T. Takubo, Y. Mae, K. Ohara, F. Arai, and T. Arai, “Detection for Particles Moving in Micro Channel with Multifiber Array Sensor,” IEEJ Trans. on Sensors and Micromachine, Vol.132, No.7 pp. 203-211, 2012.
-  I. Okuda, Y. Mae, K. Ohara, T. Arai, and T. Takubo, “Measurement of Particle Position in Micro Channel using Two-Layer POF Array,” The 2012 IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics and Automation, pp. 1462-1467, 2012.
-  N. Hashizume, C. Saito, T. Shimizu, Y. Hashimoto, H.Maemoto, N. Nida, and A. Nishida, “Some problems encountered in the measurement of impulse response waveform and frequency transfer function of plastic optical fiber,” Memoirs of Hiroshima Institute of Technology, Vol.41, pp. 1-6, 2007.
-  H. Ukita, “Micromechanical Photonics,” Tokyo, Morikita Publishing Co., Ltd., 2002 (in Japanese). ISBN: 4-627-78371-X
-  H. Nakajima, “Optical design with Excel,” Tokyo, Advanced Communication Media Co., Ltd., 2004 (in Japanese). ISBN: 978-4-915851-29-2
-  N. Koyama, K. Ohara, A. Hasegawa, T. Takubo, Y. Mae, and T. Arai, “Multiple Cell Suction and Supply System for Automated Cell Manipulation on Microfluidic Channel,” 2011 IEEE Conf. on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE2011), pp. 678-683, Trieste, Italy, Aug. 24-27, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2013 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.